Author Topic: The real cause of California’s homelessness crisis  (Read 452 times)

Offline SVPete

The real cause of California’s homelessness crisis
« on: December 19, 2022, 12:39:08 PM »

https://www.vcstar.com/story/opinion/2022/12/18/the-real-cause-of-californias-homelessness-crisis/69733303007/

Gov. Gavin Newsom, newly inaugurated Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass and legislative leaders are pledging decisive action on California’s homelessness crisis, which raises a pithy question: Why did it erupt during a period of strong economic growth?

The reasons often offered include a moderate climate, the availability of generous welfare benefits, mental health and drug abuse. However, a lengthy and meticulously sourced article in the current issue of Atlantic magazine demolishes all of those supposed causes.

Rather, the article argues persuasively, California and other left-leaning states tend to have the nation’s most egregious levels of homelessness because they have made it extraordinarily difficult to build enough housing to meet demands.

Author Jerusalem Demsas contends that the progressive politics of California and other states are “largely to blame for the homelessness crisis: A contradiction at the core of liberal ideology has precluded Democratic politicians, who run most of the cities where homelessness is most acute, from addressing the issue.
The state is finally enforcing the quotas it sets on regional and local governments for zoning enough land for needed housing. It has also exempted some forms of housing from local zoning rules, and has talked about cracking down on cities that impose impossible land use or design criteria on developers. However, the state’s mostly Democratic politicians have largely been unwilling to put their ideological brethren and allies, such as environmental groups, on the hot seat.

That reluctance is symbolized by their persistent reluctance to make a much-needed overhaul of the California Environmental Quality Act, which is often misused by anti-growth activists and labor unions to tie up housing projects.

Complex problems have complex causes, not just a single cause. IOW, IMO, moderate climate, generous welfare benefits, mental health and drug abuse are as much contributory causes as is gooberment regs stifling home building (moderate climate to a lesser degree, maybe, though I can understand a homeles dude(tte) preferring SF or LA winter to winter in Chicago or NYC).
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
Re: The real cause of California’s homelessness crisis
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2022, 12:51:38 PM »

https://www.vcstar.com/story/opinion/2022/12/18/the-real-cause-of-californias-homelessness-crisis/69733303007/

Complex problems have complex causes, not just a single cause. IOW, IMO, moderate climate, generous welfare benefits, mental health and drug abuse are as much contributory causes as is gooberment regs stifling home building (moderate climate to a lesser degree, maybe, though I can understand a homeles dude(tte) preferring SF or LA winter to winter in Chicago or NYC).

The problem with politicians in general and liberal politicians in specific is that they are unable to come up with solutions other than simple ones. No politician is going to devise a long-term plan to fix something because they may not be in office when the plan pays dividends. Complex solutions tend to be painful and no elected official will put his or her name on something that may hurt their constituents in the short term even though all will benefit in the long term. They understand it is political suicide. Socrates pointed out (and I paraphrase here) that if given a choice to vote for a dentist or the candyman people will almost always vote for the candyman despite having the need of a dentist.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2022, 01:22:13 PM »
The problem with politicians in general and liberal politicians in specific is that they are unable to come up with solutions other than simple ones. No politician is going to devise a long-term plan to fix something because they may not be in office when the plan pays dividends. Complex solutions tend to be painful and no elected official will put his or her name on something that may hurt their constituents in the short term even though all will benefit in the long term. They understand it is political suicide. Socrates pointed out (and I paraphrase here) that if given a choice to vote for a dentist or the candyman people will almost always vote for the candyman despite having the need of a dentist.

Perversely, the inverse is also true. Stupidity tends to bear fruit after the pol(s) responsible are no longer around to be held responsible.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2022, 04:27:54 PM »
Most low information voters can't remember who did what from one election to another. Severe memory loss issues there.

The time-honored politician method of solving problems -- throwing money at them -- is also part of the equation.

Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2022, 05:34:49 PM »
Most low information voters can't remember who did what from one election to another. Severe memory loss issues there.

The time-honored politician method of solving problems -- throwing money at them -- is also part of the equation.

Or even who ran for what office. A prime example that I asked a few months back: Who ran as Hillary Clinton's Vice-Presidential candidate in the 2016 election? My regular crowds are pretty damn knowledgeable and some are self-described political wonks. None of the 8 teams playing that night could remember that it was Tim Kaine. One gal was really mad after I revealed the answer and yelled out "I'm so made at myself, because I voted for him and Hillary and still couldn't remember!!!"
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender