Author Topic: "Memorial Day" sales make me want to cry that people  (Read 441 times)

Online CC27

"Memorial Day" sales make me want to cry that people
« on: May 26, 2023, 07:54:48 AM »
Star Member TNNurse (6,520 posts)

"Memorial Day" sales make me want to cry that people

are that stupid and and heartless.

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100217946470

HUH????

Offline SVPete

Re: "Memorial Day" sales make me want to cry that people
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2023, 08:13:53 AM »
I'm going to be nice and guess she's POed that Memorial Day, which should have some solemnity, is being commercialized. I visited Dachau in 2000 and the USS Arizona and USS Oklahoma Memorials last week, so I "get" the solemnity of such memorials. FWIW, the less well known Oklahoma Memorial is on Ford Island, near the USS Missouri. ~1/2 of those who died in the PH attack were on the USS Arizona; another ~1/4 were on the USS Oklahoma.

OTOH, DU being the hateful DUmp it is, Star Member TNNurse could have been posting standard-issue Prog hatred of recognizing military people.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2023, 08:24:22 AM »
They are marketing gimmicks you dunderhead. And Memorial Day should be a sacred holiday in ways to honor fallen veterans in combat.

Don't mind the marketing, as I can usually find some deals for grocery products (eggs and milk not included) to fire up the grill several times this weekend.

I bet in a week you'll be celebrating "Pride Month" with full-throated approval and the pandering from most if not all major companies to placate the left.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2023, 09:25:00 AM »
Yesterday was our last full day of school, today is early release with 30 minute periods, earlier in the week I was looking for some videos on the history and celebrations of Memorial Day to use these days, and most searches were returning where to party on the three day weekend, what the big sales are, and how congested travel will be.  So I'll join in giving the benefit of the doubt and adding to the complaints of commercialization and missing the point of what should be a solemn day honoring those who gave all. 
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2023, 09:56:36 AM »
Yesterday was our last full day of school, today is early release with 30 minute periods, earlier in the week I was looking for some videos on the history and celebrations of Memorial Day to use these days, and most searches were returning where to party on the three day weekend, what the big sales are, and how congested travel will be.  So I'll join in giving the benefit of the doubt and adding to the complaints of commercialization and missing the point of what should be a solemn day honoring those who gave all.

To Progs, the WW2 ETO was the last "good" war. The PTO was racist, in Korea Communist expansion was stopped (Grrrrrr!), Vietnam was fought to prevent Communist expansion (Grrr!), the Gulf War, Afghanistan, and Iraq wars were ee-vile because Muslim Arabs and Afghans are victims.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2023, 12:33:02 PM »
I think the replies to that thread are virtue signaling. I don’t think they like the military anymore than the police..
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline RuralNc

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2023, 06:15:16 PM »
GoCubsGo (31,398 posts)

3. The same goes for the big emphasis on cookouts and road trips.

Mine shithole town is having a ****ing parade, and it's not a somber affair, either. Just another chance to be seen.

Talk about being a turd in the punch bowl.  :loser:

Offline BamaMoose

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2023, 03:10:49 AM »
Memorial Day and Veteran's Day (and occasionally Pearl Harbor Day) are the only days when the DUmp isn't trashing the military.  Every other day of the year they proudly proclaim every military member, past and present, is a blood thirsty murdering, raping, baby-killer.  Much like their political heroes they have to occasionally act like they have some respect for the people who risk their lives to protect this country.  But, in a week, they'll be right back to their normal selves.  At least the aren't using our military members as political props like Biden:

DECEMBER 16, 2022
Remarks by President Biden at a Delaware Veterans Summit and PACT Act Town Hall | New Castle, DE

You know, I — my dad, when I got elected Vice President, he said, “Joey, Uncle Frank fought in the Battle of the Bulge.”   He was not feeling very well now — not because of the Battle of the Bulge.  But he said, “And he won the Purple Heart.  And he never received it.  He never — he never got it.  Do you think you could help him get it?  We’ll surprise him.”

So we got him the Purple Heart.  He had won it in the Battle of the Bulge.  And I remember he came over to the house, and I came out, and he said, “Present it to him, okay?”  We had the family there.

I said, “Uncle Frank, you won this.  And I want to…”  He said, “I don’t want the damn thing.”  (Laughter.)  No, I’m serious.  He said, “I don’t want it.”  I said, “What’s the matter, Uncle Frank?  You earned it.”  He said, “Yeah, but the others died.  The others died.  I lived.  I don’t want it.”

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/speeches-remarks/2022/12/16/remarks-by-president-biden-at-a-delaware-veterans-summit-and-pact-act-town-hall-new-castle-de/

Only problem with his story is that his Uncle Frank died in 1999 and his father died in 2002, but Slo-Joe wasn't Vice President until 2008.  So, is he just completely confused about his facts due to mental incapacity?  Or is he just a bald-faced liar?  I'm going to go with he is a liar who has no problem trying to score a political point or two off of our military casualties.  And, just like when he attended the dignified transfer of the servicemembers killed in Kabul during his disastrous withdrawal of troops from Afghanistan, he will try the act the part on Memorial Day while checking his watch to see how quickly he can leave.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2023, 09:34:27 AM »
A FB friend of the conservative POV posted this last night:

Its been fun watching all the RVs and fifth wheels headed out of town for the long weekend.  But I like to remember why this weekend is what it is.

In my hometown of San Francisco, at a place called Lands End, there is a memorial to a Navy warship that bore the city's name.  USS San Francisco earned 17 battle stars for action in World War 2. None of those were earned easily,and  none were more difficult than the night action of November 13, 1942.  Portions of her bridge rails, removed after that action when her battle damage was repaired, form a part of the memorial.  The holes in those rails were made by Japanese shells and shell fragments and stand as a stark reminder of what price comes with total war.
The names of the 86 men killed that night are inscribed on a plaque under the memorial's flagpole. They include Admiral Daniel Callaghan and his entire staff, her skipper Captain Cassin Young. Executive Officer Commander Mark Crouter

If you happen to be in town this Sunday, May 28th, the annual remembrance ceremony will be held starting at 1130.  Remember those 86 who were committed to the deep waters off Guadalcanal having given up everything that had and all they would ever be so that the people back home wouldn't have to.

I added this to his post:

The November 1942 battle was INSANE! Whether through clueless leadership or intentionally, the USN formation went through the heart of the Japanese formation. Ranges were so close that USN 8" shells could penetrate battleship Hiei's armor, when at normal ranges Hiei's armor would have been immune from penetration. At least one USN destroyer passed by Hiei so close that none of Hiei's guns could depress low enough to hit her (USS Laffey?). Meanwhile the destroyer (and others less close) was blasting the bleep out of Hiei's superstructure. USS San Francisco is credited with disabling Hiei's steering, which led to her being sunk. USS San Francisco survived WW2 and was converted to razor blades in 1961.

The USN force in that battle was outnumbered and outgunned (two battleships with 8X 14" guns each vs two heavy cruisers with 9X 8" guns each). At "normal" battle ranges the 8" guns' shells would have been making dents, while the 14" shell would have been making Swiss cheese of whatever they hit. While it is commonplace to say, "What was Admiral Callaghan thinking?!", the answer might be that he knew his only chance to frustrate Japanese plans to bombard Henderson Field into oblivion would be to get so close to battleships Hiei and Kirishima that the 8" shells from USS San Francisco and USS Portland could actually penetrate the battleships' armor. Probably most of the bridge crews of the USN ships knew that their chances of surviving the engagement were very low, but they did their duty; gun crews and engine room crews knew much less, but also did their duty. When the battle was over and consequences fully realized, the USN lost two light cruisers, four destroyers, and, much the greater loss, over 1400 dead, including Admirals Callaghan and Scott.

Last week Mrs. SVPete and I vacationed in Hawaii, our first time in our 50th state. It was a delayed celebration of our 40th Anniversary, delayed by Covid. One of the things we did was a visit to the USS Arizona Memorial and the USS Missouri. Our time on the Memorial was only 10 or 15 minutes, too brief for proper reflection IMO, but limited by how many want to visit the Memorial and the logistics of ferrying and the capacity of the Memorial (the Memorial was built some 60 years ago, so the anticipated the number of visitors was probably fairly low). It's nice that the number of visitors is that great, 80+ years after the event.

The Pacific War Museum, from which one accesses the Arizona Memorial, is on the Island of Oahu. To get to USS Missouri one must take a shuttle to cross over to Ford Island. Our bus driver pretty much begged bus riders to visit the USS Oklahoma Memorial, which was near the parking lot where he dropped us off. After touring the Missouri and in light rain, Mrs. SVPete and I visited the Oklahoma Memorial. Unlike the USS Arizona, the Oklahoma was raised, because she had become a navigation hazard, moved to a suitable space for removal of crew remains and patching, deemed too damaged and too old to be worth rebuilding, and eventually sent to the West Coast to be scrapped (but sank enroute). The Memorial is a stone engraved with the names of those lost, plus rows of marble pylons, one for each sailor lost, the the name and rank of the sailor or Marine.

The lists of the names of those lost in the two Memorials are in alphabetic order, not in order of rank. So, e.g., the Admiral lost on the Arizona in in the middle of the list, and her Captain near the end. Some 1,177 men were lost aboard the Arizona, nearly half of those killed in the Pearl Harbor attack; some 429 men were lost from the Oklahoma, over 1/6th of those killed in the Pearl Harbor attack. In the heartlessness of war, ships and planes are "quickly" replaced (and, ironically, by the IJN attack proving that carriers were now the primary capital ships, the battleships the IJN worked so hard to sink or damage would be relegated to secondary roles, being to slow to steam with carriers). The nearly 2400 people lost in the Pearl Harbor attack were irreplaceable, in their cumulative centuries of experience and as human beings.

Every man or woman lost in the US' wars sacrificed their individual futures for the future of the US as a nation.

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2023, 02:44:47 PM »
Code: [Select]
I bet in a week you'll be celebrating "Pride Month" with full-throated approval and the pandering from most if not all major companies to placate the left.
Since there’s a pride month and a black history month we should have a veterans month as well.they did as much or more than either of the other two
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!