Author Topic: Americans Say They're Well-Informed, But Dissatisfied With Coverage of Iraq  (Read 1839 times)

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
For five years, journalists have reported on the Iraq war from abroad and at home, telling stories about lives lost or forever changed, the economic impact of the war and the medical mistreatment of soldiers at Walter Reed Hospital.

A new study commissioned by The Poynter Institute to learn more about Americans' views on Iraq war coverage reveals that of the 8,683 adults surveyed earlier this month, 75 percent feel well-informed. But the majority of readers, viewers and listeners say they are still far from satisfied with the coverage.

Among participants of the online survey, conducted by Zogby International, 47 percent described the coverage as "poor" and 33 percent rated it "fair." About 16 percent called it "good," while 2 percent regarded it as "excellent." Of those surveyed, 90 percent describe themselves as active consumers of news.

The study reveals a deep dissatisfaction with war coverage and provides information journalists can use to learn more about what the public wants.

The survey, which was funded by the McCormick Foundation, provides a breakdown of the war-related topics participants consider "very important." Three-quarters consider coverage about stateside medical care of veterans very important. Fifty-six percent said stories on post traumatic stress disorder were very important. Participants also considered medical care the topic they have read and heard about most, followed by post traumatic stress disorder and the war's economic impact.

http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=101&aid=143774
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Hey, I resemble that poll!

I did take it when Zogby Interactive sent me the poll.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Well...one would have to look at the internals to see how this is skewed, which Zogby is infamous for, but one wonders how the American public can consider themselves "well informed" on Iraq, when the media coverage has been overwhelmingly antiwar??

It was only this morning that Fox aired a piece showing the Iraqi military taking control of Sadr City without a shot being fired, that was what I would consider a significant departure from the standard "(insert number) American soldiers killed/wounded today in Iraq" pieces that we have been subjected to for the past five years.......

I know that I am sure as hell pissed about the coverage......I think the biggest error that Rumsfeld (God bless him) made in the early days of the war was to allow "embedded reporters"....who them proceeded to slant virtually every report against the effort.....didn't make sense to me.

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.