Author Topic: Democratic Leadership -- Lucy, Me -- Charlie Brown  (Read 1528 times)

Offline Lord Undies

Democratic Leadership -- Lucy, Me -- Charlie Brown
« on: January 25, 2008, 11:19:51 AM »
The telecommunication industry's immunity from moonbat prosecution has triggered a sad disconnect on the Island of Skins -

travelingtypist (94 posts)        Fri Jan-25-08 11:20 AM
Original message
Democratic Leadership -- Lucy, Me -- Charlie Brown
   This latest story about Reid forcing Dodd to do a genuine
filibuster rather than the fake republican kind is just
the latest in a series where I feel like I've been kicked
in the gut by my own party.

They always pull the football away right when I'm getting
ready to kick it. Reid and Pelosi, the Democrat Congress
-- yes, I'm using the epithet.

I'm so tired of feeling it, of being surprised when they
cave and give the Giggling Killer exactly what he wants.
He stamps his foot and they cave and I feel betrayed and I'm
so ****ing sick of it. And I don't know what to do about
it. I wish I knew why, other than the Democrats being
craven cowards or Uncle Karl having pictures of Nancy
doing naughty things with someone not her husband.

Please make it stop.

ixion  (1000+ posts)         Fri Jan-25-08 11:25 AM
Response to Original message
1. you should stop being surprised
   because I seriously doubt they'll be growing a spine anytime soon.

travelingtypist (94 posts)        Fri Jan-25-08 11:30 AM
Response to Reply #1
3. That's my problem.
   I keep feeling that pain in the pit of my gut and I know better but I
just can't stop. Like CB keeps trying to kick the football.

ayeshahaqqiqa  (1000+ posts)         Fri Jan-25-08 11:25 AM
2. One way is to support every progressive
   that runs for Congress in the Democratic primary. If there are two Dems running, check the record/policies of the candidates and choose the one that is more progressive. And donate to the campaigns of those progressive Congresspeople! If, like me, you live in a hopelessly red district where you're even uncertain if someone on the Dem side will run, send money to other candidates, like this one:

http://www.kucinich.us

This will take you to a site where you can donate to Dennis Kucinich's Congressional race.

warren pease  (1000+ posts)         Fri Jan-25-08 11:45 AM
4. Complicity, corruption or cowardice...
   Doesn't really matter in the end. The results are the same. As progressives, I think all this means we have no horses in the race. Absent serious power and the money to buy it, our leverage is very limited.

So when I see Pelosi floating yet another excuse for the inexcusable, or Reid caving once again to the white house, or Hoyer trying to kill Kucinich's articles of impeachment, or Conyers burying HR 333 under a pile of paper, or Clinton parroting the business party line taught to her by the $90 million in corporate bribes she's taken since the first of the year...

You watch this stuff from the context you learned in civics class -- competing parties, different agendas, different constituencies -- and shake your head in disbelief. But you watch it with an eye toward complicity, corruption and/or cowardice and analyze their behavior from that perspective, and everything falls into place.

And this is why I detest this particular pack of compromised democratic "leaders" above all their predecessors. They're obvious collaborators; simple as that. As a party badly in need of credibility, they had nothing to lose and much to gain by impeaching, sitting on war funding bills, cutting BushCo off at the wallet, contesting every single thing the bastards pulled and then shouting their reasons at the top of their lungs.

Instead, we get telecom immunity, no accountability for any of BushCo's made men, near unanimous passage of every single domestic repression bill that slithers its way over from the white house, and a bottomless treasure chest of borrowed money to support BushCo's imperialist blood lust.

All this only makes sense if they're all in it together, if they're all members of the same exclusive club and if they've all been completely corrupted by corporate bribery. I suggest the evidence for that view is pretty strong. Like all great cons, you'll never be able to actually prove it. But what's been happening doesn't pass the smell test unless you expand the parameters of acceptable analysis.