Author Topic: AP- Free-republic going to war- The DUmp is only left leaning  (Read 870 times)

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
AP- Free-republic going to war- The DUmp is only left leaning
« on: November 24, 2008, 05:37:21 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x4527325

sabra  (1000+ posts)        Mon Nov-24-08 03:04 PM
Original message
AP: Free-republic gets ready to do battle again: "We've got people just spitting nails." 

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/scien...

Pioneer behind grass-roots conservative Web site gets ready to do battle again

ASSOCIATED PRESS

This year, as Barack Obama prepares to sweep into office on another tide of Democratic votes, Robinson and denizens of that Web site, freerepublic.com, are preparing to do battle again.

"We'll double and redouble our efforts to fight for what is right," Robinson says. "We've got people just spitting nails."

Free Republic, founded by Robinson in September 1996, doesn't attract much attention from the national press and is not well-known among political experts. Many of its postings have a decidedly fringe feel.

And Free Republic played a key role in driving an anonymous chain e-mail that falsely claimed Obama had concealed ties to radical Islam, according to Danielle Allen, a professor of social science at the Princeton, N.J.-based Institute for Advanced Study who studied the rumor.

For instance, Allen said, Free Republic was the first to let users set the agenda -- an approach later copied by the left-leaning Democratic Underground.

Justyce  (1000+ posts)      Mon Nov-24-08 03:07 PM
Response to Original message
3. We're only left "leaning"?? LOL. nt

hlthe2b  (1000+ posts)      Mon Nov-24-08 03:11 PM
8. So, after 12 years, are they finally going to revamp that terrible
 interface? Now, granted, I don't go over there, but the sample postings that make there way here are ridiculously hard to follow (and not simply because of the lack of grammar, punctuation, spelling, and thought)...

hlthe2b. The mole detector. :-)

progressoid  (1000+ posts)      Mon Nov-24-08 03:16 PM
12. "We'll double and redouble" ... our fundraising drives

Der Skimmer thanks you.

bluestateguy  (1000+ posts)        Mon Nov-24-08 03:17 PM
13. If you don't support the president, and his policies you hate America
 The country is the leader and the leader is the country.

Anything less than full support is to play into the hands of Al Qaeda.

Where was this sentiment the last eight years?

G_j  (1000+ posts)      Mon Nov-24-08 07:11 PM
Response to Reply #23
30. well maybe, lean..
 in the general direction,
some who have leaned too far perhaps,
are no longer here.
Although folks like you and I and others, who are genuinely on the left, follow the rules and may often self-censor.

I wonder what happened to them? Hummmmmmmmmmmmm :devious:
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
Re: AP- Free-republic going to war- The DUmp is only left leaning
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 05:59:07 PM »
bluestateguy  (1000+ posts)        Mon Nov-24-08 03:17 PM
13. If you don't support the president, and his policies you hate America
 The country is the leader and the leader is the country.

Anything less than full support is to play into the hands of Al Qaeda.

:lmao: .........can't breathe...............help...............I might need an ambulance...............Elizabeth, I'm coming to........... :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 06:01:05 PM »

:lmao: .........can't breathe...............help...............I might need an ambulance...............Elizabeth, I'm coming to........... :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
It is a sarcastic post.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline jukin

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 06:03:15 PM »
Bronzy
Goldy
Irony
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 06:09:49 PM »
It is a sarcastic post.

I KNOW......BUT YA NEVER KNOW.................my side still hurts
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 06:17:49 PM »
hlthe2b  (1000+ posts)      Mon Nov-24-08 03:11 PM

8. So, after 12 years, are they finally going to revamp that terrible interface? Now, granted, I don't go over there, but the sample postings that make there [sic] way here are ridiculously hard to follow (and not simply because of the lack of grammar, punctuation, spelling, and thought)...

Yeah, yeah, yeah.  We all know what literates the primitives are.

Anyway, I know many, everyone from decent and civilized people to the primitives, gripe about the "format" of freerepublic.

I rather like the format of freerepublic, especially since the comments are listed chronologically.

In case no one's noticed this, many primitives have taken advantage of the non-chronological format of Skins's island to purposely deceive their audience; one has to be REAL careful to observe the date and time of each primitive comment.

As for other aspects of freerepublic, one has to remember that freerepublic was the first, and is still the biggest.  When freerepublic first came into being, it was state-of-the-art, the best format available; there was nothing as awesomely up-to-date as its own format.

Well, things move on, things change, and sometimes better formats are devised.

But for freerepublic to change its format, would be like remodelling Versailles Palace to look like the Nebraska state capitol, a "more modern" building.

It's only my opinion, but freerepublic should stay the same as it had originally been built, like Versailles Palace, and besides, this "now out-dated" format doesn't seem to discourage either membership growth or audience growth.

The primitives are just being really stupid.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 06:25:58 PM »

H5. Haven't thought of Fred in years. :cheersmate:
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.