Author Topic: Stories & Opinions Worth Knowing but Maybe Not Quite Threadworthy 5/28  (Read 295 times)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Democrats, Republicans Reach A Tentative Debt Ceiling Agreement

This looks like a McCarthy surrender to me, but the devil's in the details. Last I had heard, spending was to be rolled back to 2022 levels -- not 2023.

Update:

McCarthy said that the House will vote on Wednesday and that the text of the debt ceiling agreement will be available to members on Sunday. 

"I expect to finish the writing of the bill, checking with the White House and speaking to the president again, tomorrow afternoon and then posting the text of it tomorrow," McCarthy said. "It has historic reductions in spending, consequential reforms that will lift people out of poverty into the workforce, reign in government overreach. There are no new taxes, no new government programs. There’s a lot more within the bill."

An agreement between Republicans and Democrats has been reached regarding the looming debt ceiling crisis.

According to sources, President Joe Biden and House Speaker Republican Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif) reached a tentative deal to raise the federal government's $31.4 trillion debt ceiling, ending months-long discussions.

Biden also reportedly spoke with Democrat Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer and House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries.

Details were not entirely clear, however, negotiators reportedly agreed to cap non-defense discretionary spending at 2023 levels for two years, in exchange for a debt ceiling increase over a similar period.

One source had doubts that the agreement would be final.

"But, I'm not sure it's completely settled. It might be one or two small things they need to finish. But close enough to move forward," the source said.

Biden and McCarthy reportedly had a 90-minute phone call on Saturday evening to discuss the deal.

"We do not have a deal," McCarthy told reporters earlier. "We are not there yet. But, we did make progress; we worked well into early this morning. And we're back at it now."

McCarthy said that House Republicans will have 72 hours to view debt ceiling deal before they vote on it. If the agreement is released tonight, the clock will start ticking. A House vote to raise the debt ceiling could come as early as Tuesday evening.

A call between all GOP House members is scheduled to happen at 9:30 p.m. about the debt limit negotiations.

The Treasury Department warned on Friday that the U.S. could run out of money if the debt ceiling is not raised by June 5.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Bedlam at City Council: Somali ‘Culture’ Takes Minneapolis by Storm

In a May 11, 2023 article, we explored the oft-repeated claim that all cultures are created equal—or, in Pope Francis’s words, “Never again can the Christian community allow itself to be infected by the idea that one culture is superior to others.”

Two days later, that claim was put to test right here in the USA, when all bedlam broke lose in Minneapolis.  On May 13, 2023:

A riot erupted in Minnesota during Democrat nominations for Minneapolis City Council on Saturday, which led to no candidate being chosen in Ward 10 after officials were forced to shut down the event over safety concerns.

Somalian supporters of city council candidate Nasri Warsame turned to political violence and reportedly assaulted Minneapolis city council member Aisha Chughtai and her supporters when she took the stage to speak at the Democratic–Farmer–Labor Party’s endorsing convention…

Video [here] shows Warsame supporters forcefully jumping on stage, banging on tables, waving signs, and shouting over both Chughtai and her supporters.

Unable to contain the disruption, convention chairman Sam Doten was forced to adjourn the meeting without a candidate being chosen citing safety reasons, and called the situation a great “embarrassment”…

Such a scene may be “embarrassing” for the American landscape, but it is also part and parcel of Somali culture.  Violence and chaos are precisely how “politics” are practiced in Somalia, one of the most lawless, restless, and tribal nations in the world.

That Somalis felt comfortable enough to enact their culture here in America is connected to the unwavering Rule of Numbers: the more non-Westerners, especially Muslims, grow in the West, the more phenomena endemic to their nations—in this case, a breakdown of law and rise in thuggery—grows with them.

As such and considering that Somalis make up nearly 20% of the population of Minneapolis, the deplorable display at that recent city council, while “embarrassing,” should certainly not be surprising.

Somalia, incidentally, is also one of the world’s most radical Muslim nations.  When it comes to the persecution of Christians—always a litmus test concerning the “extremism” of any given country—Somalia is considered the second worst nation in the world (following North Korea), and the worst Muslim nation in the world (which is saying much since 39 of the 50 worst persecuting nations are Islamic). According to Open Doors, in Somalia,

Imams in mosques and madrassas state publicly that there is no room for Christianity, Christians or churches. The violent insurgent group al-Shabaab has repeatedly expressed its desire to eradicate Christians from the country. Christians from Muslim backgrounds are regarded as high-value targets and may be killed on the spot if discovered.
Al Shabaab—“the youth” in Arabic, a vile organization pledged to the Islamic State—is very popular in Somalia.  As such, one wonders how many Somalis living in America share in Al Shabaab’s worldview—its culture?

