Author Topic: Gout anyone...  (Read 14323 times)

Offline Inga

• Be Ready
Gout anyone...
« on: November 25, 2008, 11:54:09 PM »
Gout is a uric acid build up. Caused by a diet high in saturated fats,refined carbohydrates, and alcohol,insulin resistances,dehydration,stress,kidney disease or an acidic system. Pharmaceutical medicines such as aspirin, diuretics and high doses of niacin therapy.

Try the berries such as cherries,blueberries,or strawberries will neutralize the uric acid.They make cherries in a tablet you can get at the health food store. You could take about 6 a day. Eating fish such as salmon,cod,halibut and sardines reduce the inflammation. You could get the fish oil soft gels. And for the sensitive stomach get the enteric coated soft gels. Must also increase your water intake to flush the gout out of the system.

Things that aggravate gout are rich foods, red meat, gravies,and alcohol to name a few.

There will always be "Battles" to fight.

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
Re: Gout anyone...
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 05:36:50 AM »
Gout is a uric acid build up. Caused by a diet high in saturated fats,refined carbohydrates, and alcohol,insulin resistances,dehydration,stress,kidney disease or an acidic system. Pharmaceutical medicines such as aspirin, diuretics and high doses of niacin therapy.

Try the berries such as cherries,blueberries,or strawberries will neutralize the uric acid.They make cherries in a tablet you can get at the health food store. You could take about 6 a day. Eating fish such as salmon,cod,halibut and sardines reduce the inflammation. You could get the fish oil soft gels. And for the sensitive stomach get the enteric coated soft gels. Must also increase your water intake to flush the gout out of the system.

Things that aggravate gout are rich foods, red meat, gravies,and alcohol to name a few.

When I have attacks I drink black cherry juice,the medication they prescribe for it makes me very sick! :cheersmate:
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 06:24:39 AM »
Gout ran in this family, for at least several generations, until I came along.

The older siblings used to reminesce a great deal about our father, who apparently suffered much, and loudly, from gout (I would have no such recollection).

And they themselves got it.

I suspect I temporarily suffered from gout in my early 20s--the symptoms were the standard usual run-of-the-mill symptoms for gout--but within two years after I stopped sucking on the bottle, it evaporated, and has never returned.

And that's been a long time now.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 06:54:08 AM »
Gout ran in this family, for at least several generations, until I came along.

The older siblings used to reminesce a great deal about our father, who apparently suffered much, and loudly, from gout (I would have no such recollection).

And they themselves got it.

I suspect I temporarily suffered from gout in my early 20s--the symptoms were the standard usual run-of-the-mill symptoms for gout--but within two years after I stopped sucking on the bottle, it evaporated, and has never returned.

And that's been a long time now.
Yeah it really sucks Frank.I haven't had an attack in a while,mostly because I adjusted my diet and drank more water{I am a big fan of beer and steak!} It also runs in my family so I have to be cognizant of what I eat. The pain gets so bad I can't put shoes on.
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 08:47:37 AM »
Yeah it really sucks Frank.I haven't had an attack in a while,mostly because I adjusted my diet and drank more water{I am a big fan of beer and steak!} It also runs in my family so I have to be cognizant of what I eat. The pain gets so bad I can't put shoes on.

What I recall of it would be the intense pressure on the side of the right big toe.

Even rubbing it vigorously didn't help; one just had to wait for it to go away.

But fortunately, that's been years and years ago (maybe the early 1990s).

The siblings and my mother used to talk about when my paternal ancestor had it, much audible moaning and bitching and whining.

One of my older brothers said even morphine wouldn't kill it.

But this was all outside of my observation when a little lad, because I can't hear, and so I never noticed anything.  But ultimately, it afflicted all members (two parents, six of eight children--I'm not counting myself or my younger brother, who died too early to develop it if he were fated to develop it).

For me, whenever I see the word "gout," I just think for half a second, "Oh, yeah, the royal affliction," and then go on reading.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Patriot Lady

• Credo ut intellegam
  • Just Off Probation
  • Courage
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 11:54:06 AM »
Yup- diet is the key! Once we are cognisant of what and how we eat- we can beat most maladies. Most Americans are running an extremely low pH- therefore we are getting more associated problems.
"THERE IS NOTHING MORE FRIGHTENING THAN ACTIVE IGNORANCE."
-- Goethe

Offline vickywatts

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 01:59:43 AM »
The human body is a complex system, where several biochemical and metabolic reactions continue to take place every time. These reactions produce a lot of wastes like, ammonia, urea and uric acid. These waste products are processed in different ways to produce the final waste. Human body excretes most of the waste as uric acid which passes through urine. In case of under performing kidneys, uric acid does not move out of the body a condition known as hyperuricemia. It finds place in the body joints and settles there as uric acid crystals.

About .3% of the world population suffers from the disease. Males are more prone to this disease than women. This is because gout is caused by excessive intake of alcohol such as beer or wine. Gout attacks people aged between 40 and 50 years of age. Women get this disease mostly after menopause. Redness and inflammation of affected joints is the most common symptom. There is severe pain in the affected area which is in the worst state during night.

There are several easy and convenient methods of curing gout. A routine exercise is a must for a healthy body. Exercises which help in light stretching of affected joints may be effective gout remedies. Exercise also reduces excessive body weight which may be one of the causes for gout.

Use of natural fruits and vegetables helps reduce the uric acid content of the body and is a useful gout remedy. Red cherries whether sweet or sour are helpful in curing gout. If the gout attack is acute about 15-20 cherries are required to cure gout. Later the number per day can be reduced to 10 cherries a day. Mixture of carrot, beet and cucumber juice is one of the most effective gout remedies. A 500ml consumption of this juice daily helps cure gout effectively. Fluids are excellent solvents for the body wastes including uric acid. Intake of six to eight glasses of water a day helps in the elimination of crystals of uric acid. Thus it is a cheap and convenient gout remedy. Dairy products such as cheese and butter help to reduce uric acid from the body and help in curing gout.  Diets rich in potassium, malic acid, and vitamin C neutralize the negative effects of uric acid and help in its removal from the body.

Some foods need to be avoided by gout patients so that their disease is cured completely and in less time. The avoidance of such things is a gout remedy in itself. Alcoholic drinks such as beer and wine should be strictly kept away from gout patients. Intake of these hard drinks may multiply the disease many times. Improper processing of purine a protein in the body increases the content of uric acid. This intensifies the disease and the pain and suffering associated with it. Substances which have high levels of purines present in them should be avoided by gout patients at least at the time of gout attack. These include organ meat, crabs, mushrooms, dried peas, sauces etc. Use these simple methods and prevent and cure gout.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 11:57:38 AM »
Just found this and I wonder why  this stuff on Gout all goes to diet.

I was married to a man who began to complain about severe pain in his feet.  He went to a foot doctor that kept shooting him with steroids in the big toes.

At the time my husband was only 28 years old, did not drink, smoke or eat high fat foods.  I was in Nursing school at the time and had seen quite a few older patients with Gout and my husband did not fit the mold.

I spoke with his doctor a few times and came away really confused,--what the heck was wrong with my Mans feet.? 

So here is where it got really weird, we had been married about 5 years and I asked him about his fathers history and that side of the family I never met any of them.   He and his divorced mom never mentioned his father and did not welcome questions about him.

Shit, his symptoms were an exact match for Gout but he did not live a life style to cause it.  His doctor refused to test him for Uric Acid as he did not fit the profile.

I called his mother and explained the problem but she blew me off, she was willing to cause her son much pain as long as he did not know her secretes.               

One day I got a wild hair up my butt and got out his birth certificate when he was born in Georgia and noted the doctor that delivered him.

I got his phone number and he was still in business.  I had one heck of a time getting to talk to him but finally when I said my husband had a life threatening disease the Doctor called me.

Comes down to My Husband had been adopted by his mothers second husband.  The Doctor was the family doctor for his birth father and family.

He, the Doctor called a family member to tell them My Husband needed medical information.  They called us in a few hours.

Seems that Gout ran in the family and had savaged a few members. 

I called Hubby's Doctor and told him that if he did not want to do a Uric Acid test then I needed a written statement on why not.

Test was done the next day and a few days later his doctor called me and Snarled that Hubby had Gout and hung up on me.

One can be a vegetarian and come down with Gout if it is in the DNA.