Author Topic: Detroit Mayor Charged With Perjury  (Read 3576 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Detroit Mayor Charged With Perjury
« on: March 24, 2008, 11:23:09 AM »
Detroit Mayor Charged With Perjury

DETROIT (AP) - Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, a one-time rising star and Detroit's youngest elected leader, was charged Monday with perjury and other counts after sexually explicit text messages contradicted his sworn denials of an affair with a top aide.
Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy also charged the popular yet polarizing 37-year-old mayor with obstruction of justice and misconduct in office.

Former Chief of Staff Christine Beatty, 37, who also denied under oath that she and Kilpatrick had a romantic relationship in 2002 and 2003, was charged with perjury and obstruction of justice.

"Some have suggested that the issues in this case are personal or private," Worthy said.

"The justice system has been severely mocked and the public trust trampled on. ... This case is about as far from being a private matter as one can get," she said.

The charges could signal the end of Kilpatrick's six-year career as mayor of one of America's largest cities.

Perjury is a felony, punishable by up to 15 years in prison. But for Kilpatrick, a conviction also would mean his immediate expulsion from office. The Detroit City Charter calls for any elected official convicted of a felony while in office to be removed.

MORE

I hope he has already endorsed the obamanation.   :evillaugh:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

Re: Detroit Mayor Charged With Perjury
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 11:26:18 AM »
Oh! It's time for another round of GUESS THE PARTY!
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 11:28:57 AM »
FINALLY!  But what are the odds that he'll actually be convicted?

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 11:50:31 AM »

I am sure that the argument will be that since bill clinton got off (no pun in tended) for the same offense, that Kwame Lemmonjello (or whatever) should get off free, too.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 11:52:45 AM »

I am sure that the argument will be that since bill clinton got off (no pun in tended) for the same offense, that Kwame Lemmonjello (or whatever) should get off free, too.

You't think the dims would have learned at least something from slickwillie... the charges are for perjury, not adultery.   :whatever:

Offline THA HOUSTON PIMP IS IN DA HOUZ!

• I pimp; you GET pimped.
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 11:58:27 AM »

What else would you expect from Al-AP?

:banghead:

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 12:04:40 PM »

What else would you expect from Al-AP?

:banghead:

lug beat me to the story by a few minutes;  I was going to post the al-reuters story, which played the political party very prominently . . .

Detroit's Democratic mayor indicted in sex scandal

Offline Chris_

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 12:43:47 PM »
FINALLY!  But what are the odds that he'll actually be convicted?
slim to none. Momma's got stroke...the Coleman Young machine still exists in Detroit.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 12:44:43 PM »
IT'S JUST ABOUT SEX!!!  IT'S JUST ABOUT SEX!!!  [/DUmoonbatmode]
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 01:57:44 PM »
Looks like The Clenis  was his mentor.

BTW, how do you pronounce this guy's first name  :confused:
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama

Offline RedTail

• I can has title? ^_^
  • A little bit of Anti-Hero goes a LONG way.
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 01:59:38 PM »
Looks like The Clenis  was his mentor.

BTW, how do you pronounce this guy's first name  :confused:

K-wami.

At least that's how I heard it.

*TKay*

Offline Chris_

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 02:07:58 PM »
Kwa me

soft a

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 03:43:32 PM »
And the media will move on to the next story. Unlike Mark Foley, Larry Craig, etc....

*eyeroll*
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline THA HOUSTON PIMP IS IN DA HOUZ!

• I pimp; you GET pimped.
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 11:35:09 PM »
And the media will move on to the next story. Unlike Mark Foley, Larry Craig, etc....

*eyeroll*

Nationally perhaps, but locally he's been dogged by the media like a cute nurse in a senior center.

big deal.    the MSM will not emphasize that thiis chumpzilla is a DEMOCRAT.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 11:58:38 PM »

It would be funny if it weren't so sad...

ABC, CBS and NBC All Fail to ID Indicted Mayor as a Democrat

Two weeks since the ABC and NBC evening shows took multiple days before getting around to informing viewers that disgraced New York Governor Eliot Spitzer belonged to the Democratic Party -- after every ABC, CBS and NBC morning and evening news program last year immediately highlighted the party of Republican Senators David Vitter and Larry Craig -- Monday's broadcast network evening newscasts all failed to note, verbally or on-screen, Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick's party.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/brent-baker/2008/03/24/abc-cbs-nbc-all-fail-id-indicted-mayor-democrat

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2008, 06:19:19 AM »

*eyeroll*

Nationally perhaps, but locally he's been dogged by the media like a cute nurse in a senior center.

Exactly. They will be helping it slip through the cracks as smoothly and quietly as possible. There shall be no light-shedding on the stains of the Democrat party.
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama

Offline Chris_

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2008, 10:23:50 AM »

It would be funny if it weren't so sad...

ABC, CBS and NBC All Fail to ID Indicted Mayor as a Democrat

Two weeks since the ABC and NBC evening shows took multiple days before getting around to informing viewers that disgraced New York Governor Eliot Spitzer belonged to the Democratic Party -- after every ABC, CBS and NBC morning and evening news program last year immediately highlighted the party of Republican Senators David Vitter and Larry Craig -- Monday's broadcast network evening newscasts all failed to note, verbally or on-screen, Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick's party.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/brent-baker/2008/03/24/abc-cbs-nbc-all-fail-id-indicted-mayor-democrat

Nothing new with the MSM.  At least they're consistent.  :mental: