Author Topic: Stories & Opinions Worth Knowing but Maybe Not Quite Threadworthy 5/27  (Read 288 times)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Powerball winner accused of stealing $2 billion lottery ticket gets served with lawsuit papers at $25 million Hollywood mansion

A California Powerball winner is accused of stealing a lottery ticket worth more than $2 billion. The lottery winner was served with lawsuit papers at his newly purchased mansion in Hollywood Hills, California.

Last year, Edwin Castro won the Powerball lottery jackpot of $2.04 billion after purportedly purchasing the winning ticket from Joe’s Service Station in Altadena, California, on Nov. 7, 2022.

As previously reported in TheBlaze, Castro elected to take home the lump sum prize money of $997.6 million in February 2023.

Castro used the lottery winnings to purchase two multimillion-dollar California homes and a vintage Porsche convertible reportedly worth $250,000.

In the same month, a lawsuit was filed in California claiming that the winning lottery ticket had been stolen.

Jose Rivera contends that he is the rightful owner of the winning Powerball ticket.

Rivera alleged that a person named "Reggie" stole the ticket from him the day it was purchased.

They don’t want you to see this … Big Tech does its best to limit what news you see. Make sure you see our stories daily — directly to your inbox.
"Rivera said after the winning numbers were drawn, he kept asking to get the ticket back but Reggie allegedly refused," according to KABC-TV. "He claims Reggie threatened to destroy the ticket if he did not split the winnings."

"Reggie" has been identified as Urachi F. Romero. Castro and Romero are listed as co-defendants in the Alhambra Superior Court case.

Rivera believes that a surveillance camera will show that he is the true owner of the life-changing lottery ticket.

The New York Post reported, "He believes store surveillance images will prove his case and has requested the state lotto agency 'make available for our review all video depicting the purchase of the winning ticket.'"

Rivera claims he "refused to be blackmailed," according to court documents.

Rivera's legal team stated in a letter to the California Lottery, "In an effort to hopefully reach a prompt resolution of this matter involving the rightful owner of the $2.04 Billion Powerball winning ticket, our client, Jose Rivera, again requests the ‘Lottery’ make available for our review all video depicting the purchase of the winning ticket."

The letter continued, "We understand the 'Lottery' took possession of the video shortly after it was determined the winning ticket was sold at Joe’s Service Station in Altadena, California."

A spokesperson for the California Lottery stated, "When it comes to the vetting process for big winners, California Lottery has the utmost confidence in its process for doing so. California Lottery remains confident that Edwin Castro is the rightful winner of the $2.04 billion prize stemming from the Powerball drawing in November of 2022."

On May 17, lawsuit papers were delivered to Castro at his $25.5 million mansion in Hollywood Hills, California. The swanky 13,578-square-foot property, reportedly located near the homes of pop star Ariana Grande and TV host Jimmy Kimmel, has five bedrooms, seven bathrooms, and a wine cellar.

The U.S. Sun reported, "A case management conference and proof of service hearing have now been set for July 24 at the courthouse in Alhambra, CA, with Rivera being represented by attorneys Estela Richeda and Brian Kramer."

Reggie Love? Is that you?  :rotf:   :lmao:  Only in California . . .
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
A dumb passenger opened a freaking emergency door mid-flight in South Korea and yeah, there's video 😨

Lots of Twatter, of course. The sheer amount of stupid in this one is one to behold in awe. You have to admire this much stupid.

What the heck was he trying to accomplish? This was during the approach for landing in the city of Daegu.

Was the 33-year-old toddler so impatient that he thought he could exit the craft at 5,000 feet? Did he think all those over-the-top depressurization scenes in movies were real and he thought he could commit mass murder?

Nine people had to be taken to the hospital!

Here's the door!

Offline Old n Grumpy

That’s another reason I don’t fly anymore  :thatsright:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline SVPete

Céline Dion Makes Devastating Announcement As She Battles Incurable Neurological Disorder

https://www.themix.net/2023/05/celine-dion-makes-devastating-announcement-as-she-battles-incurable-neurological-disorder/

In December of last year, we reported that the legendary singer Céline Dion had announced that she had been diagnosed with a rare incurable neurological disorder that is known as Stiff Person Syndrome. Now, Dion has made the announcement that she is cancelling all tour dates of her Courage World Tour as her battle with the disorder continues.

“It is with tremendous disappointment that we have to announce today the cancelation of the Courage World Tour,” Dion, 55, wrote in a lengthy Instagram post. “I’m so sorry to disappoint all of you once again. I’m working really hard to build back my strength, but touring can be very difficult even when you’re 100%.”

“It’s not fair to you to keep postponing the shows, and even though it breaks my heart, it’s best that we cancel everything now until I’m really ready to be back on stage again,” she continued. “I want you all to know, I’m not giving up … and I can’t wait to see you again!”

Céline Dion isn't of my musical "generation", but unlike many currently popular "singers", she apparently has enduring talent.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline SVPete

GOP ethics plan targets Biden White House staffers for student loan debt disclosure

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/white-house/republicans-white-house-student-loan-debt-disclosure

EXCLUSIVE — House Republicans have unveiled legislation to expose the student loans of White House staff as President Joe Biden fights to save his loan-forgiveness order in debt ceiling negotiations.

The House GOP voted 218 to 203 on Wednesday to overturn Biden's sweeping plan that was announced last year, which would cancel up to $20,000 in federal student loan debt for those earning under $125,000 per year. Ahead of the expected Supreme Court ruling on the plan's legality, Rep. Andy Biggs (R-AZ) is leading a GOP effort to purportedly uncover conflicts of interest by requiring certain executive branch employees to file expanded reports detailing their student debt balances, according to legislation obtained by the Washington Examiner.

"American taxpayers deserve to know if President Biden’s staffers are pushing an egregious and unlawful national student debt bailout to ultimately bail themselves out," Biggs told the Washington Examiner. "It’s unclear if the administration is advocating for this policy for personal benefit, but their motives will become clearer with my legislation."

I do not think personal benefit is THE or the primary motivation for the student loan cancellation push. It's a cynical move to "buy" votes from 20-, 30-, and maybe even 40-somethings. But a conflict of interest would be real.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline SVPete

Farmers Cheer SCOTUS WOTUS Decision Returning Property Rights to Landowners from Biden’s Clutches

https://www.mrctv.org/blog/farmers-cheer-scotus-wotus-decision-returning-property-rights-landowners-bidens-clutches

In 2014, the Obama Administration concocted and issued the Waters of the United States (WOTUS) rule, greatly expanding the federal government’s claim to control of water in the U.S. - including on private property - under the guise of an Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) initiative. The rule was repealed by President Donald Trump, but reinstated last year by President Joe Biden.

In Thursday’s Sackett v. Environmental Protection Agency decision, the Supreme Court issued a unanimous decision that the EPA can’t prohibit Idaho residents Michael and Chantell Sackett from building a home on their property near a wetland.
“The EPA clearly overstepped its authority under the Clean Water Act by restricting private property owners from developing their land despite being far from the nearest navigable water,” American Farm Bureau Federation President Zippy Duvall.

Prior to Thursday’s ruling, the Oklahoma Farm Bureau’s (OFB) Legal Foundation joined with 20 other state Farm Bureaus to file an amicus curiae brief in the Sackett v. EPA case review.

“We are pleased the ruling places limits on the EPA’s administrative reach regarding Waters of the U.S., which we hope will ensure more reasonable and realistic rules and actions by the agency in the future,” OFB President Rodd Moesel said Thursday, following the Supreme Court’s decision.

Enviros and many/most other Dems hate farmers. Farmers have understood that, for over a half century. This USSC ruling put the kibosh on the Enviros' 6 Degrees of Separation gaming of the Waters of the United States rule.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
GOP ethics plan targets Biden White House staffers for student loan debt disclosure

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/white-house/republicans-white-house-student-loan-debt-disclosure

I do not think personal benefit is THE or the primary motivation for the student loan cancellation push. It's a cynical move to "buy" votes from 20-, 30-, and maybe even 40-somethings. But a conflict of interest would be real.

The appearance of conflict of interest is enough to create pause. Biggs is exactly on point here. For a 25-year-old Democrat kid who's two years out of law school making $115K per year to be absolved of up to $20K in debt, whoa Nellie. That's bullshit and if "Kyle" or "Megyn" working for SharterJoe or his criminal friends is knocking down that kind of money, they can pay. They might have to hold off buying their Tesla for a few years, but that doesn't upset me at all.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
'Racial Justice'? Trainer Fired for Being Late 47 Times, Gym Ordered to Pay Her $11.25 Million

“Racial justice.” This one is going to make your teeth hurt. And if you’re a business owner with employees, it might make your blood boil. Either way, if this is “racial justice,” this country will ultimately be screwed.

A newly-hired trainer at a high-end gym on New York City’s Upper East Side showed up late for work 47 times in just 10 months before she was fired for chronic lateness. The trainer then sued her now-former employer— which resulted in a judgment ordering the gym franchise to pay her $11.25 million in damages.

Here’s more, via The New York Times:

Between 2018 and 2019, Röbynn Europe, a former professional body builder, worked at an Equinox on the Upper East Side, where she managed personal trainers. … There was only one other Black student in her class. But still that had not prepared her for what she described as crass, unfiltered expressions of prejudice from male colleagues in an expensive gym, awash with the scent of eucalyptus oil if not the base notes of enlightenment.

Ms. Europe’s tenure at the club was short-lived; Equinox terminated her employment in less than a year because, the company said, she was late 47 times in the course of 10 months. Ms. Europe held a different view of her firing, believing that her lateness was merely a pretext for discrimination, and soon after she filed a lawsuit in Manhattan federal court, arguing that she had been subjected to a hostile work environment and eventually let go because of her race and gender.

Last week, a predominantly white jury of five women and three men agreed, delivering a verdict in little over an hour. The next day they awarded her $11.25 million in damages.

The swiftness of the jury’s decision and the size of the payout — $10 million in punitive damages and $1.25 million for the distress she suffered — follow a pattern similar to the verdict reached in the same courthouse just a few weeks before, in E. Jean Carroll’s defamation suit against Donald J. Trump.

In both instances, the process and outcome suggest the ways in which recent transformative social movements around race and gender might reframe the way that juries think about the long shadow of emotional disruption that bigotry or sexual violence can produce.
“Transformative social movements around race and gender.” Translation: Blatant discrimination in favor of people of color, non-conservative women, and the LGBTQ community. And, of course, that shining beacon of “All the News That’s Fit to Print” — the left-wing NYT — continues to champion every damn bit of it.

Ms. Europe told the writer of the article exactly what we’d expect her to say — and exactly what the writer wanted to be told because she no doubt believes the same tripe:

Racism and sexism — they are just pervasive in the fitness industry. In coastal cities, training is something you can do without a degree and you can make $75 an hour. There are not a lot of opportunities to do that, so it’s a big draw for people of color.

Note: Not one word of the above quote has a single iota to do with race or racism. So where’s the beef?

To its credit, Equinox Gyms didn’t do what spineless companies across America have done since the George Floyd riots when targeted with charges of racism — which would’ve been to fall on its sword, beg for forgiveness, profess to have seen the BLM light, and pathetically promise to stop its pretend “racist” practices. (See: Spineless NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell for a perfect example.)

The company said in a statement it “vehemently disagreed” with the judgment, and stressed that it doesn’t “tolerate discrimination in any form.” In addition, Eqionox filed a motion asking the court to reconsider the case — either via a new trial or a reduction of the massive award amount.

Company’s lawyers maintained that the jurors, “guided by sympathy and emotion,” had “erroneously” bought into the plaintiff’s claim that she was a victim of “racial animus,” and suffered “extreme, unconscionable damages,” as a result.

Amazing — but not.

Imagine showing up for a new job late — 47 times in just 10 months. Would your employer be justified in firing you? Or, as a business owner with employees, would you be justified in firing a compulsively late employee — a new employee, at that? The answer in both scenarios is a resounding YES.

Oh, wait— “racial justice.” Never mind.

Has it occurred to you that this case is not dissimilar to lowering or eliminating requirements for high school graduation? Me, too. Oregon Gov. Kate Brown in 2021 ordered the complete elimination of math, reading, and writing minimum proficiency standards for high school graduation. Were any students afforded educational justice by reducing their ability to compete on a collegiate level? Again, nada.

The Bottom Line

These are real questions, here, none of which can be properly addressed by what we used to call “the soft bigotry of low expectations” — which ultimately hurts those it claims to help.

And the really ugly non-secret secret? Democrat lawmakers know everything I wrote is true, yet they don’t give a damn. Why? (See: ballot boxes.)

And the “racial justice” band plays on.

I'll put $20 on a bet that the "managers" of this gym utterly failed to call this scrunt on the carpet when she was late, certainly in whatever probationary period she was subjected to. I never put up with that shit when I was a supervisor or manager and walked more than a few employees out the door because I documented the instances where I told the employee that being habitually late is a precursor for being terminated. In all likelihood, and as part of my bet, I'd posit that the extent of the "manager's" documentation was a copy of her time card which merely proves she was late -- not that she was being counseled for it.

All the same, this is a ridiculous amount of money. There could well be more to this story than we're currently seeing.