Author Topic: Obama the first Gen-X President  (Read 2119 times)

Offline Servonaut

• In Memoriam
  • "Memento Mori"
Obama the first Gen-X President
« on: November 07, 2008, 05:56:49 PM »
WTF

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=132x7804156

Tyler Generation (93 posts)      Thu Nov-06-08 08:21 AM
Original message
Obama the first Gen-X President
I'm sorry but I think it's quite a stretch to consider a man that didn't even hit his 30's till the 1990's a baby boomer.

If you look up when generations begin and end there is a lot of contradictory information, so it's kind of hard to gauge. I think we can agree WWII was long over by 1961.

With that said, I'd like to believe a generational barricade was broken too on the 4th and President Obama is our first Gen-X President.

marmar  (1000+ posts)        Thu Nov-06-08 08:24 AM
Response to Original message
1. He's not really a GenXer either.....He's kind of in that undefined zone between the two. 
 n/t

maxsolomon (1000+ posts)      Fri Nov-07-08 05:30 PM
Response to Reply #1
66. the term is GENERATION JONES
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Jones

Generation Jones is a term that describes people in certain English-speaking countries born between the years 1960 and 1975. American social commentator Jonathan Pontell identified this generation and coined the term to name it.<1> Generation Jones has been referred to as a heretofore lost generation between the Baby boomers and Generation X, since prior to the popularization of Pontell’s theory, its members were included with either the Boomers or Xers. The name connotes a large, anonymous generation, and derives from the slang term “jonesing”, referring to Pontell's claim that this generation feels "unrequited cravings and unfulfilled expectations."<2>

NOT Gen X.

Xithras (1000+ posts)        Fri Nov-07-08 05:49 PM
Response to Reply #1
67. People get too focused on the years. GenX is defined by their PARENTS generation. 
 Edited on Fri Nov-07-08 05:51 PM by Xithras
GenXers are essentially the children of the Baby Boomers. Baby Boomers were born between 1943 and 1964. The first boomers turned 18 and hit adulthood in 1961, which is why GenX typically starts in 1961. The Boomers were hitting child bearing age, and the new babies were increasingly the children of the boomers (naturally, there's a lot of overlap). X was cut off in 1981 because the first Xers were starting to contribute babies of their own, the first Gen Y kids.

So the answer to the Obama question is simple. Was his mother a Boomer? Ann Dunham was born on November 29, 1942 which technically makes her a member of the Silent Generation. The reality here is that she missed the traditional cutoff for the "Baby Boomer" mantle by 32 days. However, since her father was a young WWII vet who simply got started on his family a little faster than some of his peers, this is more of a minor technicality. According to the traditional generational rulers, Ann Dunham was simply one of the very first Boomers to be born.

That makes her son, Barack, an Xer. 
seabeyond  (1000+ posts)        Thu Nov-06-08 08:25 AM
Response to Original message
2. if obama is gen X then i am. i was told i was boomer. dont wanna be boomer
 i like gen X better. he is one month older. coolest

lolcat anyone ?

Nedsdag (1000+ posts)      Fri Nov-07-08 03:33 PM
Response to Reply #2
50. Me too!
 I was born in 1963 and I have nothing in coming with the average boomer.

Me too DUmmie, you are confusing boomer with loser. 

Offline Vagabond

Re: Obama the first Gen-X President
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 06:54:28 PM »
Actually, I'm thinking he is the first president to go out of his way to piss off everybody before he even takes office.  So far, he hinted to his cultists that they might have to work, and not only work but work hard.  One gets the feeling they really aren't about work.  Then he bad-mouthed Nancy Reagan, which will have the nice effect of pissing off conservatives, women, and the old all at the same time.  Not to mention the stock market (business sector) doesn't seem to like him.

I really can't wait to see what kind of economic plan this idiot comes up with.
There comes a time when even good men must run up the black flag of anarchy and slit throats. - H.L. Mencken

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 06:56:22 PM »

Two words: Jennifer Granholm
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Vagabond

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 07:21:04 PM »
Two words: Jennifer Granholm
Now I'm scared. :o Of, coure if he does that all of his :cheerleader: :cheerleader2: :cheerleader: :cheerleader2: :cheerleader: :cheerleader2: :cheerleader: :cheerleader2: Will go :angryvillagers: on his ass.
There comes a time when even good men must run up the black flag of anarchy and slit throats. - H.L. Mencken

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 07:37:59 PM »
So does this mean there's going to be a lot of Green Day and Dinosaur Jr. songs at his press events?  Belly?
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 07:42:57 PM »
So, once again the Little Goons are attempting to redefine reality to suit their desires.  Par. 

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 08:12:58 PM »
So, once again the Little Goons are attempting to redefine reality to suit their desires.  Par. 

As usual, the primitives don't know excresence about a damned thing.

Statisticians usually define the "baby boom" generation as those born 1946-1964.

It's true that those born in the 1960s don't have much in common with those born in the 1940s, but they're lumped together, and so there one has it.

"Generation X" is defined as those born 1964-1980, although some statisticians DO expand it to 1961-1980; not many, however.

"Generation Y" is defined as those born since 1980.

It doesn't follow a set number of years; it follows trends in people having families.  A family in the 1940s was likely to have children into the early 1960s, but not beyond that.  (Maybe some, but not statistically important.)  Many of those born as late as 1964--not all, but many--were born of parents who started families in the late 1940s, early 1950s.

Baby Boom = 1946-1964.

And there's not a damned thing the primitives can do about it.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 08:22:26 PM »

Statisticians usually define the "baby boom" generation as those born 1946-1964.

It's true that those born in the 1960s don't have much in common with those born in the 1940s, but they're lumped together, and so there one has it.

"Generation X" is defined as those born 1964-1980, although some statisticians DO expand it to 1961-1980; not many, however.

It doesn't follow a set number of years; it follows trends in people having families.  A family in the 1940s was likely to have children into the early 1960s, but not beyond that.  (Maybe some, but not statistically important.)  Many of those born as late as 1964--not all, but many--were born of parents who started families in the late 1940s, early 1950s.

Baby Boom = 1946-1964.

I thought they were calling those born between 1980 and 2000 the "Millennials"?
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 08:24:01 PM »

I thought they were calling those born between 1980 and 2000 the "Millennials"?

They might be; a second definition of "Generation Y".
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 08:27:20 PM »
They might be; a second definition of "Generation Y".

That maybe.  There's an interesting series of 3 videos on Youtube from 60 Minutes (I don't have youtube access at work, so I cannot post the link) discussing Millennials in the Workplace.
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 08:52:35 PM »
Well, I for one, am glad they started talking about "real" issues again.  :whatever:
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Vagabond

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 09:21:23 PM »
I'm a Gen Xer, born in 1976.  These late millenials or whatever you call them are weak.  I was working with a couple of them, I wound up as the supervisor, crawling around on crates 15 feet in the air while they watched, unable to do the same.  They were 22 years old and still had baby fat.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 11:08:57 PM by Vagabond »

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2008, 09:37:37 PM »

Baby Boom = 1946-1964.

Obviously, just like me, the majority of statisticians are obsessed with palindromes.  And one cannot have palindromes without Palin. 

Ok, so non-sequitar.  I'm obsessed with those too.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2008, 09:41:30 PM »
I'm a Generation Burns. FTW.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2008, 07:46:26 AM »
DUmmies don`t fit in any generation because that presumes at some point one reaches adulthood.

No matter what their chronological age,they never mature emotionally past early childhood.

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2008, 09:36:57 AM »
DUmmies don`t fit in any generation because that presumes at some point one reaches adulthood.

No matter what their chronological age,they never mature emotionally past early childhood.

There ya go , right on  :cheersmate:

Anyway, WHY are they even talking about this minutia?? What is the significance of the classification that Obama was born in?

Is this maybe just one aspect of him that they didn't obsess about during the election?

Maybe eventually they will get to discussing how he came from the southside of Chicago and got into Columbia University.
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2008, 10:07:21 AM »
There ya go , right on  :cheersmate:

Anyway, WHY are they even talking about this minutia?? What is the significance of the classification that Obama was born in?

Is this maybe just one aspect of him that they didn't obsess about during the election?

Maybe eventually they will get to discussing how he came from the southside of Chicago and got into Columbia University.

It is hard to say LL but my guess is that being such shallow,live for the moment,what`s in it for me creatures that they are somehow they hope to "bond" with their saviour.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2008, 05:30:34 PM »
Obviously, just like me, the majority of statisticians are obsessed with palindromes.  And one cannot have palindromes without Palin.

H5.  I find that pretty funny.  (I'm probably the only one.)
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2008, 03:37:45 PM »
um, Obama is three years older than me.. and I am most certainly not Generation X.

I am the tail end of the Baby Boomers, proud to say. Obama is as well. but I understand the DUers mindset to 'reframe' everything and their passing glance at sanity, even in their 'win'..

Offline Lauri

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2008, 03:40:14 PM »
Actually, I'm thinking he is the first president to go out of his way to piss off everybody before he even takes office.  So far, he hinted to his cultists that they might have to work, and not only work but work hard.  One gets the feeling they really aren't about work.  Then he bad-mouthed Nancy Reagan, which will have the nice effect of pissing off conservatives, women, and the old all at the same time.  Not to mention the stock market (business sector) doesn't seem to like him.

well, with the gays rioting in California and Melissa Ethridge promising not to pay her half million in taxes next year.. as well as encouraging all those all gay people in Hollywood not to pay theirs, i think O has a little rebellion he has to crush right away..

sucks to be him cause, well, all those people voted for him..  :-) :popcorn: