Author Topic: Pentagon braced for the release of 400,000 Iraq files on Wikileaks  (Read 4405 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour

The Pentagon is braced for its biggest-ever security breach of classified information as Wikileaks, the website that publishes leaked official documents, prepares to release 400,000 intelligence files related to the Iraq war.

A task force of 120 people has been assembled to assess the potential implications and damage of the disclosure of the documents, which promises to eclipse the recent release of more than 70,000 classified US military files on the Afghanistan war.

Col. Dave Lapan, the Pentagon spokesman, said the timing of the leak remained unclear but the Defence Department was ready for a document dump as early as Monday or Tuesday.

Some of the new data is said to be from a "tactical reports database" in Iraq that lists SIGACTS ("Significant activities") relating to major military operations, movement of personnel and alliances with key tribal figures and allies.

The Afghanistan release in July prompted, Admiral Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, to warn that WikiLeaks might cause the deaths of American troops and Afghan civilians named as cooperating with Nato forces because the documents contained names.

The documents detailed Nato concerns that the Pakistan intelligence services has backed the Taliban fight against US forces in Afghanistan, they also exposed an increasing number of Afghan civilians being killed by coalition troops. The leak also detailed how a secret "black" unit of special forces were allowed to hunt down and "capture or kill" Taliban leaders without trial.

More

Offline thundley4

Re: Pentagon braced for the release of 400,000 Iraq files on Wikileaks
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 09:30:17 PM »
I can't help but wonder if some of this will be damaging to President Bush, and by extension to other republicans. The timing stinks.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 09:38:31 PM »
I have two immediate thoughts;  first, there has got to be a way to stop this.  somehow or another, underhanded or not, covert or not.  this can be stopped.  second, it must be a lot easier than for a private to abscond with 500,000 classified documents without anyone noticing than I would have thought.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 09:51:56 PM »
They should have charged that last asshole that leaked the documents with treason, and executed him.  The founder of wikileaks should also be charged, and he should be on the "kill list" like that one American Imam is.  Treating the leaks seriously might put a damper on it.

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 09:57:56 PM »
Why won't the government grow some balls and prosecute these people?

If the documents are classified, why would you even let these people publish them on the internet for all to see?

It's not like the government doesn't know who's doing it.
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 09:58:40 PM »
They should have charged that last asshole that leaked the documents with treason, and executed him.  The founder of wikileaks should also be charged, and he should be on the "kill list" like that one American Imam is.  Treating the leaks seriously might put a damper on it.

I was speaking of something more on the order of a DoD backed denial of service attack on the wikileaks server, but I like the way you think. :-)

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 10:25:14 PM »
There is a discussion at the swamp (DU) where they are praising ASSange for being a whistleblower and leaking all these classified documents.  One poster who is ex-Military is challenging their praise for ASSange and getting smacked down by the very same DUmmies who kept calling for Cheney's head on a plate for allegedly leaking Valarie Plame's identity.  link to DUmmies discussion of the leaks
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 11:03:57 PM »

These people who leaked out the information should be hanged for treason. Same goes with anyone who supports them.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 11:05:01 PM »
There is a discussion at the swamp (DU) where they are praising ASSange for being a whistleblower and leaking all these classified documents.  One poster who is ex-Military is challenging their praise for ASSange and getting smacked down by the very same DUmmies who kept calling for Cheney's head on a plate for allegedly leaking Valarie Plame's identity.  link to DUmmies discussion of the leaks

Didn't Valerime Plame leak the identity herself if I recall.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Attero Dominatus

• VRWC Psionics Corps
  • Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 03:15:03 AM »
I can't help but wonder if some of this will be damaging to President Bush, and by extension to other republicans. The timing stinks.

Yes I agree. The timing stinks. Even if nothing in there is damaging to the GOP, the left will find some way to use it for their agenda.
Those who would trade their liberty for temporary security will get neither. --Benjamin Franklin.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 10:56:23 AM »
Didn't Valerime Plame leak the identity herself if I recall.

Naw. Robert Novak, syndicated columnist (now dead), is seen to have been one of the leakers, but leakers included Deputy SecState Dick Armitage and Karl Rove. The Wikipedia article "Plame affair" is very lengthy and contains lots of links to other sources if  you really want to get into it.

Scooter Libby, who was accused of the leak in court by Plame and her husband, who hated GWB, was found guilty of 4 counts of perjury, obstruction of justice, and being a white guy.  :whatever: He was sentenced to 2.5 years in jail, which GWB commuted.

The same idiot that prosecuted Blago, Patrick Fitzgerald, did this one too, and screwed it up so badly that we've got a Wikipedia article that can barely be understood by a Cray supercomputer.  :rotf:

Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 02:26:29 PM »
Naw. Robert Novak, syndicated columnist (now dead), is seen to have been one of the leakers, but leakers included Deputy SecState Dick Armitage and Karl Rove. The Wikipedia article "Plame affair" is very lengthy and contains lots of links to other sources if  you really want to get into it.

Scooter Libby, who was accused of the leak in court by Plame and her husband, who hated GWB, was found guilty of 4 counts of perjury, obstruction of justice, and being a white guy.  :whatever: He was sentenced to 2.5 years in jail, which GWB commuted.

The same idiot that prosecuted Blago, Patrick Fitzgerald, did this one too, and screwed it up so badly that we've got a Wikipedia article that can barely be understood by a Cray supercomputer.  :rotf:

I guess bein' on the cover of a nationally syndicated mag like Vanity, is still considered "hiding your identity, huh? Her and that scumball she's married to, did that waaaaaaaaaaaay before there was any question with Lord Rove or Armitage!

Those two were nothin' more than pawns for the DemonRat attack machine against George W!

I don't give a damn about any thing else! She did it to herself and then blamed "W" in order to score political scum credo! Ya don't think perhaps some operative she had contact with read that scumball mag?

Gimme a ****in' break!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline cavegal

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 02:43:37 PM »
Does this mean the documents that Sandy Burglar stole have been found?

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline littlelamb

• Banned
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2010, 02:59:59 PM »
I guess bein' on the cover of a nationally syndicated mag like Vanity, is still considered "hiding your identity, huh? Her and that scumball she's married to, did that waaaaaaaaaaaay before there was any question with Lord Rove or Armitage!

Those two were nothin' more than pawns for the DemonRat attack machine against George W!

I don't give a damn about any thing else! She did it to herself and then blamed "W" in order to score political scum credo! Ya don't think perhaps some operative she had contact with read that scumball mag?

Gimme a ****in' break!

I agree attention whores is all they were
Good girls are bad girls that never get caught.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies.

Offline true_blood

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2010, 08:07:42 PM »
These people who leaked out the information should be hanged for treason. Same goes with anyone who supports them.
I agree.
Doesn't this put our troops in greater danger? I can't believe these files cannot be stopped somehow. Too bad.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2010, 08:10:35 PM »
I agree.
Doesn't this put our troops in greater danger? I can't believe these files cannot be stopped somehow. Too bad.

If and it is  a big IF the feds wanted to stop wikileaks they could do it.  If they shut down the site through whatever means in the name of national security, I wouldn't have a problem with it in this case.

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2010, 10:06:42 PM »
If and it is  a big IF the feds wanted to stop wikileaks they could do it.  If they shut down the site through whatever means in the name of national security, I wouldn't have a problem with it in this case.

You forget the O'Bumbler is playin' at CIC! He sees this as a way to blame Bush! They'll let it go just for the mere fact they can make it look like a reason to not blame the "One"!

This ****er is so wound up in his own image, national security be damned, if he can make himself look better!

And I thought Cahtah was a POS!

I can't imagine why some patriot hasn't taken the country's security in their own hands, provided they know where they can find this dipshit!

I know if I was in the vicinity, he ought to be lookin' over his shoulder!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2010, 08:49:24 AM »
We really just need to be as ruthless with this asshole as everyone who supports him thinks we are already.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2010, 10:15:43 AM »
We really just need to be as ruthless with this asshole as everyone who supports him thinks we are already.

Were that truly the case, Assagne would be having a .308 caliber headache right about now, and Private Manning would be the bitch of the day at the Florence, CO Supermax until he was begging to be strapped down to the gurney to take the dirt nap cocktail.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2010, 11:41:07 AM »
Please, it would be pair of nondescript, locally procured .22 'headache pills' from a throwaway black piece.  And...?

:innocent:

Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline true_blood

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2010, 01:44:50 PM »
I would not have a problem with it as well. For our troops, that are fighting for our freedom and safety. They are worth it.
Everything in America seems to be so ass backwards these days. I wonder why,.....?! :whatever: ::)

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2010, 03:36:01 PM »
it will be a miracle of a single person in either iran or afghanistan (or anywhere else, for that matter) ever cooperates with us again.

no good came come of this document dump.  the jackoff owner of wikileaks is either trading the lives of american soldiers for notoriety, or he is killing them just for the hell of it.  the world would be an improved place if a violent end came to this cretin.  and soon.

Pentagon: New WikiLeaks Doc Dump Endangers Lives of Iraqi Informants

The potential danger to the lives of U.S. war allies as a result of the impending release of 400,000 pages of classified Iraq war documents compares to the damage caused by this summer's leak of 77,000 documents on the Afghan war, Pentagon spokesman Col. Dave Lapan said Friday.

Lapan said Pentagon officials don't expect any huge surprises from the scheduled dump of classified "significant activities" documents by whistleblower website WikiLeaks, but he repeated his warning that releasing the identification of individuals who worked in close cooperation with U.S. and allied forces puts their lives at risk.

"We know terrorist organizations have been mining the leaked Afghan documents for information to use against us and this Iraq leak is more than four times as large. By disclosing such sensitive information, WikiLeaks continues to put at risk the lives of our troops, their coalition partners and those Iraqis and Afghans working with us," Lapan said in a statement.

More

Offline cavegal

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2010, 03:45:31 PM »
it will be a miracle of a single person in either iran or afghanistan (or anywhere else, for that matter) ever cooperates with us again.

no good came come of this document dump.  the jackoff owner of wikileaks is either trading the lives of american soldiers for notoriety, or he is killing them just for the hell of it.  the world would be an improved place if a violent end came to this cretin.  and soon.

I really believe they want soldiers or anyone who cooperated with us dead/destroyed.  :bawl: :banghead: :censored: :censored: :censored:

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16