By his very appearance, specifically his Salafi beard, the Somali who instigated all the recent political violence, “city council candidate” Nasri Warsame—who even the Democrat Party of Minn. went on to ban in perpetuity—certainly seems reminiscent of Somalia’s radical “youths.”  While few Americans understand this, and likely “cringe” at the very suggestion that how one wears their hair or beard is suggestion of anything internal, every Muslim knows that Muslim men who wear mustache-less beards are (as more closely discussed here) signaling themselves as “radical Muslims” (to use American terminology).

At any rate, here is what America is not only importing, but implicitly approving of in the name of “multiculturalism.”  After all, and despite the videotaped evidence of violence and the fact that some people were hurt and hospitalized, “no arrests were made.”

This is what happens when major metropolitan areas become "sanctuary cities." Instead of those "immigrants" (who are mostly illegals) assimilating, they bring their "culture" and ram it down the throats of American citizens.

Nice job, Minneapolis.  :whatever:

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
‘Illegal, Unethical,’ and ‘Unjust’: Ken Paxton Slams Texas Republicans Impeaching Him

”I am beyond grateful to have the support of millions of Texans who recognize that what we just witnessed is illegal, unethical, and profoundly unjust.” Texas Republican Attorney General Ken Paxton angrily critiqued his fellow Republicans’ efforts to impeach him Saturday and insisted he has his voters’ support.

The Republican-majority Texas House of Representatives moved to impeach the Paxton Saturday “on charges of bribery and abuse of public trust,” The Post Millennial reported. Paxton, who has often been a vocal conservative voice against damaging Democrat policies, is slamming his fellow Republicans for moving to impeach him, which has suspended him from his office. According to Paxton, it’s “political retribution” at a time when Republicans should be focusing on more pressing issues such as illegal migration and the Chinese Communist Party (CCP).

Paxton tweeted on May 27, “I am beyond grateful to have the support of millions of Texans who recognize that what we just witnessed is illegal, unethical, and profoundly unjust. I look forward to a quick resolution in the Texas Senate, where I have full confidence the process will be fair and just.”

The embattled AG’s tweet included a full statement from him on the impeachment efforts. “The ugly spectacle in the Texas House today confirmed the outrageous impeachment plot against me was never meant to be fair or just,” Paxton insisted. “It was a politically motivated sham from the beginning. My office made every effort to present evidence, testimony, and irrefutable facts that would have disproven the countless false statements and outright lies advanced by Speaker Dade Phelan and the Murr-Johnson panel he appointed.” According to Paxton, Phelan, et al. “disregarded the law, ignored the facts, and demonstrated contempt for Texas voters.”

Multiple prominent conservatives and anti-establishment voices, including Donald Trump Jr., supported Paxton and slammed the moderate Phelan’s attack on Paxton. Phelan has also been accused of “slow-rolling” conservative issues in the Texas House.

Paxton picked up on that in his statement. He accused Phelan and other Republicans of “political retribution against conservatives” instead of focusing on “critical legislation” to “strengthen our border, protect our elections, or stop the Chinese Communist Party from buying up Texas land.” Instead, “they chose to spend the final days of the legislative session smearing me.”

Then Paxton went one step further, accusing Phelan and his fellow “liberal Republicans” of being “in lockstep with the Biden Administration, the abortion industry, anti-gun zealots, and woke corporations to sabotage my work as Attorney General, including our ongoing litigation to stop illegal immigration, uphold the rule of law, and protect the constitutional rights of every Texan.” Paxton continued:

But the people of Texas know that I have always had their back, and in return, they have always had mine. What we witnessed today is not just about me. It is about the corrupt establishment’s eagerness to overpower the millions of Texas voters who already made their voices heard when they overwhelmingly re-elected me.
Paxton ended with an expression of confidence that the Texas Senate will provide a “quick resolution” in his favor.

Donald Trump once said, “In reality, they’re not after me, they’re after you. I’m just in the way.” Paxton is taking the same line in defending himself against moderate Republicans’ persecution.

Apart from the terms "bribery" this article doesn't state specifically why Paxton was impeached. I went to CNN for more detail:

a yearslong pattern of corruption, including abusing his office’s powers, retaliating against whistleblowers and obstructing justice.

The interesting thing is, Texas law states that once an official is impeached, he's temporarily relieved of duties pending the results of the Senate trial.

:popcorn:

Offline Rick

• Crazy old man
I'm thinking Ward 10 needs to be a destination for Mexican emigrents.

Offline SVPete

Target Store Bomb Threats Sent By Angry Pro-Pride Left-Winger!

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/megan-fox/2023/05/27/target-store-bomb-threats-sent-by-angry-pro-pride-left-winger-n1698595

After several days of telling the media that Target’s stores were under threat from people who objected to their pride display and satanic merchandise to celebrate transgender ideology, an email that detailed a bomb threat was sent to media outlets.

It should not surprise you to find out that this email was sent by an LGBTQ fanatic who was upset that the store removed some items from its Pride display. Target started pulling some of the items from their stores after boycotts were organized by customers who don’t want to see Pride merchandise targeted at their children including bathing suits with tucking technology.

The email read, “Target is full of [redacted] cowards who turned their back on the LGBTQ community and decided to cater to the homophobic right wing redneck bigots who protested and vandalized their store we won’t stand idly by as the far right continues to hunt us down we are sending you a message we placed a bomb in the following targets.”

The terrorist then listed five different targets in Ohio and Pennsylvania ...

Anyone surprised the threats were from a TransActivist? I didn't follow this story closely ... did Target reveal or conceal this detail in their initial PR pronouncement?
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline SVPete

Eric Adams Signs Bill Banning Weight Discrimination, Says ‘Body Type’ Not Connected ‘To Whether You’re Healthy Or Unhealthy’

https://www.dailywire.com/news/eric-adams-signs-bill-banning-weight-discrimination-says-body-type-not-connected-to-whether-youre-healthy-or-unhealthy

New York City Democratic Mayor Eric Adams claimed Friday that “body type” has no connection to a person’s health after signing a bill banning height and weight discrimination.

The bill signed by Adams prohibits discrimination on the basis of height and weight for employment, housing, and public accommodations in the city. The bill contains an exception for employers who need to consider height and weight to abide by federal, state, or local laws and regulations. After signing the legislation, Adams discussed why he believes it’s necessary and made a scientifically erroneous statement.

“Everyone knows that I’m a person that believes in health, so when you talk about not discriminating against someone because of their body type, it’s not fighting against obesity; it’s just being fair,” the mayor said, adding, “And science has shown that body type is not a connection to if you are healthy or unhealthy. I think that’s a misnomer.”

1. I'm pretty sure there are decades, maybe more than a century, of data proving Adams' claim absurd.

2. Does this mean theaters and buses and restaurants and ??? will have to provide expando-seats and -booths for :o spheroid :o  people? E.G. the female in this news story?
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Old n Grumpy

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/megan-fox/2023/05/27/target-store-bomb-threats-sent-by-angry-pro-pride-left-winger-n1698595

Anyone surprised the threats were from a TransActivist? I didn't follow this story closely ... did Target reveal or conceal this detail in their initial PR pronouncement?

If lgbtqrxyz+++ people are such an important market why haven’t any Homo Depo stores been opened?
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline Old n Grumpy

Bedlam at City Council: Somali ‘Culture’ Takes Minneapolis by Storm

Such a scene may be “embarrassing” for the American landscape, but it is also part and parcel of Somali culture.  Violence and chaos are precisely how “politics” are practiced in Somalia, one of the most lawless, restless, and tribal nations in the world.

That Somalis felt comfortable enough to enact their culture here in America is connected to the unwavering Rule of Numbers: the more non-Westerners, especially Muslims, grow in the West, the more phenomena endemic to their nations—in this case, a breakdown of law and rise in thuggery—grows with them.

As such and considering that Somalis make up nearly 20% of the population of Minneapolis, the deplorable display at that recent city council, while “embarrassing,” should certainly not be surprising.

Somalia, incidentally, is also one of the world’s most radical Muslim nations.  When it comes to the persecution of Christians—always a litmus test concerning the “extremism” of any given country—Somalia is considered the second worst nation in the world (following North Korea), and the worst Muslim nation in the world (which is saying much since 39 of the 50 worst persecuting nations are Islamic). According to Open Doors, in Somalia,
Al Shabaab—“the youth” in Arabic, a vile organization pledged to the Islamic State—is very popular in Somalia.  As such, one wonders how many Somalis living in America share in Al Shabaab’s worldview—its culture?

By his very appearance, specifically his Salafi beard, the Somali who instigated all the recent political violence, “city council candidate” Nasri Warsame—who even the Democrat Party of Minn. went on to ban in perpetuity—certainly seems reminiscent of Somalia’s radical “youths.”  While few Americans understand this, and likely “cringe” at the very suggestion that how one wears their hair or beard is suggestion of anything internal, every Muslim knows that Muslim men who wear mustache-less beards are (as more closely discussed here) signaling themselves as “radical Muslims” (to use American terminology).

At any rate, here is what America is not only importing , but implicitly approving of in the name of “multiculturalism.”  After all, and despite the videotaped evidence of violence and the fact that some people were hurt and hospitalized, “no arrests were made.”

This is what happens when major metropolitan areas become "sanctuary cities." Instead of those "immigrants" (who are mostly illegals) assimilating, they bring their "culture" and ram it down the throats of American citizens.

Nice job, Minneapolis.  :whatever:

Bringing an uncivilized violent culture into this country was a big mistake  :thatsright:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline ADsOutburst

Target is another lesson in how to become hated by everybody.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Target is another lesson in how to become hated by everybody.

I haven't set foot in a Tar-jay in probably 7 years or so. And will never. Go woke, get broke.