Author Topic: Kentucky High School Coach Gets Players Baptized  (Read 2988 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Kentucky High School Coach Gets Players Baptized
« on: September 09, 2009, 07:38:36 AM »
Kentucky High School Coach Gets Players Baptized

The actions of a Kentucky high school football coach have been questioned after he took nearly two dozen players on a field trip to an evangelist church service where nearly half the kids were baptized.

Breckinridge County High School Coach Scott Mooney last month used a public school bus to transport the kids approximately 35 miles but arranged for a volunteer driver and promised to pay for the gas himself, according to Superintendent Janet Meeks, who attended the service and witnessed the baptisms of her public school students.

"It was completely voluntary," Meeks told ABCNews.com, noting that of the team's 46 players, about 20 elected to go on the trip. Of those attendees, nine were baptized.

"They didn't get anything for attending," she said. "They didn't get anything for not attending."

The mothers of one of the baptized boys has said publicly that she was upset to learn her son had been baptized without her consent on a trip sponsored by a public school employee.

"Nobody should push their faith on anybody else," Michelle Ammons told the Louisville Courier-Journal." They have no right to take my son on a school bus across county lines to a church to be baptized."

But Meeks said that Ammons was the only parent to express disatisfaction with the trip. A couple of parents were in church at the time of the service.

MORE

Yes, the ACLU is investigating, and by their definition a trip organized by a high school coach = congress passing laws to establish a state religion.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Cineadh

• Probationary (Probie)
Re: Kentucky High School Coach Gets Players Baptized
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 04:29:03 PM »
If the coach spoke or sponsored the event while on the clock, then yeah, I can see why some might get fussed.  I mean, rules are rules. 

If he were off the clock and being a good friend, then that's something different alltogether.  My Latin teacher from high school took me to the church he pastored based on invitation after school.  I was hanging out in his classroom after school had gone out for the day (i.e. no one left in the class) and I brought up the subject of church to which he replied with the invitation.  Of course, we had both known by then of each others' religious beliefs and were comfortable with it.  Out of school he was a friend and mentor, not a teacher.

I wouldn't doubt that this was a similar situation with the coach.  Only those who were comfortable probably went as it was completely up to choice, and, I presume, the conversation about going took place after school/practice.

However, the fact that he took a school bus, property of a public school system, to take the kids to a church might have bent a few rules out there and could possibly get him into trouble.  And if he did invite the kids on the school's time, not his, then, yes, he could justifiably get into some trouble.
"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hengest - That Hideous Strength

"The best years of your life are the ones in which you decide your problems are your own. You do not blame them on your mother, your past, or your friends. You realize that you are responsible for your own choices." --Albert Ellis

"Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving." --Dale Carnegie

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 06:26:46 PM »
A public school employee has all the same rights of free speech, association, etc. as any other person.  Constitutionally, it would have been completely legal for him to personally invite the boys to become Christians, on school property, during school hours.  In point of fact, there is still no law against such an action...there are only court decisions.

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 12:51:29 PM »
He's NOT violating the 1st Amendment.
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Those that would prohibit the free exercise thereof are the ones, in fact, stepping on the Constitution. Had he told the students that they would fail or somehow otherwise coerced them on this trip, then he would be wrong.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 06:57:03 AM »
He's NOT violating the 1st Amendment.
Those that would prohibit the free exercise thereof are the ones, in fact, stepping on the Constitution. Had he told the students that they would fail or somehow otherwise coerced them on this trip, then he would be wrong.

Where does that leave parental rights Thor?  Has a parent not the right to raise their children in the traditions of their forefathers.?   Who has the nerve to tell a child that their heritage is all wrong and their roots are filled with people who went to hell.?

Suppose for one moment that the coach was a practicing Satenest and brought the kids to a Satanic baptism.  Or a practicing Muslem and brought them to a Mosque to decide if they wish to convert to Islam.?

Reverse this to bring Muslem students to a Christian church and baptising them, Oh bloody Hell what a ruckus that would cause.

Parents today  as forever it seems have a hard enough time raising even kids that follow the advice and life style of their parents.  Does this not further even a bigger problem for parents when their kids are told that their parents are not raising them correctly in any aspect.  If outsiders convince a kid his parents are going to Hell because of their beliefs why listen to the parent on any other moral teachings.?

Just what a kid needs that has a bit of a rebellious streak is to have outsiders give them an excuse to ignore the teaching of their parents and decide at a young age to put outsiders above their family's teachings.

I can see why family unity is being destroyed by well meaning outsiders, they say the family that prays together stays together. Now you come into that family's life and separate a child from the traditions and beliefs of the others in the family, make them an outsider to their siblings, parents, grandparents, Aunts and Uncles. Cousins, at the tender age of 13-17 then the circle has been broken for that child.

This is what cults do to young adults, separate the children from their family's identity and make the cult their family alienate them from their blood.

The actions of the Coach serves to drive a wedge between the child and their family.

If you are religious in any way, don't send your child to Church TAKE them., teach them and as an adult the child will have something under their belt to work with if they wish to either accept or reject things of the Spirit.

Parental rights to raise minor children in the faith of the family, to build a bond from the past to the present.  Parental rights to decide the upbringing of their child, what they eat, what they wear, what schools they attend and what Church they go to. 

When it comes to family unit this is so dangerous, a high school teacher telling children that their parents are evil or at best unconcerned with their soul. 

Ah what the heck, no law that says a child cannot be baptised in 100 different faiths, but, you get a kid that wants an excuse to jack up their parents, act out, this is tailored to give kids justification for any rule the family puts down.

Just another cult that separates a child from their family in order to serve their needs.

I believe that were any teacher or stranger were to interfear with my raising my kids, I at this day would just now be getting out of prison for using what I consider self defence for an attack on my family and my parental rights.

Sorry for the rant Thor, and yes I am following with much interest the young girl that says she is afraid to go home because she converted to Christianity.   She may be right on the money but I believe it is her brother she fears, but, that's another story.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 09:03:57 AM »
Where does that leave parental rights Thor?  Has a parent not the right to raise their children in the traditions of their forefathers.?   Who has the nerve to tell a child that their heritage is all wrong and their roots are filled with people who went to hell.?

Suppose for one moment that the coach was a practicing Satenest and brought the kids to a Satanic baptism.  Or a practicing Muslem and brought them to a Mosque to decide if they wish to convert to Islam.?

Reverse this to bring Muslem students to a Christian church and baptising them, Oh bloody Hell what a ruckus that would cause.

Parents today  as forever it seems have a hard enough time raising even kids that follow the advice and life style of their parents.  Does this not further even a bigger problem for parents when their kids are told that their parents are not raising them correctly in any aspect.  If outsiders convince a kid his parents are going to Hell because of their beliefs why listen to the parent on any other moral teachings.?

Just what a kid needs that has a bit of a rebellious streak is to have outsiders give them an excuse to ignore the teaching of their parents and decide at a young age to put outsiders above their family's teachings.

I can see why family unity is being destroyed by well meaning outsiders, they say the family that prays together stays together. Now you come into that family's life and separate a child from the traditions and beliefs of the others in the family, make them an outsider to their siblings, parents, grandparents, Aunts and Uncles. Cousins, at the tender age of 13-17 then the circle has been broken for that child.

This is what cults do to young adults, separate the children from their family's identity and make the cult their family alienate them from their blood.

The actions of the Coach serves to drive a wedge between the child and their family.

If you are religious in any way, don't send your child to Church TAKE them., teach them and as an adult the child will have something under their belt to work with if they wish to either accept or reject things of the Spirit.

Parental rights to raise minor children in the faith of the family, to build a bond from the past to the present.  Parental rights to decide the upbringing of their child, what they eat, what they wear, what schools they attend and what Church they go to. 

When it comes to family unit this is so dangerous, a high school teacher telling children that their parents are evil or at best unconcerned with their soul. 

Ah what the heck, no law that says a child cannot be baptised in 100 different faiths, but, you get a kid that wants an excuse to jack up their parents, act out, this is tailored to give kids justification for any rule the family puts down.

Just another cult that separates a child from their family in order to serve their needs.

I believe that were any teacher or stranger were to interfear with my raising my kids, I at this day would just now be getting out of prison for using what I consider self defence for an attack on my family and my parental rights.

Sorry for the rant Thor, and yes I am following with much interest the young girl that says she is afraid to go home because she converted to Christianity.   She may be right on the money but I believe it is her brother she fears, but, that's another story.

Nice pile of strawman arguments.  None of them happened, so they are irrelevant.

Looks like you didn't actually read the article.

Proverbs 22:6  Train up a child in he way he should go, and when he is old he wll not depart from it.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 02:11:31 PM »
Vesta, I'm pretty sure that these kids were old enough to make that decision to get baptized for themselves. These were high school students, after all. It's NOT like he took a bunch of first graders to a church, molded their impressionable minds into Christianity vs whatever their parents practiced. I was able to think for myself since 7th grade. Did I make mistakes?? Of course I did. However, I freely chose to get re-confirmed in my church when I was 13. ( I never understood why I had to be re-confirmed) My parents were behind me, but the decision was ultimately mine. As I understood the article, not all of the students on that field trip were baptized. Some chose to opt out without any repercussions.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson