Author Topic: Turmeric for Joint Pain  (Read 12278 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Turmeric for Joint Pain
« on: October 22, 2011, 09:10:12 PM »
The Doctor’s Remedy: Turmeric for Joint Pain

A study published in The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine in 2009 compared the active ingredient in turmeric, curcumin, with ibuprofen for pain relief in 107 people with knee osteoarthritis. The curcumin eased pain and improved function about as well as the ibuprofen. Another study, by researchers at Baylor University Medical Center in 2008, reported that taking curcumin daily in moderate doses for up to three months was safe.

Because the active compound in turmeric can sometimes slow blood clotting, avoid taking it at least two weeks before any scheduled surgery, and do not mix with blood thinners like warfarin and Plavix. It may also worsen gallbladder problems, so avoid it if you have gallstones. Check with your doctor before trying it.
New York Times

Anybody want to give this a shot and let us know if it works?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: Turmeric for Joint Pain
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 12:32:33 AM »
Already have and it does. It's better than prescription pain killers.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline whiffleball

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 05:21:36 AM »
I take loads of turmeric for the anti inflammation/cancer properties.  It's cheaper than buying curcumin, which is what I probably should be using instead.  I'm wondering if the fact that I take so much kept my recent broken leg from being as painful as I expected it would be.

Offline Inga

• Be Ready
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 02:57:39 AM »
I have customers that come to the store,which take two tablespoons in a small amount of milk.They said they had to stir alot. They have less joint and muscle pain, less inflamation.One customer had psoriasis very bad on her legs,in a week it was almost gone. Good stuff.
There will always be "Battles" to fight.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 03:00:40 AM »
Gotta put this on my list of homeopathy.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Inga

• Be Ready
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 03:10:58 AM »
It's more of a naturopathic remedy. ::)
There will always be "Battles" to fight.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 01:43:19 AM »
It's more of a naturopathic remedy. ::)
I can't say I'm familiar with that. All that I am familiar with is
Homeopathy
Allopathy
Osteopathy
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.