Author Topic: Stories & Opinions Worth Knowing but Maybe Not Quite Threadworthy 9/13  (Read 502 times)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
BREAKING: Mitt Romney Says He Won't Run for Senate in 2024

https://redstate.com/smoosieq/2023/09/13/breaking-mitt-romney-says-he-wont-run-for-senate-in-2024-n2163774

Utah's junior Senator, Mitt Romney, announced on Wednesday that he will not be seeking reelection in 2024. The 76-year-old was elected in 2018, following stints as the Governor of Massachusetts (2003-2007) and presidential candidate in 2008 and 2012 (becoming the GOP nominee in the latter).

Romney has remained in the moderate wing of the party, and famously clashed with former President Donald Trump during the 2016 presidential election, delivering a highly critical speech on March 3, 2016, calling on Republicans to choose a nominee other than Trump. Following Trump's win in November, however, Romney reportedly angled for the Secretary of State position, which ultimately went to Rex Tillerson. In 2020, Romney broke ranks with his fellow Republican senators and voted to convict Trump following the first impeachment. (He was joined by five other Republicans in voting to convict following the second impeachment in 2021.)

Romney made his announcement in a video posted to social media:

In the two-and-a-half-minute video, Romney touted his own achievements while acknowledging that he'd be in his mid-80s at the end of another term, were he to seek one. He emphasized the need for a new generation of leaders, noting "They're the ones that need to make the decisions that will shape the world they will be living in." He also offered some criticisms of both President Biden and former President Trump:

You know, contrary to a lot of expectations, I enjoy my work in the Senate a good deal. The last few years have been particularly productive, as I was able to help lead and negotiate the bipartisan Infrastructure law, a comprehensive China strategy process, religious liberty protections, a compromise gun safety law, the Electoral Count Act reform, and emergency COVID relief funding.

I was also able to help secure key Utah priorities, including funding for Hill Air Force Base and its program to modernize our nuclear deterrent, as well as funding for wildfire prevention, water infrastructure, rural broadband, removal of uranium tailings from Moab, expansion and restoration of our highway and transit infrastructure, and federal studies to save the Great Salt Lake.

I've spent my last 25 years in public service of one kind or another. At the end of another term, I'd be in my mid-80s. Frankly, it's time for a new generation of leaders. They're the ones that need to make the decisions that will shape the world they will be living in.

Now, we face critical challenges: mounting national debt, climate change, and the ambitious authoritarians of Russia and China. Neither President Biden nor former President Trump are leading their party to confront those issues. On deficits and debt, both men refuse to address entitlements, even though they know that this represents two-thirds of federal spending. Donald Trump calls global warming a hoax, and President Biden offers feel-good solutions that make no difference to the global climate. On China, President Biden underinvests in the military, and President Trump underinvests in our alliances. Political motivations too often impede the solutions that these challenges demand. The next generation of leaders must take America to the next stage of global leadership.

While I'm not running for reelection, I'm not retiring from the fight. I'll be your United States senator until January of 2025. I will keep working on these and other issues, and I'll advance our state's numerous priorities. I look forward to working with you and with folks across our state and nation in that endeavor. It really is a profound honor to serve Utah and the country, and I thank you for giving me the opportunity to do so.

As RedState previously reported, Riverton, Utah, Mayor Trent Staggs has already declared his run for the seat, as has Utah Speaker of the House Brad Wilson.

Staggs shared his thoughts on Romney's announcements on X (formerly Twitter):

Our Neil McCabe interviewed Staggs in late July and will have more reaction from him shortly.

A bright spot in the news for today. Mittens, the career politician that is only interested in feathering his own nest, has decided he doesn't like to be singled out at the Salt Lake City airport by disgruntled voters and chased out of his seat. The video has been taken down off Twitter, but I enjoyed watching it at the time it was up.

Mittens was and still is a  :loser:

https://www.newsweek.com/mitt-romney-viral-video-donald-trump-supporter-1559248

« Last Edit: September 14, 2023, 06:16:49 AM by Eupher »
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
Re: Stories & Opinions Worth Knowing but Maybe Not Quite Threadworthy 9/13
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2023, 03:42:01 PM »
BREAKING: Mitt Romney Says He Won't Run for Senate in 2024

...A bright spot in the news for today. Mittens, the career politician that is only interested in feathering his own nest, has decided he doesn't like to be singled out at the Salt Lake City by disgruntled voters and chased out of his seat. The video has been taken down off Twitter, but I enjoyed watching it at the time it was up.

Mittens was and still is a  :loser:

Oh thank Dog for small miracles.

The early polling must have been been even worse than he was expecting, whatever he says his actual excuse for not running again is. Good to know I'm not the only one around here who sees him for the feckless 'Liz Cheney-esque' carpetbagging RINO he is.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2023, 04:21:30 PM »
Good riddance and don’t let the door hit you on the way out! :loser: :loser: :loser:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2023, 08:49:32 PM »
Chicago mayor faces pushback from local leaders for plan to house migrants in tents: ‘Help your people first'
https://www.foxnews.com/media/chicago-mayor-faces-pushback-local-leaders-plan-house-migrants-tents-help-your-people-first

Democrat Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson is facing opposition from local leaders after he asked that "all 50 city council members" find space in their wards to help house "more than 200 migrants" in tents, according to a new report.

But some aldermen are pushing back on Johnson’s plans.

"I've looked in my ward. I just don't have any available space. I have one of the most dense wards in the city," Alderman Brian Hopkins said, according to ABC7 Chicago.

Alderman David Moore of the 17th Ward called on Chicago to help its own community first.

"I'm a believer in help your people first, help yourselves first, help your community first. Then reach out and help others," Moore said.

Chicago wanted to be a Sanctuary City. They got their wish. How is that working out, eh?
:ownit:
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2023, 06:22:17 AM »
Oh thank Dog for small miracles.

The early polling must have been been even worse than he was expecting, whatever he says his actual excuse for not running again is. Good to know I'm not the only one around here who sees him for the feckless 'Liz Cheney-esque' carpetbagging RINO he is.

Ugh. I missed adding the word "airport" after "Salt Lake City." That video showed Mittens seated at a SLC airport gate fiddling with his laptop while an unseen woman brandishing a camera called him out for his, well, being Mittens. He was clearly irritated, largely because in his puny mind his fiddling on the laptop was instrumental in saving the world. She had the temerity of interrupting him, so he berated her for not wearing a mask (this was back in the dark days of mask mandates, designer masks, and Fauci-worship). She jeered and chided him, whereupon he packed up his laptop and huffily stalked away, no doubt to a safer haven.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2023, 06:44:57 AM »
Chicago mayor faces pushback from local leaders for plan to house migrants in tents: ‘Help your people first'
https://www.foxnews.com/media/chicago-mayor-faces-pushback-local-leaders-plan-house-migrants-tents-help-your-people-first

Chicago wanted to be a Sanctuary City. They got their wish. How is that working out, eh?
:ownit:

The solution is for every democrat who wants open borders and sanctuary cities should be forced to take at least 15 illegal home with them and house and feed them. :thatsright:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!