Author Topic: Treasury plan could help automakers: Rep. Frank (by buying up bad car loans)  (Read 1101 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour

you just knew it was going to go from houses to cars. :thatsright: 

Treasury plan could help automakers: Rep. Frank

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. government's $700 billion market rescue plan could assist automakers such as General Motors Corp (GM.N) by buying up distressed auto loans, a top lawmaker said on Tuesday.

"Under the buying up of assets, they could buy up automobile loans," said Barney Frank, a Massachusetts Democrat who chairs the House Financial Services Committee.

Frank also said U.S. banks receiving capital injections under a U.S. Treasury plan to infuse $250 billion into the troubled sector are expected to use the funds to support lending activities.

On Tuesday morning the Treasury Department unveiled more details of how it plans to implement the $700 billion bailout plan passed earlier this month, saying it would directly inject capital into U.S. financial institutions. It said nine banks have already signed on to the program; it did not name the nine.

Frank said the nine are "relatively healthy" and do not appear to be at risk of sustaining large losses from credit default swaps, insurance-like products that protect a bigger investment.

More

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
why now?  why?  i only have 5 payments left on mine... could have used that 2 years ago

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Free cars!  Free cars!  :hyper:

I think Barney is just jealous of Oprah.  :whatever:
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Airwolf

This worked so well the last time with houses.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Lacarnut

This worked so well the last time with houses.

It is unlikely but possible that the Treasury could break even or make money on buying up bad mortgages. Buying up bad car loans is the craziest thing I have ever heard of. The only cars that appreciate in value are the exotics and or limited production vehicles like a Ferrari. Anything else sinks like a rock as soon as it is driven off the lot.