Author Topic: Stories & Opinions Worth Knowing but Maybe Not Quite Threadworthy 5/25  (Read 437 times)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Tina Turner (formerly of Ike & Tina Turner) died yesterday at age 83.

She was quite the rock star in the 80s in her comeback career after dumping Ike due to his violence toward her and his cocaine habit. Ike died in 2007.

I found this interesting:

Residences and citizenship

Turner began living at Château Algonquin in Küsnacht on the shore of Lake Zurich in 1994.[269][270] Turner previously owned property in Cologne, London, and Los Angeles, and a villa on the French Riviera named Anna Fleur.[271][272]

In 2013, Turner applied for Swiss citizenship,[273][274] stating she would relinquish her U.S. citizenship.[275][276] In April, she undertook a mandatory citizenship test which included advanced knowledge of German (the official language of the canton of Zürich) and of Swiss history. On April 22, 2013, she became a citizen of Switzerland and was issued a Swiss passport.[277] Turner signed the paperwork to relinquish her American citizenship at the U.S. embassy in Bern on October 24, 2013.[276]

It intrigues me why she would give up her American citizenship. Presumably, she could live out the rest of her days in Switzerland (a beautiful country, but oh so expensive) as a U.S. citizen. I don't recall her politics being particularly noteworthy, certainly not on the level of many Hollywood and music artist leftists/proglodytes.

RIP, Tina. You've seen the worst and the best.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tina_Turner#Personal_life
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired

Why Didn't Durham Talk to the Liars Who Pushed Fake Trump-Russia Collusion? The Answer's a Stunner.

Maybe because Durham doesn't want to be suicided? Maybe because he's part and parcel to the Deep State? Maybe because he's a grifter who wanted to ride that Durham report gravy train (at least $6.5 million as of last December) as long as he could? Sens. Grassley and Johnson wanna know!

It’s remarkable. The biggest liars involved in selling the fraudulent Donald-Trump-is-a-Russian-Secret-Agent scandal aren’t in a jail cell somewhere, nor were they ever threatened with being in one.

That’s right: the masterminds, fellow travelers, and cheerleaders of the biggest political dirty trick in U.S. history — worse than Watergate — weren’t ordered to appear before John Durham’s grand jury or face criminal contempt charges.

Disgraced former FBI Director James Comey, who perjured himself multiple times during congressional testimony, had a nail appointment or was walking alone in the woods and just couldn’t make it. Or something.

Then there was the former number two at the FBI, Andrew McCabe, ousted for “lacking candor” over and over and over again about the fake “Russia! Russia! Russia!” scandal and now a paid liar for CNN.

And what about Peter Strzok, an FBI bigshot who couldn’t see beyond his political ideology and his affair with Lisa Page to conduct a fair investigation?

Bill Priestap went on from lying about Trump-Russia to blessed oblivion without a stop at John Durham’s grand jury.

And here’s another one, what about convicted liar Kevin Clinesmith? You know, the guy who lied on a FISA warrant for his paymasters? Why wasn’t he keel-hauled before the grand jury to answer questions about the fake scandal?

Glenn Simpson’s reputation has shot up because he did such a “great” job of selling the fake story to the media, FBI, and insider Washington.

They all tried to steal an election. They all lied for political gain. They all did it to hide Hillary Clinton’s email scandal and private server, along with the people who knew all about it, like President Barack Obama and Joe Biden. And they did it to help one political party over another. And they kept the grift going for years. They used the fake predicate for this fake scandal to launch more investigations into Donald Trump which led to two impeachments.

They were all of a piece.

Now, after the Durham Report confirms that all of those previously mentioned people knew even before it happened that Hillary Clinton’s people were plotting a fake Russia op to label Trump a spy, two senators are wondering what the hell happened.

The Washington Examiner reports that Sens. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) and Ron Johnson (R-Wisc.) sent a letter to Durham to find out why those people were “allowed to avoid fully cooperating with your office, particularly given your authority to compel testimony and records.”

Grassley and Johnson noted that Mueller’s office “issued more than 2,800 subpoenas” and “executed nearly 500 search-and-seizure warrants” over the course of its investigation, but “in contrast,” the Durham investigation “served more than 190 subpoenas” and “executed seven search warrants.”

The senators asked Durham for “detailed information” on Comey, McCabe, Strzok, Priestap, Clinesmith, and Simpson, including whether Durham subpoenaed any of them and if not, why not; what any of the subpoenas sought as well as when and where the subpoenas were sent; and details on how each of the men refused to cooperate. They asked for this information by the end of May.

Durham’s report showed that there was no legal predicate for opening the Trump-Russia case at all. Let’s hope Grassley and Johnson get some answers to what they call this “odd” turn of events.

Yawn. Wake me up when Durham shits the answers.  :whatever:

Well, whaddaya know? The Deep State Borg tried to steal the 2016 election and destroy Donald Trump’s presidency. If you’d been reading PJ Media all these years, you would have known that, because we’ve reported on every move of the Durham investigation. But the media and Deep State Borg have conspired to silence PJ Media and its sister sites.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Jeez, I wonder how many life sentences they would've given him had he dropped a deuce on her desk?  :whatever:  "Remaining in a restricted building or grounds with a dangerous or deadly weapon?" I looked it up -- he had a stun gun, apparently illegal in the Swamp. (I halfway thought the prosecutors death merchants considered Barnett's FEET as a "dangerous or deadly weapon.")

Jan. 6 participant who put feet on Pelosi's desk gets 4.5 years behind bars

A participant in the Jan. 6, 2021, Capitol Riot who was photographed placing his feet on then-House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's desk inside her Capitol office, has received 4.5 years in prison.

Richard Barnett of Arkansas, received 54 months in prison and 36 months of supervised release, plus a $2,000 fine for his actions during the incident, the Department of Justice confirmed on Wednesday.

Barnett was convicted in January of this year on felony counts, including obstruction of an official proceeding, interfering with a police officer during a civil disorder, entering and remaining in a restricted building or grounds with a dangerous or deadly weapon, disorderly and disruptive conduct in a restricted building or grounds with a dangerous weapon.

The photo of Barnett placing his feet atop Pelosi's desk was one of several images that achieved viral status from that day. Among the most known are various shots of Jacob Chansley, aka the QAnon Shaman charging through the Capitol while wearing a horned helmet.

Another photo emerged of Adam Johnson making off with the Speaker's podium.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 05:52:27 AM by Eupher »

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
19 children dead after girl burns down dormitory over confiscated cell phone, Guyanese police say

Sadly, my initial reaction to this was "It's not another crazy US student doing something stupid cause their phone was taken away."
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

Offline SVPete

University of California sued for mandating DEI statements from applicants

https://www.thecollegefix.com/university-of-california-sued-for-mandating-dei-statements-from-applicants/

A policy that requires scholars seeking a job at UC Santa Cruz to provide a diversity, equity and inclusion statement as part of the application process is unconstitutional, argues a recently filed lawsuit against the University of California system and UCSC leaders.

The Pacific Legal Foundation filed the lawsuit on behalf of J.D. Haltigan, a former University of Toronto psychology professor, who argues the university’s DEI statement requirement runs afoul of the First Amendment because it requires Haltigan “to express ideas with which he disagrees in order to be eligible for employment.”

The lawsuit states UC Santa Cruz applicants “must express agreement with specific socio-political ideas, including the view that treating individuals differently based on their race or sex is desirable.”

But Haltigan’s support of colorblind inclusivity, viewpoint diversity and merit-based evaluations stands against UC Santa Cruz’s publicly stated progressive stances and policies, it alleges.

Though less visible, UCSC is a crazed as Berserkeley, or more so. Angela Davis was a prof at UCSC, and is now a professor emeritus with UCSC.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
University of California sued for mandating DEI statements from applicants

https://www.thecollegefix.com/university-of-california-sued-for-mandating-dei-statements-from-applicants/

Though less visible, UCSC is a crazed as Berserkeley, or more so. Angela Davis was a prof at UCSC, and is now a professor emeritus with UCSC.

Are there ANY colleges or universities in CA that aren't as crazed as Berserkley? I have the impression if there are, they are very tiny.

Nonetheless, this is good news -- unless the courts there favor the prevailing proggie viewpoint. Also of good news -- SCOTUS just pulled the rug out from under the EPA on that stupid wetlands case in which Barry's EPA went waaaaaaay beyond Congress' intent with respect to defining what a wetlands is. Sacketts vs. EPA.

The amazing thing is the decision was unanimous. Maybe, just maybe, some of these executive-branch departments will pull their fangs back. Congress needs to get off its ass and do its job by writing specific, detailed laws that at least put the brakes on this kind of crap.

Hot Air

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
19 children dead after girl burns down dormitory over confiscated cell phone, Guyanese police say

Sadly, my initial reaction to this was "It's not another crazy US student doing something stupid cause their phone was taken away."

I'm sure that's already happened x hundreds.

I could never be a teacher (even if I ever wanted to which was, "Nope") because of this stupidity of kids and their cell phones. I've heard all the arguments and I say, "Nope."

What the hell did kids do BEFORE cell phones? Answer - researched the answers to their questions in a library in which they were compelled to be QUIET and RESPECTFUL of others.

Cell phones are a drug to many people, especially kids.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Nearly Two-Thirds of Americans Now View Media “The Enemy of the People” – Poll
https://www.dailyfetched.com/nearly-two-thirds-of-americans-now-view-media-the-enemy-of-the-people-poll/

Almost two-thirds of Americans believe the media is now “truly the enemy of the people,” according to a new Rasmussen poll.

A total of 59 percent of likely voters either strongly or somewhat agree with the statement that the media is the enemy of the people, the survey found.

Unsurprisingly, the belief is more prominent among Republicans at 77 percent.

However, only a slim majority of Democrats disagree.

The news media or more like the legacy news media cannot be trusted.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
London Breed holds presser in SF junkie nest to denounce fentanyl, gets chased out by violent, screaming mob
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2023/05/london_breed_holds_presser_in_sf_junkie_nest_to_denounce_fentanyl_gets_chased_out_by_violent_screaming_mob.html

From the annals of "What was she thinking?," here's San Francisco's mayor, London Breed.

According to the New York Post:

San Francisco Mayor London Breed and the city's board of supervisors were forced to retreat inside after a meeting they attempted to hold in a notorious open-air drug market was disrupted by jeers, shouting and a woman who hurled a brick into the crowd, according to a report.

On Tuesday, city leaders decided to hold the meeting outdoors in United Nations Plaza to highlight problems plaguing the area — including surging fentanyl overdoses — and to discuss potential solutions, KRON4 reported.

Breed and Supervisor Aaron Peskin took to the podium and proclaimed the city has been tolerating "illegal, out-of-control behavior for far too long."

"Many San Franciscans do not feel safe," Peskin said. "Brazen drug dealing and deteriorating street conditions have exacerbated a humanitarian crisis on our streets."

But less than 10 minutes after the meeting began, it was cut short as the crowd hurled insults at the mayor and supervisors until they just walked away from the podium, according to KRON.

Suffice to say, it didn't end well.

Breed's city has been turned into a crime- and homeless-infested hellhole on her watcha feces-strewn open-air drug market in many quarters, where junkies, addicts, criminals, vagrants, and bums all gather together for their drug deals, panhandling, and shoplifting projects.  This particular hellhole, at United Nations Plaza, has always been a center of mayhem — I remember it as a trash-strewn, urine-soaked junkie redoubt when I lived in the city 30 years ago.

San Francisco is a trainwreck.  :mental:
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline Drafe Hoblin

It intrigues me why she would give up her American citizenship. Presumably, she could live out the rest of her days in Switzerland (a beautiful country, but oh so expensive) as a U.S. citizen. I don't recall her politics being particularly noteworthy, certainly not on the level of many Hollywood and music artist leftists/proglodytes.

In the early 60's more than a handful of black musicians spent all their time in Europe because the audiences were bigger, their music was revered as 'sophisticated, their fan-bases were wealthier, and the studios were hungrier.

Miles Davis, Sonny Boy Williamson, Sun Ra, Howlin' Wolf, etc.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired

In the early 60's more than a handful of black musicians spent all their time in Europe because the audiences were bigger, their music was revered as 'sophisticated, their fan-bases were wealthier, and the studios were hungrier.

Miles Davis, Sonny Boy Williamson, Sun Ra, Howlin' Wolf, etc.

Not only those, but Chet Baker (a white guy who mostly lived and gigged in Europe, but not always), Cat Anderson, a black high note trumpeter who played with Duke Ellington for years, Stan Getz, another white tenor saxophonist, many, many others.

I'd posit it wasn't the segregation that many of these guys and gals experienced in the earlier decades (20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s - less so), it was primarily the ACCEPTANCE of their music in Europe. Let's face it, most of the money in American music has been and always will be in the pop genre, especially in the 80s where Tina made her money. Later in the 90s, rap and hip-hop seems to be where a huge chunk of the money is too. Jazz and blues artists, whom you cite, struggled to make a living except in Europe where they, oddly enough, were more popular and more likely to earn a decent living gigging. Perhaps less racism too, though I don't believe that was too much of a factor beyond the mid-60s.

That doesn't explain why Tina Turner chose to first, live in Switzerland, and second, become a Swiss citizen. She was at the top of her game (and money) when she made the move. Something happened to her that drove her toward making that decision. Was in financial? Hard to say. It certainly can't be said that her music was more popular in Europe than in America -- which is my point. She was a rock star everywhere.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
I'm sure that's already happened x hundreds.

I could never be a teacher (even if I ever wanted to which was, "Nope") because of this stupidity of kids and their cell phones. I've heard all the arguments and I say, "Nope."

What the hell did kids do BEFORE cell phones? Answer - researched the answers to their questions in a library in which they were compelled to be QUIET and RESPECTFUL of others.

Cell phones are a drug to many people, especially kids.

Teenage girl charged with killing 19 in school dorm fire after cellphone confiscated: report
https://www.foxnews.com/world/teenage-girl-charged-killing-19-in-school-dorm-fire-cell-phone-confiscated-report

A 15-year-old schoolgirl from Guyana was charged as an adult Monday in the murder of 19 people after police accused her of purposefully setting fire to a school dormitory in retaliation for her cellphone being confiscated.

The fire killed 18 of her schoolmates and a 5-year-old boy trapped inside the building after a dorm matron locked the doors from the inside to prevent the female students, aged 12-18, from sneaking out to socialize with males from a nearby mining town.

How the fire was started has not yet been made clear.

A 15 year old teenager girl has been charged. It was after her cellphone was confiscated.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Teenage girl charged with killing 19 in school dorm fire after cellphone confiscated: report
https://www.foxnews.com/world/teenage-girl-charged-killing-19-in-school-dorm-fire-cell-phone-confiscated-report

A 15 year old teenager girl has been charged. It was after her cellphone was confiscated.

Anecdotal, perhaps, but so-called adults aren't immune from being slaves to their cell phones. There's even a term for it - nomophobia. The fear of being without a mobile phone.

https://www.addictioncenter.com/drugs/phone-addiction/