Author Topic: Happy Earth Day and remember kids: The Planet is fine, the People are F*cked  (Read 222 times)

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
My annual tradition of ridiculing the cult religion of climate change with the obligatory George Carlin clip, himself no right-winger during his life.

https://youtu.be/7W33HRc1A6c

And a link to the text itself if you so prefer:

https://genius.com/George-carlin-the-planet-is-fine-annotated

And for those who really pretend that the earth is on fire and we're all going to die soon, might I recommend this type of protest from last year:

A man who died after self-immolating in front of Supreme Court was a climate activist

A man who died on Saturday after setting himself on fire in front of the US Supreme Court in Washington, DC, was a climate activist, according to social media posts from various people who claim to know him.

Wynn Alan Bruce, 50, from Boulder, Colorado, who self-immolated on Friday – when the world marked Earth Day – suffered critical injuries and was airlifted to hospital, where he died, a police spokesperson said.

Those who knew Bruce, who had managed a portrait photo studio in Boulder, say he was protesting against inaction on the climate crisis.

Kritee Kanko, a climate scientist and a Zen Buddhist priest who claims to know Bruce through the same meditation group, wrote on Twitter that while they are still gathering more information, the activist may had planned on the act for at least a year. CNN could not independently verify their relationship.

“This act is not suicide. This is a deeply fearless act of compassion to bring attention to climate crisis,” she posted on Twitter. “We are piecing together info but he had been planning it for at least one year. #wynnbruce I am so moved.”

In an interview with The New York Times, Kanko clarified her tweet saying she was not entirely certain of Bruce’s intentions, but rather that “people are being driven to extreme amounts of climate grief and despair.” Kanko said she did not want “young people (to) start thinking about self-immolation.

About a year ago, Bruce responded to one of his own posts about climate change with a comment that included a fire emoji and the date “4/22/2022.”

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/25/politics/supreme-court-climate-activist-dies-fire/index.html
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
George Carlin was so much more than a comedian. He was a social commentator in the manner of Lenny Bruce, whom he admired. Carlin cited Bruce's honesty, which was far beyond the comedians of the day.

It stuns me that he came up with this kind of material x 1.5 hours or so, about every two years to put on HBO. He memorized it all and very, very rarely stumbled. In short, he lived the very stuff he would be talking about and took every opportunity to whittle it down, make it more impactful, and otherwise make it more efficient.

I call that art. Yep, George was an artist and a very effective one. He was an original and I don't believe we'll ever have another one like him. Dave Chappelle might come close, but cannot possibly exceed what Carlin was able to do.

Ralphie -  :hi5:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

George Carlin was so much more than a comedian. He was a social commentator in the manner of Lenny Bruce, whom he admired. Carlin cited Bruce's honesty, which was far beyond the comedians of the day.

It stuns me that he came up with this kind of material x 1.5 hours or so, about every two years to put on HBO. He memorized it all and very, very rarely stumbled. In short, he lived the very stuff he would be talking about and took every opportunity to whittle it down, make it more impactful, and otherwise make it more efficient.

I call that art. Yep, George was an artist and a very effective one. He was an original and I don't believe we'll ever have another one like him. Dave Chappelle might come close, but cannot possibly exceed what Carlin was able to do.

Ralphie -  :hi5:

He was a total genius when it came to analyzing language.

As a child in the 70's, my parents used to play this 8-track often which introduced me to Carlin:

Had the good fortune to see him in concert four times. As you said, he would take a couple years to write and test material and refine it by doing hundreds of stand up dates along with a periodic Johnny Carson appearance until he felt he had every syllable and annunciation exactly how he wanted it. All that work made a lot of magic in his HBO specials.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

Hadn't seen this before I posted by mock tribute yesterday to "ERF Day", but just ran across this piece of nonsense.

I'll post the more ludicrous portions and only read the link if you need a big-time laugh at how stupid these people have become:

Time Magazine: The Case For Making Earth Day a Religious Holiday

https://time.com/6273684/earth-day-religious-holiday/

Earth Day is upon us—that forlorn little non-holiday that some years sandwiches itself between Easter and Passover, or other years trails in the wake of those “real” holidays. If the Super Bowl is America’s unofficial national day of celebration, Earth Day is the collective yawn that brings a shrug. No recipes offer Earth Day chips and dips to serve when friends and beloveds gather in celebration of the miracle of a living planet. Because they don’t. Not even ours.

But Earth Day may have fallen victim to its own success. Even though we face new and seemingly overwhelming environmental issues—the extinction crisis, the toxic chemical crisis, the climate crisis, acidification of the seas, the plastics tsunami—the spirit of the day is no longer mass protest. Yet current environmental problems pose existential threats to planetary and societal stability, even to civilization itself. One day out of 365 to mark the entire planet is too far a cry from the reverence and recognition owed the beleaguered planetary basis for our entire existence, for all known life.

So, what would an earth-reverent belief system look like with Earth Day at its center?

To begin with, let’s take a look at what established religions get right and where we might take a cue. Perhaps the first step might be, um, unearthing the nature-centered origins of our existing religious holidays. Most of us know in the back of our minds that Christmas and Hanukkah fall around the time of the winter solstice; that Easter and Passover are celebrated in tandem with the arrival of spring; that Sukkot and Diwali mark harvest and summer’s last warmth, and Eid follows the path of the moon. These holidays have origins in gratitude. Gratitude for the sun returning. Gratitude for the harvest that could avert the starvation winter might bring. Thanks for when it did avert it. We could conceivably reframe these holidays as days of thanks for what the natural world gives and reminders that our responsibility for what remains is an ongoing covenant.

Next, we might look at what religions do to help us form community and mark life’s important benchmarks: birth, maturity, marriage, and death. What if we were to come to celebrate these benchmarks for what they are biologically? Birth, that ecstatic co-joining of atoms and molecules resulting in sentience might prompt a ritual of truthfully and factually recounting how inanimate becomes animate. Instead of (or in addition to) bar/bat mitzvahs and confirmations, would it be too much to expect our children to go beyond the average daily 20 minutes most American children spend outdoors, and commit to memory the names and descriptions of local plants and animals, or learn the considerations involved in correctly planting a tree? The covenant of marriage might be an opportunity to remind young couples to consider the burden children place upon the planet and to make vows of sustainable patterns of behavior going forward. Death, finally, might be recognized for what it is—a returning of atoms and molecules to the cycle. In the cycle of life, the coming apart is as miraculous a process as the joining. We still don’t really know how nothing became something and formed a universe in which random pulses of energy and matter coalesced into beings writing op eds. In short, there’s plenty of mystery to go around.

~~~ End of bothering to copy this shit ~~~

At this point, just off yourselves and your family to make the ERF a better place. Weapons grade stupidity.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 04:25:02 PM by Ralph Wiggum »