Author Topic: US Senate kills bankruptcy revamp in housing bill  (Read 1711 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
US Senate kills bankruptcy revamp in housing bill
« on: April 03, 2008, 11:22:39 PM »
US Senate kills bankruptcy revamp in housing bill
 WASHINGTON, April 3 (Reuters) - The U.S. Senate on Thursday rejected a Democratic proposal that would have rewritten bankruptcy law to help struggling mortgage borrowers, while moving ahead with debate on a housing market rescue bill that includes a $6 billion tax break for home builders.

In a 58-36 vote, the Senate defeated an amendment offered by Assistant Senate Democratic Sen. Richard Durbin to empower bankruptcy judges to ease mortgage payment terms for distressed borrowers under strictly limited circumstances.

The Durbin amendment -- which would have affected only mortgages already in place upon enactment -- was opposed by the influential banking industry and Republicans, who were joined by 11 Democrats in voting to kill it.

Banking lobbyists and Republicans said the Durbin amendment would intrude on contracts and drive up interest rates.

"The provision I offered was narrowly tailored and provided real help to more than half a million American homeowners facing foreclosure," Durbin of Illinois said after the vote.

"Unfortunately, my amendment was strenuously opposed by the banking lobby and their powerful friends in the Bush Administration and in the Senate," he said.

The Senate then resumed debate on a broad housing bill it hammered out earlier this week as a scaled-back compromise drawn up by Democratic and Republican leaders.

On a separate track, the Durbin measure was approved as a bill by the Senate Judiciary Committee. That means it could return to the full Senate, but again face stiff opposition.

"I'm disappointed in today's outcome, but this is not the last word on the housing issue," Durbin said.

link

this is a ridiculously tendentious story.  the republicans are motivates by special interests and the banking
lobby. :whatever: al reuters, of course.

durbin's amendment was insane and economically suicidal.  it would have allowed bankruptcy judges to
completely rewrite mortgage terms at their whim.   and someone tell me how the solution to inflated
real estate prices isn't falling real estate prices?   I always thought that was called a market correction.
why is the congress getting involved in preventing the solution to a problem?

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
Re: US Senate kills bankruptcy revamp in housing bill
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 06:04:36 AM »
this is a ridiculously tendentious story.  the republicans are motivates by special interests and the banking

durbin's amendment was insane and economically suicidal.  it would have allowed bankruptcy judges to
completely rewrite mortgage terms at their whim.   and someone tell me how the solution to inflated
real estate prices isn't falling real estate prices?   I always thought that was called a market correction.

Because they can't help themselves. They forget what their job is and seem to legislating by poll.  Kinda like this usuless stimulus.....(thanks for giving me some of my money back)....they should be more worried about things that matter.
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 09:22:56 AM »
Thank goodness some sanity reigned. That would have been a nightmare. Judges have no business over-stepping in financial contracts. The bankruptcy courts exist for a reason, but there should be strict oversight.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 04:49:57 PM »
Good. If this was to pass, we will have another even BIGGER fiasco.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 05:46:45 PM »
...and someone tell me how the solution to inflated real estate prices isn't falling real estate prices?   I always thought that was called a market correction. Why is the congress getting involved in preventing the solution to a problem?

Why don't you know? Congress Critters are experts in everything! All they need to do is haul some poor guy up in in front of Congress and extract information from him. Then they will formulate the proper solution and implement it immediately! They're geniuses, they were ELECTED!!

Jeez, wake up. Bitch slap for you!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 06:01:33 PM »

Because they can't help themselves. They forget what their job is and seem to legislating by poll.  Kinda like this usuless stimulus.....(thanks for giving me some of my money back)....they should be more worried about things that matter.

well, wait.  there's that election thingy in november.  I am sure that has nothing at all to do with it.   :whatever:

everybody has to be seen caring as conspicuously as possible in an election year :whatever: