Author Topic: Legendary NFL Star Jim Brown passes at age 87  (Read 245 times)

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Legendary NFL Star Jim Brown passes at age 87
« on: May 19, 2023, 05:13:13 PM »
Thought I'd toss this in here considering Eupher and SVPete have been posting relevant current events as of late.

CLEVELAND (AP) — Pro Football Hall of Famer Jim Brown, the unstoppable running back who retired at the peak of his brilliant career to become an actor as well as a prominent civil rights advocate during the 1960s, has died. He was 87.

A spokeswoman for Brown’s family said he passed away peacefully in his Los Angeles home on Thursday night with his wife, Monique, by his side.

“To the world, he was an activist, actor, and football star,” Monique Brown wrote in an Instagram post. “To our family, he was a loving husband, father, and grandfather. Our hearts are broken.”

One of the greatest players in football history and one of the game’s first superstars, Brown was chosen the NFL’s Most Valuable Player in 1965 and shattered the league’s record books in a short career spanning 1957-65.

Brown led the Cleveland Browns to their last NFL title in 1964 before retiring in his prime after the ’65 season to become an actor. He appeared in more than 30 films, including “Any Given Sunday” and “The Dirty Dozen.”

An unstoppable runner with power, speed and endurance, Brown’s arrival sparked the game’s burgeoning popularity on television.

As Black Americans fought for equality, Brown used his platform and voice to advance their cause.

In 1967, Brown organized a meeting in Cleveland of the nation’s top Black athletes, including Bill Russell and Lew Alcindor, who later became Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, to support boxer Muhammad Ali’s fight against the war in Vietnam.

In later years, he worked to curb gang violence in LA and founded Amer-I-Can, a program to help disadvantaged inner-city youth and ex-convicts.”

“Jim Brown is a true icon of not just the Cleveland Browns but the entire NFL,” said Browns owners Dee and Jimmy Haslam. “He was certainly the greatest to ever put on a Browns uniform and arguably one of the greatest players in NFL history. Jim was one of the reasons the Browns have such a tremendous fan base today.

https://www.breitbart.com/sports/2023/05/19/all-time-nfl-great-jim-brown-dead-at-87/

One of the few who absolute greats who walked away from their sports at their peak, which also include legends such as Sandy Koufax and Bobby Jones.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
Re: Legendary NFL Star Jim Brown passes at age 87
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2023, 05:28:55 PM »
Rest in Peace, Fireball.  :fuelfire:

"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2023, 06:13:32 PM »
Thought I'd toss this in here considering Eupher and SVPete have been posting relevant current events as of late.

??

Relevant to Jim Brown? I remember his having been one of the many actors in the film "The Dirty Dozen" but that's about it.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2023, 07:20:59 PM »
??

Relevant to Jim Brown? I remember his having been one of the many actors in the film "The Dirty Dozen" but that's about it.

Relevant to resurrecting the "Breaking News" forum, which has drawn tumbleweeds the past few years.

And I truly enjoy reading the links y'all have been posting. Personally read dozens of similar items that I never get around to posting, so much appreciation my friend!

I'm well aware that sports isn't in your preferred genre, but losing a sports legend such as Jim Brown is comparable to B.B. King passing away. He is generally considered one of the top 25 legendary sports figures of the 20th century. Additionally, later in life Brown perturbed the left by supporting conservative political policies.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline SVPete

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2023, 08:00:48 PM »
He retired before I started really paying attention to oblate-spheroid-ball, but I have vague memories of replays of his runs, very elusive. He wasn’t the whole Browns team, obviously, but seems to have been the key element in the larger whole.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Drafe Hoblin

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2023, 06:52:16 AM »
Loved 'im as a football-player.  Loved 'im as an actor.  R.I.P., Jim.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2023, 08:45:05 AM »
Relevant to resurrecting the "Breaking News" forum, which has drawn tumbleweeds the past few years.

And I truly enjoy reading the links y'all have been posting. Personally read dozens of similar items that I never get around to posting, so much appreciation my friend!

I'm well aware that sports isn't in your preferred genre, but losing a sports legend such as Jim Brown is comparable to B.B. King passing away. He is generally considered one of the top 25 legendary sports figures of the 20th century. Additionally, later in life Brown perturbed the left by supporting conservative political policies.

I guess I misspoke. Having grown up in the Sixties and being a moderate fan of my home town teams (Pistons, Lions, Tigers, Red Wings), I was familiar with Jim Brown as a football player and as an actor.

IIRC, Brown was a class act on and off the field - certainly not the case you see very often these days in professional sports.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.