Author Topic: I have a question for all of the US Veterans  (Read 231 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
I have a question for all of the US Veterans
« on: October 21, 2021, 05:52:22 PM »
Star Member RFCalifornia (188 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215970005

I have a question for all of the US Veterans

I sell to a number of customers and and have previously sold to State and Federal agencies

At one point I was selling to the the Coast Guard but after 9/11 they required me to get a clearance, which I didn't want to do (too much of a fan of 420, and there were better accounts to have that didn't require it)

Anywho, around November/December, the Coast Guard would go on a serious buying spree. They told me their budget would be shrunk if they didn't use it all. So we sold product at list price, and they didn't care.

Is this one of the reasons why our military budget is so bloated?

Is this why the military buys equipment they didn't even ask for?

:thatsright:

For one thing, the fiscal calendar ends on Oct 1, not Jan 1. Thus, they wouldn't';t be rushing to finish out thier spending during the 1st quarter of the fiscal year.

Second, selling what?

:whatever:

sl8 (8,236 posts)

1. I heard similar when I was active duty, but it was shortly before the end of the fiscal year.

The fiscal year ended on September 30.

:lol:

Star Member maxrandb (12,165 posts)

3. OMN Appropriations must be spent, or obligated during the fiscal year

Other types of appropriations have different, or open ended expiration dates.

For OMN funding, it is true that it must be obligated by 30 September of the fiscal year it was appropriated for.

It's not so much that failure to spend it will reduce the next years appropriations, but here is what happens.

Certain programs are unable to obligate the funds they've been allocated. This could be due to change in operations, contracts that can't be awarded by 30 September, or a whole host of other reasons.

At the same time, other programs have expended funds, and still have valid needs they can fund.

What we used to do, is, starting around August, we would start gathering funds that some programs hadn't spent, and giving it to programs that had valid needs.

What probably happened in your case is that the Coast Guard program you were working with was suddenly given some additional funds to spend.

:whatever:

retread (3,604 posts)

5. This isn't confined to the military. At least in the large companies I worked for there was always a

rush to spend allocated money and complete projects management had drug their feet on through the year.

:yawn:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!