Author Topic: Well, the snow has officially broken through the roof... I'm freaking out  (Read 1170 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100217692612

FirstLight (13,039 posts)

Well, the snow has officially broken through the roof... I'm freaking out

https://www.democraticunderground.com/10181784779

I just looked up to se a bubble in the kitchen ceiling. I poked it and it crumbled and there's some dripping, not a bunch of water...it's over the cabinets on the seam of the edge of the roof....Probably an Ice Dam on the not sunny side of the roof... fuuuuck. It's dripping, omfg...

As I sit here and try to figure out what the hell to do. I don't think Homeowner's Insurance will cover snow removal. I got a bid for $500 to shovel off the roof. The deductible is $2500, how does that work? Do I file a claim?

I've never handled this before. Parents usually helped with emergency stuff, but now mom is dead and dad is in memory care and my sister is in control of everything so she's not going to help... Our relationship is strained at best.

Living paycheck to paycheck, how the hell do I fix this?!?

I can't do a go fund me, can't get into my account.
If anyone can help my Paypal is @Journalgrrl701

Chin music (21,830 posts)

3. Don't fight the inevitable.

It's happening. Do everything you can to minimize the damage though. That's a ton of snow,...literally.
Do you rent or own?

4. I own ...

My parent's helped me buy it a few years ago. Since they have been in decline, I got everything in my name.

Called and got a claim started, but I literally can't do anything right now, except put a towel on top of the cabinets and pray it's not going to do anything horrible while we sleep...

Like I can sleep at all right now...omg my house is falling apart! *sobbing*

Sucha NastyWoman (2,547 posts)

15. Home warranties don't cover structural problems or problems related to weather

They cover mechanical items, plumbing and electrical.

High deductibles for homeowners insurance mean they are not much help for smaller losses, but I think your problems might end up exceeding your deductible. But the homeowner will have to figure out where the deductible comes from. I think it might be time to give the sister a chance to do the right thing.

WTF?!  It is the DUmmies own house.  She admitted that up thread.  HOW do you think the sister needs to "do the right thing"?  I can guarantee you if one of my brothers called me and demanded I fix his house, I would laugh my ass off.

The things DUmmies think someone else should be responsible for.  Damn.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Here's something else that's weird about this story.

22. Can't do anything till morning..

The roof rake sounds great but realize there's 7' on the ground everywhere...

I set my alarm to get up and make calls, but considering that everyone else is buried it's going to be hard to get someone to help.
I guess calling insurance in the morning is my first task and maybe they have contacts for me to call...

I'm alone and disabled and climbing up there isn't an option... Could barely get a path down the stairs earlier.
This is gonna be a long haul I guess

She claims she's alone, but up thread she said this.

4. I own ...

My parent's helped me buy it a few years ago. Since they have been in decline, I got everything in my name.
Called and got a claim started, but I literally can't do anything right now, except put a towel on top of the cabinets and pray it's not going to do anything horrible while we sleep...

Like I can sleep at all right now...omg my house is falling apart! *sobbing*

Is it all a show for the paypal ask??

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Patriot Guard Rider

• Yes, really. Liberals DO disgust me.

KC

Maybe there's a sheep involved somehow??
Liberals disgust me. (Now I don't have to remember to put it on each post).

Because only the left goes searching for that which is not there in a desperate attempt to be offended about something.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

Many people do not see evil until the gas is flowing into the chamber. That is why they get on the trains in the first place.

Online Old n Grumpy

The dumb ass can’t figure out how to put a bucket under the leak.  :thatsright: :loser:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline jukin

These DUmb, DUmb, DUMB, DUmmys are the ones that want to tell us how we should live?

**** off and die DUmbass. You are LITERALLY too stupid to live.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline CollectivismMustDie

• American
  • (D)Ummie nightmare.
If you're in a situation like the one described in the OP, and you have to be told that the snow needs to be removed from your roof...

You may be a DUmmy.
"Be not intimidated... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice." - John Adams

Hillary Clinton will never be the President of the United States.

Online DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
These DUmb, DUmb, DUMB, DUmmys are the ones that want to tell us how we should live?

**** off and die DUmbass. You are LITERALLY too stupid to live.

These are the weak and unfit to survive that Darwin warned us about.  :thatsright:

(Sad thing is that a few of these turds already have progeny.)
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline 67 Rover

KC

Cats
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
Shouldn't live in a trailer.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Online DefiantSix

• Captain, IKV Defiant
Shouldn't live in a trailer.

Well, they tried living in an '81 Skylark under an overpass, but the cops constantly rousting them meant they never got a decent night's sleep.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Online Old n Grumpy

Where do they have 7’ of snow?

