Author Topic: Lucy sets up the football again...  (Read 571 times)

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
Lucy sets up the football again...
« on: August 24, 2009, 02:48:04 PM »

scheming daemons  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Mon Aug-24-09 02:57 PM
Original message
I expect all the people that bashed Obama over torture prosecution to issue a mea culpa....

... but I won't hold my breath:

Holder to Appoint Prosecutor to Investigate CIA Terror Interrogations

Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. has decided to appoint a prosecutor to examine nearly a dozen cases in which CIA interrogators and contractors may have violated anti-torture laws and other statutes when they allegedly threatened terrorism suspects, according to two sources familiar with the move.

Holder is poised to name John Durham, a career Justice Department prosecutor from Connecticut, to lead the inquiry, according to the sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the process is not complete.

Durham's mandate, the sources added, will be relatively narrow: to look at whether there is enough evidence to launch a full-scale criminal investigation of current and former CIA personnel who may have broken the law in their dealings with detainees. Many of the harshest CIA interrogation techniques have not been employed against terrorism suspects for four years or more.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/08/24/AR2009082401743.html?hpid=topnews

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6381151

ima_sinnic  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Mon Aug-24-09 03:00 PM
Response to Original message
4. if nobody had raised hell about prosecution it probably would not have happened

so you can stick your know-it-all bullshit in a posterior orifice.

Yep it's all DU's doing  :lmao:

scheming daemons  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Mon Aug-24-09 03:22 PM
Response to Reply #15
20. "I hoped accountability on war crimes including torture would be part of the change I voted for"

...and now you've gotten that.

...and you're actually bitching and moaning about it.

Because they are almost smart enough to realize that even if wrongdoing by the CIA is discovered * and Cheney will not be frogmarched.

I'm inclined to agree with Rush that this whole thing is a distraction from the Health care blunder by Obama and the gang. Throw a little hope to the left and maybe they will fall back in love with Obama.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline thundley4

Re: Lucy sets up the football again...
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 02:52:59 PM »
There are many Fitzmas threads at the DUmp all talking about Eric Holdem(as racists)'s pronouncement.

Offline jukin

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 02:57:10 PM »
Darth Cheney will squash this in the next couple of weeks.

If alHolder goes after the guys right after the new national service day (9/11) he is going to lose big time.  threaten the family of KSM? Hell yes I would. I would also tell him how I was going to encase them in bacon before they went to go see allah. 

This is going to so back fire on the world's smarterest president ever.  He is going to wish that they were fully focused on nationalizing healthcare.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 03:03:27 PM »
This is going to so back fire on the world's smarterest president ever.  He is going to wish that they were fully focused on nationalizing healthcare.

I think this is a deliberate attempt to get the focus off health care.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 03:52:34 PM »

I'm not sure that this particular topic is the best choice for that, it seems more likely to absorb the efforts of his erstwhile supporters, while merely pissing off his opponents without actually distracting them.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 03:54:37 PM »
I'm not sure that this particular topic is the best choice for that, it seems more likely to absorb the efforts of his erstwhile supporters, while merely pissing off his opponents without actually distracting them.

This is getting a lot of talk on the conservative blogs with not much left for health care.  I think it will be short lived though. 

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 04:44:53 PM »

I agree.  It's all a distraction.  They know that all this will do is to energize the conservatives to pontificate on the dangerous precedent being set up, and how it will come back to haunt them.  They're trying to get the focus off of the health-care debacle.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline jukin

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 04:49:46 PM »

I fully agree. The Obumbler leaves for vacation and demands a press blackout (can I say that?  Probably not.) while Holder independently orders this.  The strategy is terrible (& scares the piss out of me should some real incident happen) as it already failed earlier in the year.  It failed in public opinion arena and will fail again. It will laast less than a few days all the while the HellCare protests keep going strong.  

The only positive for team Obumbles is that it will take the heat off of how poorly managed his domestic policy is being conducted by demonstrating that the smarterest president ever is even more incompetent in in foreignpolicy and self-defense.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.