Author Topic: An Open Letter to Bill Maher, re your closing remarks on October 22, 2021.  (Read 404 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Star Member NanceGreggs (26,476 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215975388

I Must Take Issue ...
An Open Letter to Bill Maher, re your closing remarks on October 22, 2021.

You said: "If we want to halt this descent into civil war, we have to stop hating each other." And from there, your editorial devolved into bothsiderism.

On a daily basis, we are confronted with news stories about anti-maskers/anti-vaxxers threatening mask-wearing school children. When was the last time you saw pro-maskers/pro-vaccine citizens verbally assaulting children on their way to school, screaming that their own parents were trying to kill them?

We have heard the Trump-humpers threatening the lives of elected Democrats, along with threatening the lives of their families. What we haven't heard is Democrats threatening the lives of Republicans and/or their families.

To preach that everyone should take the hate-mongering down a notch is to ignore the fact that the hatred - and the calls for violence - are only coming from one side.

Do some Democrats actually hate Trump-supporting Republicans? I'm sure many do - the difference being that those Democrats are not advocating taking up arms and actually killing Republicans in order to achieve their goals.

You started the segment with a Tweet from Marjorie Taylor Green asking the question: Should America have a national divorce?

You then went on to cite that 66% of southern Republicans are in favour of seceding from the US to join a "new Confederacy", while 41% of Biden supporters "support splitting up the US." Does it not occur to you that a "new Confederacy" is simply a resurgence of the "old Confederacy" - complete with separate drinking fountains and separate laws for whites and blacks? Are you really that naive?

As for Biden supporters who fantasize about splitting up the US, do you not realize that there are people who dream about being part of a country where they are free of pandemic lockdowns because intelligent people are vaccinated, and a deadly disease isn't being spread by ignorant, low-info voters who believe that Covid-19 is a hoax and the 2020 election was stolen by Italian drones and thermostats manufactured in China?

Who hasn't dreamed about being part of a nation where conspiracy-promoting whack-jobs like Marjorie Taylor Greene would never be elected to any office?

Above all, do you not understand that your bothsiderism rhetoric is actually feeding the idea that both sides have an equal responsibility to ratchet down the hatred that is actually only coming from one side?

I have been a Bill Maher fan for years. I've seen you live, and have admired your wit and style for decades. But when you promote the idea that people who threaten the lives of their political opponents are somehow on the same footing with those who DON'T, you've lost me.

If you truly believe that American citizens need to "stop hating each other", you should start by pointing out who is doing the hating, and are more than proud to do so.

:thatsright:

Funtatlaguy (9,223 posts)

1. So true, Nancy. Bill often goes way overboard trying to

show his Libertarian bonafides and loving to “call out” liberals in this issue or that one.
It can be tedious.

Star Member Skittles (138,199 posts)

2. EXCELLENT READ

you know it, Nance - I am very tired of being told "both sides need to cool it" - ONLY ONE SIDE IS TRYING TO OVERTHROW OUR GOVERNMENT

ck4829 (30,686 posts)

4. K&R. If you want to "halt this descent into civil war", THIS is what you do

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_stages_of_genocide

"Stop hating each other" doesn't address these core problems, but these do...

"The main preventive measure at this early stage is to develop universalistic institutions that transcend... divisions."
- Republicans need to come out and declare that the (their) President is not selected by God. We need a public declaration there is no Divine Right of Republican Presidents.
- Stop quoting fake news like Breitbart and the Gateway Pundit

"Pass and enforce laws prohibiting discrimination. Full citizenship and voting rights for all groups."
- Maximize voting rights
- Have a pathway to citizenship for ANYONE in the United States

"Prevention may mean security protection for moderate leaders or assistance to human rights groups...Coups d’état by extremists should be opposed by international sanctions."
- Get the Flynn clan and anyone who supports them or thinks like them booted from the military. Get the Oath Keepers, 3 percenters, alt-right, etc. out of law enforcement and the military.

:mental:

Star Member multigraincracker (24,791 posts)

13. How come he doesn't try the same tactic with the question of religion, see his movie Religulous.

I'm an Atheist and I try to give my believer friends a break all of the time.

I can't remember his movie giving anyone that doesn't think like him any kind of a break.

I'm also looking for my first F*** trump bumper sticker that claims he is a Nazi. Perhaps they do exist in his world.

:whatever:

betsuni (17,789 posts)

15. I don't like it when people here call Republicans "rethugs" and the like.

Last edited Sat Oct 23, 2021, 07:56 AM - Edit history (1)

Don't be the enemy they need. The Obama way.

Also the usual Maher hate. He a comedian. He's not telling anyone what to think. Listening to him and others won't turn you into a monster or a Republican.

Star Member smirkymonkey (61,168 posts)

20. K&R

That totally pissed me off last night.

:whatever:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Nance is on an irony roll lately. She decries hate, and then goes on to tell lies about those she politically opposes, which is a form of hate. She also doesn’t recognize what she’s doing, or does and doesn’t care, which is another form of hate.

Besides, we’ve documented post after post after post of DUers wanting to eliminate or lock away those with whom they disagree under the guise of “they’re criminals”. They’ve called for violence against those of us at this site and to conservatives in general.  The summer of 2020 was one giant act of violence against American institutions by BLM and antifa. Once again, the drunken Nan’s words ring hollow.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
An open letter to Drunken Aunt Nance:

Put down the Canadian Mist and sober up.

Signed:

Society
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline thundley4

On a daily basis, we are confronted with news stories about anti-maskers/anti-vaxxers threatening mask-wearing school children.

I stopped reading right there. The only threats towards any children I have seen all have come from Democrats.

Offline ADsOutburst

On a daily basis, we are confronted with news stories about anti-maskers/anti-vaxxers threatening mask-wearing school children.
I stopped reading right there. The only threats towards any children I have seen all have come from Democrats.

At this point, what can you even say to a person who thinks reality is what they see in the news?

Offline Old n Grumpy

What we haven't heard is Democrats threatening the lives of Republicans and/or their families.

No they just shoot them or swarm them to beat them up or shout them down. And don't forget following them into bathrooms or how about the monkey masked chick throwing eggs ad a black candidate.
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline DUmpDiver

I'm pretty sure that Bill Maher doesn't spend his free time reading Nance Gregg posts at The DUmp.

Offline SVPete

I'm pretty sure that Bill Maher doesn't spend his free time reading Nance Gregg posts at The DUmp.

Her letter might find its way into a comedy bit by Maher.

Speaking more broadly, DUpipo like NanceGreggs think media people belong to them, and it POs DUpipo when media people don't toe the Dem party line of the day.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.