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

Offline 67 Rover

Never mind that, Al Gore won a Nobel Prize for saying our children would never know what snow looked like in the year 2020.  Is it possible he was wrong?

Meh, it will be fire season soon enough.
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Maybe there's a sheep involved somehow??

Poor sheep.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline RuralNc

KS Toronado (12,398 posts)

14. I'm wondering if shooting the snow

with cold water from a garden hose with the right nozzle would get the snow to run off a roof.
You'd get a large iceberg on the ground when it refreezes.

This right here. Lurking DUmmys, this is solid advice. Do this... Highly recommended.  :p

Online DefiantSix

• Captain, IKV Defiant
This right here. Lurking DUmmys, this is solid advice. Do this... Highly recommended.  :p

If this DUmmy would do this and film this and post it on TikTok, I might just have to break my ABSOLUTELY no TikTok rule, just to watch it.

:popcorn:
-- Capt. John Parker

-- Capt. Steve Rogers

-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline RuralNc

If this DUmmy would do this and film this and post it on TikTok, I might just have to break my ABSOLUTELY no TikTok rule, just to watch it.

You aint kid'n.

Offline RuralNc

The GFM has officially started! That didnt take too long. And to clear up the confusion up above, she confirms here that she does have a roommate. Who is disabled as well. Im not sure how these people find each other. Assuming her roommate is a "people". Which with DUmmys, anything is possible. Her roommate could be a pine tree for all we know.

https://www.democraticunderground.com/10181785030

Finally got a GoFundMe set up... Tahoe SNOW Damage - Continued story

Here's a link showing the last 2 threads. The first thread has pics of the Snomageddon
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100217692612

I've called and emailed the Insurance adjuster this morning. Got someone coming by to look at the roof and give me an estimate of what snow removal will be...

https://www.gofundme.com/f/snow-damage-repairs-tahoe-winter-relief?utm_source=customer&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_campaign=p_cf+share-flow-1

If you prefer PayPal: @Journalgrrl701

I'm gonna take some more pics and post them, the amount of snow is freaking unbelievable! After living here 30 years I have never been this overwhelmed.

My roommate is selling everything they can on Craigslist to help. I get paid tomorrow but still have to account for "normal" bills and we're living paycheck to paycheck.

If you can help I am eternally grateful...If not, please copy and share the link at least. Any help, even $10-20 is going to make this easier.
My folks helped me buy this place in 2017, and have always been the ones to help in these situations. Mom passed last year and Dad is in memory care and my sister has all the control now and our relationship is strained at best. I gotta figure this one out on my own.

Thank you DU peeps for always being there for me, you've helped me through grief of parental loss, teen angst and so much more. I look forward to paying it forward

Online DefiantSix

• Captain, IKV Defiant
Has anybody seen Matt duBois since this thread started? Would hate for him to think that his territory was being encroached upon...

-- Capt. John Parker

-- Capt. Steve Rogers

-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline BamaMoose

She's just an older version of mvd who has done a better job of draining her parent's savings.  About the house she "owns":

FirstLight (13,054 posts)

My Mom is in the Hospital ...

Apparently, my folks went to the local Medical Center to get labs done for Dad. When he came out, she was gone... they found her walking down the freaking Highway!

So now they are running tests, and obviously no visitors due to COVID. Also, we are in a surge area, so that means less staff...so I am sure the admitting and testing process is gonna be way longer. (I am guessing my mom is not a happy camper right now... I wish I could hold her hand.)
And I also worry that just being in the Hospital will expose her to COVID

Both parents have had strokes that affect cognitive abilities. Mom has been worse than Dad for a year now, and she was usually the one taking care of Dad, etc. Older sister is not a "friend" and has been actively lobbying for taking over, and also trying to get my folks to sell my house out from under me... (They helped me buy it 5 years ago, but I have never been able to take on the payments. Family has a few properties, and all of this is in a Family Trust, but I dont have a copy and she has been taking control slowly but surely...) So talking with her about all this is by text and only details of the hospital stuff. I said something about the house situation earlier this week and she ignored it.

Anyway....I am thinking I will go down to be with my Dad this afternoon/evening... maybe stay over. Make dinner, Bring the dog for cuddles, etc.
I have been the one being more of the comforter, emotional support for them through this stuff. I remember stories from us as kids and life as a family and they get a lot out of that. I guess we all have our ways of supporting and coping...

Though I am not looking forward to dealing with my sister, I can still show up and try to help. I can't let her make me feel like I shouldn't.

About the kids she takes care of all on her own:

29. oh ****ety **** ****... mom's home, sis actually called me as she was picking up prescriptions...

you know it amazes me how we can be civil and talk easily when we try.

lots of $$ stuff I dodnt even knnow about, she and I are having a family meeting next week.

It's all happening so fast

..and the teens are living in the cabin (our old house across town my dad built in '63) it has major work that needs to be done. My folks have been eating the utilitiy payments...even when my kid tries to pay retn they give it back...
But sis said the property tax is due and $$ in utilities arent being paid cuz dad has no idea.

oh lord, I might be moving whether I like it or not

So she lives in a house provided by her parents.  Her kids live in a different house owned by her parents.  Her sister is trying to get their end-of-life finances in order and FirstLight's only concern is that she may get cut off from the gravy train.  Of course, she has a plan to improve her situation:

13. I have no idea of anything legally...got a call in to a Family Law person last week...

She's at an advantage because she's also not living on unemployment scraps.

She's also being a total bitch vis text right now...Only giving me one word answers, making me ask which hospital it is, etc.
When I told her I had left my info with the ER she got pissy and said she already did that and it should be one point of contact. I told her there's no reason I can't ask to talk to her.

ohhh this is NOT a fun ride... I need some sage and a joint!

Sue your parent's for their money.  And stay stoned in the meantime.

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100214688738

But, she does have a realistic exit strategy:

Star Member FirstLight (13,056 posts)

Anybody ever transition from a house to Rv living?

Time's up.

My teens have moved out and the house is gonna go on the market in the spring, family decision*, not my choice... but now I am looking around and seeing a ton of STUFF.

So I'm thinking about spending the winter "downsizing"

sell, trash, storage... everything must go, right?

dont know how to transition this life... never even traveled before...like, at ALL. I've been parenting my kids my entire life and now....? IDK
I was settling in to the idea of having an extra room as an office, now all I can do is think "I gotta start packing"

It's fine...I'll just see it as an adventure...

* Family, meaning my older sister.... and while my family has several properties in a family trust...my sister has convinced my stroke-addled parents that MY house is the biggest problem for the "family" She's angling to take over legally and has not spoken to me about ANY of this.
(she seems to think I am gonna move back in with my parent and be their "nurse" because I have nothing else better to do, right?)

Note that when she says the kids moved out, they moved into a different house owned by her father.  And the idea of taking care of her parents, who she completely relies on for everything, is beneath her.  Because she has better things to do.  But she also has the old DU fallback position:

FirstLight (13,056 posts)

27. I got no credit and have been unemployed since last fall :(

Trying to work out some form of disability so I can have some kind of income.

I'm just screwed.

https://www.democraticunderground.com/10181437860

And for those wondering, she's had multiple GoFundMe's in the past.  She mad because her sister is not allowing her to treat her father like an ATM.

Offline DUmpDiver

The GFM is "Tahoe SNOW Damage."

So the DUmmy lives in a structure in TAHOE that can't deal handle snow?  WTF? :mental:

For those unfamiliar of you with the Tahoe area it get boatloads of white global warming every year.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
She's just an older version of mvd who has done a better job of draining her parent's savings.  About the house she "owns":

About the kids she takes care of all on her own:

So she lives in a house provided by her parents.  Her kids live in a different house owned by her parents.  Her sister is trying to get their end-of-life finances in order and FirstLight's only concern is that she may get cut off from the gravy train.  Of course, she has a plan to improve her situation:

Sue your parent's for their money.  And stay stoned in the meantime.

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100214688738

But, she does have a realistic exit strategy:

Note that when she says the kids moved out, they moved into a different house owned by her father.  And the idea of taking care of her parents, who she completely relies on for everything, is beneath her.  Because she has better things to do.  But she also has the old DU fallback position:

https://www.democraticunderground.com/10181437860

And for those wondering, she's had multiple GoFundMe's in the past.  She mad because her sister is not allowing her to treat her father like an ATM.

Good find!  I don’t recall having ever seen this particular DUmmie before so all the back story is a help.

KC

*Stolen

Offline 67 Rover

They helped me buy it 5 years ago, but I have never been able to take on the payments.

I don't know who is worse the parents or this grifter.
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member

Offline Dblhaul

Sierra Nevadas, Lake Tahoe area.
If this idiot would have done some preventive maintenance it wouldn't be in this situation.   

Offline jukin

Sierra Nevadas, Lake Tahoe area.
If this idiot would have done some preventive maintenance it wouldn't be in this situation.

Shouldn't someone else have done that for the DUchebag DUmmy? I mean come on man!
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Online Old n Grumpy

[quote ohhh this is NOT a fun ride... I need some sage and a joint!][/quote]

:stoner: So getting stoned and burning some spice is her solution. It sounds like she did a great job raising her kids if they are useless mooches to.  :thatsright: :mental: :bird: :mental: :mental: :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser: