Author Topic: Electronic Book readers  (Read 60675 times)

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
Re: Electronic Book readers
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2010, 10:15:08 AM »
You came to pretty much the same conclusion that I did. They are about $148 @ WalMart(the non-wifi).

The $149 Nook I'm leaning towards has wifi, it just doesn't have the 3G, and I don't think I really need the 3G. I really like the idea of text to speech because I'm 1 of those people who can't read in the car because I get car sick, but I guess it doesn't matter because I doubt hubby would want to listen to a book being read on a long drive anyway. I think I'll go to Barnes and Noble after Christmas and take a look at it. I didn't know Walmart had them so I just may take a look at them up there.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2010, 10:44:12 AM »
The $149 Nook I'm leaning towards has wifi, it just doesn't have the 3G, and I don't think I really need the 3G. I really like the idea of text to speech because I'm 1 of those people who can't read in the car because I get car sick, but I guess it doesn't matter because I doubt hubby would want to listen to a book being read on a long drive anyway. I think I'll go to Barnes and Noble after Christmas and take a look at it. I didn't know Walmart had them so I just may take a look at them up there.

M listens to books on tape when we're long distance driving. I read a book at the same time. I just can't focus on the voice....I want the book.  :-)
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2010, 10:50:50 AM »
M listens to books on tape when we're long distance driving. I read a book at the same time. I just can't focus on the voice....I want the book.  :-)

LOL, it's usually either politics or sports on in the car, or the local station to get traffic. I wish I could read in the car, if I have to read a map I can only look at it for seconds at a time or there'd be a mess in the car.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2010, 12:17:44 PM »
LOL, it's usually either politics or sports on in the car, or the local station to get traffic. I wish I could read in the car, if I have to read a map I can only look at it for seconds at a time or there'd be a mess in the car.

Reading maps is a problem....all those little lines moving around!!

I can't have the book in my lap, I have to slouch down and hold it up in front of me. I'm good with putting the seatback quite a ways, and my feet up on the edge of the dash or window, so that I can prop the book on my legs at eye level. (did that make any sense at all? :-) )
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2010, 12:38:55 PM »
Reading maps is a problem....all those little lines moving around!!

I can't have the book in my lap, I have to slouch down and hold it up in front of me. I'm good with putting the seatback quite a ways, and my feet up on the edge of the dash or window, so that I can prop the book on my legs at eye level. (did that make any sense at all? :-) )

It makes sense, I wonder if the positioning of your head makes 1 less nauseous?

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2010, 02:23:43 PM »

I'd say simply that some people are prone to motion sickness moreso than others. Being able to focus on far away images while in motion reduces some of that, I think, while focusing on small script while moving doesn't give you a sense or feeling of perspective and thus, the queasies kick in.

I have no idea what I'm talking about, but that sounds plausible.  :shucks:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2010, 02:51:56 PM »

It does for me. By putting my legs up and being able to prop the book against them, it keeps the book from moving around. It helps, too, if it's interstate travel.

I do have a motion sickness problem...and get migraines. They apparently go hand-in-hand with each other. According to the neurologist I went to...there are specific triggers. Windy roads, hilly roads, roller coasters, tilt-a-wheels, ferris wheels, merry-go-rounds(even those things that go around on playgrounds), on a boat (the deeper the water, the worse it is for me), sitting with back towards the direction of movement - like on a train, in a limo, on a boat). There's more..but those are primary for me.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2011, 06:02:01 PM »
Well I got the Kindle and I love it! The reason I decided on the Kindle instead of the Nook was the text to speech feature and the weight, it was so light when I held it. I went to get it at Staples and they were out, the guy said he can't keep the $139 Kindle's in stock, he checked Staple stores within 20 miles and they were all sold out, same thing with Target, so I just ordered it from Amazon and got it the other day. I didn't order a case with it, I have a neoprene case I was going to use, that didn't work out very well because I didn't feel it was that secure in my purse, so I ordered a case and it'll be here next week.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2011, 06:08:21 PM »
Mrs E got me a Kindel for my birthday in Oct., and I haven't really used it till today. Downloaded three books from Amazon. Still working through my printed books, though.

Some of those neoprene covers are ridiculously expensive - I saw one today on Amazon.com for $54. WTF?

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2011, 06:16:05 PM »
Mrs E got me a Kindel for my birthday in Oct., and I haven't really used it till today. Downloaded three books from Amazon. Still working through my printed books, though.

Some of those neoprene covers are ridiculously expensive - I saw one today on Amazon.com for $54. WTF?

OMG! I think I paid like $10 for my Neoprene cover at Walmart, $54 is ridiculous! I found a nice case at Amazon for like $18:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00428C1I0/ref=oss_product

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2011, 06:19:46 PM »
Well I got the Kindle and I love it! The reason I decided on the Kindle instead of the Nook was the text to speech feature and the weight, it was so light when I held it. I went to get it at Staples and they were out, the guy said he can't keep the $139 Kindle's in stock, he checked Staple stores within 20 miles and they were all sold out, same thing with Target, so I just ordered it from Amazon and got it the other day. I didn't order a case with it, I have a neoprene case I was going to use, that didn't work out very well because I didn't feel it was that secure in my purse, so I ordered a case and it'll be here next week.

My parents gave me a kindle for Christmas, and I love it so far.  I don't think it will replace printed books, I'm too addicted to used bookstores and cheap books in general, but it will definitely be a supplement.  They got me a beautiful blue leather cover as well.  My mom gave me a metal bookmark, the type that it hooked that is supposed to hang over the spine of the book, with a pretty blue stone in it as well, and it it my new kindle case accessory, because I don't actually use bookmarks, I just remember the page I stopped on.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2011, 07:42:13 PM »
My parents gave me a kindle for Christmas, and I love it so far.  I don't think it will replace printed books, I'm too addicted to used bookstores and cheap books in general, but it will definitely be a supplement.  They got me a beautiful blue leather cover as well.  My mom gave me a metal bookmark, the type that it hooked that is supposed to hang over the spine of the book, with a pretty blue stone in it as well, and it it my new kindle case accessory, because I don't actually use bookmarks, I just remember the page I stopped on.

I thought I was going to be a book purist but I have to say I love it more than books.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »
OMG! I think I paid like $10 for my Neoprene cover at Walmart, $54 is ridiculous! I found a nice case at Amazon for like $18:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00428C1I0/ref=oss_product

Here's one for $60. With a built-in light.  :whatever:

Books are cheap, but the gizmos will rape you.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2011, 08:44:03 PM »
Here's one for $60. With a built-in light.  :whatever:

Books are cheap, but the gizmos will rape you.

I have 2 portable booklights that I can just attach to the cover.

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2011, 09:30:53 PM »
I hinted at a Kindle for Christmas, but did not receive one.  Which is okay because we can't really afford one right now anyway.  Maybe things will be looking better around my birthday and hubby will get me one then.  Having a baby around, I think the electronic book would be better.  The worst a toddler could do is press a button instead of accidentally tearing a page out.  Plus it could fit in my purse much better than a book.
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2011, 10:05:00 PM »
I hinted at a Kindle for Christmas, but did not receive one.  Which is okay because we can't really afford one right now anyway.  Maybe things will be looking better around my birthday and hubby will get me one then.  Having a baby around, I think the electronic book would be better.  The worst a toddler could do is press a button instead of accidentally tearing a page out.  Plus it could fit in my purse much better than a book.

And it's so light to carry in your purse.

Offline Janice

• This election is about paychecks v. food stamps
« Reply #66 on: January 01, 2011, 10:28:41 PM »
Ooo... lookin at what you guys posted, I didnt know the whole package was so expensive. At least for our budget atm.

Now I know. :)
Reagan bankrupted the Soviet Empire ...

Obama is bankrupting the American Republic

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #67 on: January 01, 2011, 11:01:36 PM »
Ooo... lookin at what you guys posted, I didnt know the whole package was so expensive. At least for our budget atm.

Now I know. :)

I wouldn't of gotten it if I didn't get Christmas money, the Kindle cost $139, I have wifi but felt I didn't need the 3G, and there are some really nice cases on buy.com for under $10.

Offline Janice

« Reply #68 on: January 02, 2011, 12:36:53 AM »
From what Ive seen $139 is the deal of the day.

Is that the same thing as a Kindle 3 Wireless eBook Reader? Are there diff ones?

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2011, 05:45:41 AM »
The worst a toddler could do is:

Throw it in the trash when you aren't looking
Flush it down the toilet...or at least, try
Throw it in the bathtub with "the other" toys
Dunk it in the dog's water
Use it for throwing practice
Puke on it
Beat on it with another object

etc, etc

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline ironhorsedriver

« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2011, 06:11:59 AM »
I've said on here before I love my Kindle. It doesn't replace books, simply puts them in electronic format. It's light, easy to read,and can provide you with as many books you want, and stay the same size and weight. Real handy when traveling. Right now I have about 200 books, all carried in one hand.
As far as wi-fi goes, I like it. It allows me to buy a book anywhere I am, for at least 50% off of the hard copy price. If I see a 30.00 book I want while we are out shopping, I go out and punch it up on the kindle and pay no more than 15.00. Nice. I don't feel like I'm a traitor to the world of literacy because I didn't buy the book. I read for my own entertainment and enlightenment, and especially in this economy, cheaper is better.
Allthough the initial price of an e-reader seems high, it pays for itself very quickly in savings on book prices.
My complaints are few, but there are some. #1 being that Kindle is not backlite, would really be excellent then.
#2 is no color, yet. I'm thinking about moving up to the new Nook, with color. I would probably get most of my magazine subscriptions electronically then.
All in all, I'm a true convert to electronic readers.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #71 on: January 02, 2011, 07:32:25 AM »
From what Ive seen $139 is the deal of the day.

Is that the same thing as a Kindle 3 Wireless eBook Reader? Are there diff ones?

The $139 is the everyday price for the Kindle 3 with wifi, this is the 1 I got:

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wireless-Reader-Wifi-Graphite/dp/B002Y27P3M/ref=amb_link_354880722_3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=0TDEEA4N2AYAF48VVTCN&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1285124602&pf_rd_i=507846

This is the $189 version that has 3G and wifi:

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wireless-Reader-3G-Wifi-Graphite/dp/B002FQJT3Q/ref=amb_link_354880722_4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=0TDEEA4N2AYAF48VVTCN&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1285124602&pf_rd_i=507846

From what I've read the only reason to get 3G is if you have a hard time getting a signal somewhere or if you're traveling overseas, the purpose of it is to be able to pretty much download a book anywhere you go. I download books at home with Amazon's 1 click so I really didn't need the 3G.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #72 on: January 02, 2011, 08:28:31 AM »
Mrs E told me that the Kindle (and maybe all electronic readers) can contain as many as 20,000 books.

That's a bigass library right in the palm of your hand. Amazing.

Offline Janice

« Reply #73 on: January 02, 2011, 10:05:32 AM »
Thanks for the info Ballygrl. :)

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2011, 01:29:04 PM »
The worst a toddler could do is:

Throw it in the trash when you aren't looking
Flush it down the toilet...or at least, try
Throw it in the bathtub with "the other" toys
Dunk it in the dog's water
Use it for throwing practice
Puke on it
Beat on it with another object

etc, etc

Which is all true if I leave it laying around, unattended.

We have to get one of those toilet seat locks though.  She has figured out how to open it, but has not thrown anything in there yet.  Thank goodness!
You may call me Jessica or Jess.