Author Topic: Don't put burning candles in your ears, FDA says  (Read 20677 times)

Offline thundley4

Don't put burning candles in your ears, FDA says
« on: February 19, 2010, 04:47:04 PM »
As the L.A. Times health blog reports, the Food and Drug Administration recently issued a warning advising consumers not to use "ear candles"—fabric that is soaked in either paraffin or beeswax, set on fire and deliberately placed in the ear.

These candles, which allow wax to drip into the ear canal (if you don't set your hair on fire first), supposedly help with a range of ailments including ear infections, sinus infections and sore throats. For those ear candle devotees, warm olive oil poured into the ear is a good home remedy for getting out some excess wax build-up, and doesn't involve flame near your lobes.

Sheesh, and doctors thought they had to worry about their patients shoving Q-tips in too far.

Read more: http://wellness.blogs.time.com/2010/02/19/dont-put-burning-candles-in-your-ears-fda-says/#ixzz0g1bGr10r

This sounds like something the DUmmies might try.

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
Re: Don't put burning candles in your ears, FDA says
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 04:52:14 PM »
If you light your head on fire, you deserve whatever bad happens. And after you do that, light your genitals on fire so you can't procreate.
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 05:22:02 PM »
The salon and spa where I do my hair does this.  I always thought it was weird...guess they will be taking it off their list.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 05:28:27 PM »
The salon and spa where I do my hair does this.  I always thought it was weird...guess they will be taking it off their list.

Did you ever have it done?  I think it might be safer if someone was doing it to a person, but to try it yourself, seems dangerous.  But then, how would you get hardened wax out of the ear canal?

Offline ColonialMarine0431

• DEUS VULT
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 05:30:15 PM »
In other news, the government announced today new warning labels to be put on all firearms: "Do not place barrel in mouth and pull trigger"

Just how damn dumb have Americans become?  :mental:
I'll See Your Jihad and Raise You One Crusade

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 05:37:18 PM »

Offline SilverOrchid

• Proud momma of two little belles!
  • California Conservative-Yes, we exist!
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 05:58:15 PM »
That never seemed like a smart idea. What is wrong with some Q-tips bought at the dollor store?

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 06:17:44 PM »
That never seemed like a smart idea. What is wrong with some Q-tips bought at the dollor store?

Have you ever tried to light a Q-Tip?  It ain't easy.

:-)

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 06:42:04 PM »

"Candling" was big at the spas around here about 10 years or so ago. I never had it done, but women I know that did.....loved it.

Not sure why....but said it felt incredible.

Hot wax in my ear did just not sound like fun...bad enough to do it to my eyebrows... :whatever:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 07:04:53 PM »
In other news, the government announced today new warning labels to be put on all firearms: "Do not place barrel in mouth and pull trigger"

Go to the DUmp and see for yourself! :fuelfire:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline SilverOrchid

• Proud momma of two little belles!
  • California Conservative-Yes, we exist!
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 08:09:12 PM »

"Candling" was big at the spas around here about 10 years or so ago. I never had it done, but women I know that did.....loved it.

Not sure why....but said it felt incredible.

Hot wax in my ear did just not sound like fun...bad enough to do it to my eyebrows... :whatever:

Threading is the way to go, just sayin'

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 10:12:59 PM »

Ditto on this!

My uncle and cousins use ear candles, and they swear by them.  They are definitely not DUmmies, and they've never burned themselves.

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 12:27:33 AM »
Ditto on this!

My uncle and cousins use ear candles, and they swear by them.  They are definitely not DUmmies, and they've never burned themselves.

Someone did an actual scientific study on ear candles and found that the "ear wax" residue that people see in the remnants of the cones appears even when the candles are burned away from someone's ear.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2010, 04:57:23 AM »

What's "threading"?  Do I want to know?

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 07:41:55 AM »
It is controversial certainly.

· Time for some more home science experiments. Robin Sidgwick sends in the catalogue for Ragdale Hall health hydro, which includes the fabulously theatrical “ear candling”: the idea is that a hollow tube of wax invented by Hopi indians is inserted into your ear and lit, in order to suck out any impurities. After the treatment, the candle is triumphantly opened, and shown to be full of orange goo. It’s excellent for “excess wax in the ears, sinusitis, or general blocked sinuses… A must for anyone who hates the syringe!” After an argument at a party about how sceptical I always am, I’ve got a Hopi ear candle right here. Time for a Johnny Ball moment. Get an ear candle. Wave it over an ashtray or some carpet fluff as I am now doing: nothing so far… A paper published in the medical journal Laryngoscope used rather expensive tympanometry and found that ear candles exert no suction. The researchers also found no reduction in the amount of wax after a programme of ear candling. Although, if you’re getting bored of all these negative findings, they did ask 122 colleagues, and collected 21 cases of serious injury from burning wax falling on to the ear drum. If you find, while having your ear candled, that you experience a sudden loss of hearing, and agony followed by bleeding: that’ll be the deafening sound of your own painful credulity. ...
http://www.badscience.net/2004/03/waxing-sceptical/

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2010, 08:53:07 AM »

There's your answer.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2010, 10:58:52 AM »

There's your answer.

Now that was totally uncalled for.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2010, 11:05:39 AM »
You're not supposed to put the lit end in your ear. :whatever:
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2010, 12:21:21 PM »
What's "threading"?  Do I want to know?

It is where they use a twisted thread to remove hair.  Very effective, and the place I go makes my eyebrows look much better than any of the women who ever waxed them.

Here is video on it.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIeHYNt-rl4[/youtube]

It isn't pain free like the girl claims, but I don't think it is any worse than any other method. 

Offline thundley4

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2010, 01:22:08 PM »
It is where they use a twisted thread to remove hair.  Very effective, and the place I go makes my eyebrows look much better than any of the women who ever waxed them.

Here is video on it.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIeHYNt-rl4[/youtube]

It isn't pain free like the girl claims, but I don't think it is any worse than any other method. 

Women are sadistic/masochistic creatures , aren't they?  The things they do themselves and dream up to do to themselves.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2010, 10:59:10 PM »
When I lived in NY, I went to a woman who did this...and my eyebrows did look better...and while it wasn't painless, it was less pain then waxing.  I also found a woman in Miami who used threading...they were both russian.  I haven't found anyone up here yet....

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2010, 08:31:26 AM »
When I lived in NY, I went to a woman who did this...and my eyebrows did look better...and while it wasn't painless, it was less pain then waxing.  I also found a woman in Miami who used threading...they were both russian.  I haven't found anyone up here yet....

I get mine waxed...I don't know that I would have the patience to sit there with the threading. I fidget when someone is messing with me.  :whatever:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.