Author Topic: Bush disappointed with intel before Iraq war  (Read 1877 times)

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
Bush disappointed with intel before Iraq war
« on: May 13, 2008, 07:49:15 PM »
WASHINGTON - President Bush said Tuesday he was disappointed in "flawed intelligence" before the Iraq war and was concerned that if a Democrat wins the presidency in November and withdrew troops prematurely it could "eventually lead to another attack on the United States."

In an interview with Politico magazine and Yahoo News, Bush also said he gave up golf in 2003 out of respect for U.S. soldiers killed in the war, which has now lasted more than five years.

"I didn't want some mom whose son may have recently died to see the commander in chief playing golf," he said. "I feel I owe it to the families to be in solidarity as best as I can with them. And I think playing golf during a war just sends the wrong signal."

Bush said he made his decision after the August 2003 bombing of the United Nations headquarters in Baghdad.

A question submitted from the online audience asked Bush whether he felt he had been misled about Iraq as he made the decision to go to war.

"`Misled' is a strong word," he said. "Not only our intelligence community, but intelligence communities all across the world shared the same assessment. And so I was disappointed to see how flawed our intelligence was."

"Do I think somebody lied to me? No, I don't. I think it was just, you know, they analyzed the situation and came up with the wrong conclusion," he added.

He acknowledged concerns about leaving the unfinished Iraq war to a Democratic successor. Both Barack Obama and Hillary Rodham Clinton have said they will bring troops home if elected.

Bush said his "doomsday scenario of course is that extremists throughout the Middle East would be emboldened, which would eventually lead to another attack on the United States."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080513/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bush_iraq
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline john c calhoun

Re: Bush disappointed with intel before Iraq war
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 10:21:57 AM »
the bogus intel came from paul wolfewitz & richard perles gang ....

should they be charged w/ treason ?

or can they be charged w/ treason, since they are prolly 'duel citizens' (ie: Israeli/American) ...

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 10:28:15 AM »
The President should regret nothing.  The intelligence was good and he knows it.  I don't know why he is choosing this path now.  The President has been very honest about the situation until this half-hearted capitulation.  Why the change?  Has the President decided honesty has brought him only misery? 

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 10:47:09 AM »
The President should regret nothing.  The intelligence was good and he knows it.  I don't know why he is choosing this path now.  The President has been very honest about the situation until this half-hearted capitulation.  Why the change?  Has the President decided honesty has brought him only misery? 

you nailed it

:bs:

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 05:24:31 PM »
Actually the intelligence did suck.  I remember thinking at the time, when the Administration went public with what they had, "That's it???  That's all the WMD program evidence they've got???  WTF???" -- of course, as a Soldier, I was up for whatever national policy called for and kicking his ass on general principles was fine with me, I figured we owed a lot of dead Shi'ites and Kurds that from the first time when we screwed the pooch on the armistice terms and then got them to revolt.

The intel picture of the entire Iraqi WMD program in 2003 was a house of cards built upon very limited information due to the dual points that we had virtually no HUMINT penetration in Iraq, and the fact that Saddam WANTED everyone to believe he had a vast and well-developed WMD program in order to intimidate them.  He vastly underestimated the desire to believe the wildest, worst-case extrapolations of the limited intelligence in the West, as well as the effect it would have.  Oh, he did indeed have WMD programs, however they were proceeding in a desultory and graft-ridden Arabic sort of way to nowhere in particular, and he ended up buying into a smackdown of monumental proportions instead of cowing the great powers to leave him alone as Boss Regional Despot.

That's life in the dictator biz.  Tough shit for him, he misguessedimatified the sitchamagation. 
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 06:32:28 PM »
The President and the Congress agreed by a overwhelming majority that S.H. had WMD's. We should not expect our leaders to be mind readers. The longer Repubs stay in office, the softer in the head they seem to get. I think he has been trying to upgrade his approval ratings and his legacy. It's not going to work during the election campaign.

Offline djones520

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 06:54:40 PM »
Actually the intelligence did suck.  I remember thinking at the time, when the Administration went public with what they had, "That's it???  That's all the WMD program evidence they've got???  WTF???" -- of course, as a Soldier, I was up for whatever national policy called for and kicking his ass on general principles was fine with me, I figured we owed a lot of dead Shi'ites and Kurds that from the first time when we screwed the pooch on the armistice terms and then got them to revolt.

The intel picture of the entire Iraqi WMD program in 2003 was a house of cards built upon very limited information due to the dual points that we had virtually no HUMINT penetration in Iraq, and the fact that Saddam WANTED everyone to believe he had a vast and well-developed WMD program in order to intimidate them.  He vastly underestimated the desire to believe the wildest, worst-case extrapolations of the limited intelligence in the West, as well as the effect it would have.  Oh, he did indeed have WMD programs, however they were proceeding in a desultory and graft-ridden Arabic sort of way to nowhere in particular, and he ended up buying into a smackdown of monumental proportions instead of cowing the great powers to leave him alone as Boss Regional Despot.

That's life in the dictator biz.  Tough shit for him, he misguessedimatified the sitchamagation. 

Nailed it.

Mistakes where made before hand.  It's that simple.  We where still right in doing what we did, but the info was bad.  If it wasn't bad, then we wouldn't have had all that reorganizing of our intelligence, and what not.

Did Saddam want WMD's?  No doubt in my mind.  Was he pursuing them?  Sure.  Did he have all the capabilities we thought he did?  Well I think that has been answered by now.  Yeah he had old stuff stock piled here and there, that we've managed to dig up so far.  I'm sure he knew where it was, and planned on using it at some point, but it's still not everything that we said.

At any rate, we where right for going in and whupping ass, we are right for still being there and whupping ass, and we will be right 5 years from now if where still there stomping Sammy Jihads ass, if need be.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 07:00:48 PM »
the bogus intel came from paul wolfewitz & richard perles gang ....

should they be charged w/ treason ?

or can they be charged w/ treason, since they are prolly 'duel citizens' (ie: Israeli/American) ...

Don't be bringing your dumb assed jew bating crap over here.
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!