Author Topic: In the Chauvin trial, was the 20 dollar bill ever proven to be fake?  (Read 462 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
70sEraVet (234 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215354052

In the Chauvin trial, was the 20 dollar bill ever proven to be fake?

And if it WAS a fake, is there any indication that George Floyd KNEW it was a fake? It just seems that establishing the justification for the initial call to the police would be an important fact for the jury to consider, whether for the prosecution to show George Floyd as a blameless victim or for the defense to further paint Floyd as an habitual criminal.
I tried to research how the 20 dollar bill issue was presented at the trial, and this was the best I could come up with;
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/19/us/george-floyd-bill-counterfeit.html

:whatever:

Star Member drray23 (5,660 posts)

1. its completely irrelevant

Floyd was not on trial. Chauvin was. Whether or not that bill was counterfeit has no bearing on the actions Chauvin took. It would have been malpractice for the prosecution to focus on that. Their job is not to show that George Floyd was guilty or innocent of anything, it is to show that Chauvin was guilty of murder.

LeftInTX (15,514 posts)

18. I don't think we will ever know..I doubt it is even part of discovery or anything....

Mad_Machine76 (20,805 posts)

17. Exactly

Also, police are not judge, juries, nor executioners. They are not just allowed to kill people unless they’re intervening to legitimately protect themselves or others, although they seem to have a pretty good track record of bringing in armed white killers alive. Unless it would be a capital crime otherwise, police cannot nor should not be able to use any other justification for murder.

:thatsright:

Star Member Ocelot II (93,520 posts)

5. I think it was found to be counterfeit when the store clerk ran it through a scanner, but that's completely irrelevant to the question of Chauvin's guilt, as was whether Floyd knew it was fake. The prosecution didn't have to show that Floyd was a blameless victim; even if he'd intentionally passed a fake bill, or even if he'd printed it himself, it would have had no relevance at all to the question of whether Chauvin used excessive force, and thereby killed him, when arresting him. Floyd could have been Jeffrey Dahmer or the Zodiac Killer and it wouldn't have made Chauvin's actions excusable.

Dreampuff (301 posts)

12. I agree that it is irrelevant

But George Floyd's past and actions were brought up throughout the trial and since Chauvin did not take the stand, no one got to know about his evil doings.

We followed this trial closely and the $20 bill was more than likely counterfeit. The clerk at the store regretted not just putting in a $20 bill of his own after he saw what it led to. Some of the employees at the store claimed that if they took counterfeit bills, they had to pay it back out of their own pocket, but the company denied it.

I believe it was two store employees who went to ask him for a different bill since that one was fake. I don't believe for a second that he knew it was a fake and it wasn't a scam he was running since no other counterfeit bills were being passed around by him in that area.

The defense blamed the victim for his own death and blamed everyone and everything else except the actual killer.

:yawn:

The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline DLR Pyro

Re: In the Chauvin trial, was the 20 dollar bill ever proven to be fake?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 01:23:40 AM »
Mad_Machine76 (20,805 posts)

17. Exactly

Also, police are not judge, juries, nor executioners. They are not just allowed to kill people unless they’re intervening to legitimately protect themselves or others, although they seem to have a pretty good track record of bringing in armed white killers alive.

Ashli Babbit says hello from the grave...
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline SVPete

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 08:39:11 AM »
I'm a bit surprised DU-folk didn't jump on the OP's bandwagon that Floyd shouldn't have been arrested unless the Jackson was proven fake. The relevant concept is probable cause. How many DU-folk also realized that Chauvin and partner were back-up called in after Floyd was resisting to the point of endangering the arresting officers and gathering crowd, I won't venture to guess.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 09:41:06 AM »
Ashli Babbit says hello from the grave...

Former St. Louis police captain David Dorn also wonders the same thing.  Where is the justice for Ms. Babbit and Mr. Dorn, amongst others?
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Drafe Hoblin

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 10:18:57 AM »
The fact that a private-citizen called the police for a 'fake 20' is essentially proof that it's fake.  A blurred or faded print-job on paper that doesn't 'feel' right.

I'm assuming Floyd wasn't passing two 20's, with identical serial-numbers.  That's really dumb, but not surprising with somebody like Floyd's background.