Author Topic: Greg Abbott Says Fleeing Texas Democrats 'Will Be Arrested' When They Return to  (Read 606 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215618369

This is a fun thread!  LOL

Laura PourMeADrink (36,024 posts)

Greg Abbott Says Fleeing Texas Democrats 'Will Be Arrested' When They Return to State

https://www.newsweek.com/greg-abbott-fleeing-texas-democrats-will-arrested-return-state-1609070

Texas governor Greg Abbott said that Democratic lawmakers who have left the state can and "will be arrested" upon their return as he pushes ahead with changes in voting laws.

Abbott, a Republican, gave an interview to KVUE on Monday about the Democrats' decision to leave the state and whether the special session of the Texas legislature the governor called can go ahead.

Snip
KVUE asked Abbott if the Democratic walkout meant the voting bills - Senate Bill 1 and House Bill 3 - could not be passed and if he could do anything as governor to compel the lawmakers to return to the state.

Abbott said there "still remains plenty of time to pass not just the bills you mentioned but there's a lot of other bills on there."

More at link

Baltimike (3,398 posts)

1. send in the National Guard President Biden. nt

FBaggins (22,049 posts)

8. To do what?

The state constitution says that they can be compelled to return and arrest is explicitly in the rules for that.

What would the Guard do?

The only option here (apart from losing the vote) is for the democrats involved to stay out of the state (and thus beyond the jurisdiction of anyone with the power to arrest them).

Baltimike (3,398 posts)

15. Abbott is under federal investigation.

Let's investigate his motives here.

Uh, no he's not.

hadEnuf (855 posts)

34. Republicans will gleefully lock up all the Democrats any way they can.

And they are also solidly planning to take away certain American's right to vote.

Looking Trump-esque is the least of our worries.

Oh yeah?  Please come enlighten me on how they're doing that.  I'd love to be educated like you.

Evolve Dammit (5,996 posts)

6. Gettin' ugly. Democracy is under direct assault.

You're correct, but you don't know why.

Scalded Nun (863 posts)

10. Seems counter-productive. If they are all in jail how will the GOP get that elusive quorum?

I don't think they read the links .... is it just me?

forthemiddle (1,041 posts)

11. The won't be brought to jail

In the interview I saw he said they will be arrested, and brought to the Statehouse so the vote could be called.

Towlie (4,888 posts)

13. Eventually the GOP will simply stop recognizing all laws and rules, and just do whatever they want.

And Texas will probably be the first to do that. Then, if and when they succeed, the practice will spread across the red states.

Uhm ... you do understand why they can be arrested and forced to do their job, right?  It's because they (the democrats) are IGNORING THE LAWS AND RULES.  Just to be clear.

Trex666 (5 posts)

14. Well, then, they should never return to the state

So that the legislature can never operate again.

Oh no!!!!  Please don't let THAT happen!   :lmao:

Dustlawyer (9,863 posts)

18. We are watching in real time what happens when a formerly deep red state is turning blue.

The Repugs cannot bear to lose power so they are cheating. No telling how much graft and corruption would be uncovered if the Democrats take power after decades of Repug rule.

Uh, it's the democrats who are trying to cheat and they are going to be compelled to do their jobs.  Your username doesn't mean you're a lawyer, right?  Please God, I hope not.

Demnation (255 posts)

21. Just words. TX Gov has no authority to order the arrest of anyone, let alone members of government.

FBaggins (22,049 posts)

22. He doesn't have the authority to "order" them arrested... but he can say that they will be

Since the person who does have the authority to make the order has already said that it's coming - and the governor (in the person of state law enforcement) would be the one to carry it out.

Demnation (255 posts)

31. This is not correct.

FBaggins (22,049 posts)

33. There is now an arrest warrant ordering DPS to round them up.

So which part is not correct?

:lmao:

budkin (5,214 posts)

32. Do it, I DARE YOU

For real.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Fun stuff!

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
FBaggins (22,049 posts)

33. There is now an arrest warrant ordering DPS to round them up.

So which part is not correct?

orangecrush (11,694 posts)

38. Goodbye

Enough is enough.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!

OMG that is too funny!!  *Don't tell me the truth!!!  I don't wanna hear it, you loser!!!!*

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline ADsOutburst

Evolve Dammit (5,996 posts)

6. Gettin' ugly. Democracy is under direct assault.

Damn straight. So-called "democrats" are opposing the transparency and security measures that make truly democratic elections possible. Not to mention that they are opposing voter ID laws supported by a majority of people in this country.

And if that weren't enough, you have a poster on DU calling on Biden to send in the National Guard to do... something, because... reasons.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Remember that BaltiMike is the former LayDeeBug; a real  :mental: :mental: :mental:

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline SVPete

Remember that BaltiMike is the former LayDeeBug; a real  :mental: :mental: :mental:

« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 07:25:48 PM by SVPete »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Karin

"Biden, send in the National Guard!"   Is that the stupidest thing you'll read on the Internet all day?  And it's only 8:30. 

Oh and get this!  Another thread:

calimary (63,015 posts)

Is there any way to help the Texas Dems get by while they're out of state?
Any special campaigns or funds to help keep them fed and their hotel rooms covered?

Anybody know?

I'd like to chip in if there's some place to do it.

:lmao:  Fools  https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215617373

ActBlue has a fund set up. 

Every day we are away costs $10,000 for hotel and meals. Can you chip in $10 or more to support our fight against voter suppression?

Then the DUmmies start donating $25!  Or at least they say they are.

Calimary is acting like she has a personal stake in this.   
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 07:57:36 AM by Karin »

Offline 67 Rover

"Biden, send in the National Guard!"   Is that the stupidest thing you'll read on the Internet all day?  And it's only 8:30. 

Oh and get this!  Another thread:

:lmao:  Fools  https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215617373

ActBlue has a fund set up. 

Then the DUmmies start donating $25!  Or at least they say they are.

Calimary is acting like she has a personal stake in this.   

Hope they also set aside some $ bail as well.  :rofl:
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
And if I'm reading the news correctly (I had to skip through it this morning) the Texas Senate with the help of 4 democrats, has passed the bill and now it's just a matter of the house democrats to return.

:rofl:

This is a hoot.

KC

*Stolen

Offline DLR Pyro

calimary (63,015 posts)

Is there any way to help the Texas Dems get by while they're out of state?
Any special campaigns or funds to help keep them fed and their hotel rooms covered?

Anybody know?
I'm sure george soros is on it

I'm not familar with the Texas state Constitution but it would be awesome if Abbott had the power to end their terms as state legislatures if they don't return to work.  Do what President Reagan did to the striking Air Traffic Controllers in 1981.  Give them a hard deadline to return to the job they were elected for or be released from public service.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Old n Grumpy

Every day we are away costs $10,000 for hotel and meals.

Living large on OPM sons of bitches. they should get stuck with the bill or send it to the dnc. :thatsright:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline 67 Rover

I wonder if the TX Governor has the power to put them on the no fly list?  :-)
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline old dog 2

• pork eating infidel
What I'd like to know is why is Col. West challenging Abbot for Governor and why so many on the right think it is a grand idea?   Abbots doing a good job on the border, the virus and election reform.  A bloody primary could lead to ... Governor Beto.
Truly, whoever can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.  - Voltaire

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
What I'd like to know is why is Col. West challenging Abbot for Governor and why so many on the right think it is a grand idea?   Abbots doing a good job on the border, the virus and election reform.  A bloody primary could lead to ... Governor Beto.

Yeah, I’m not happy with this. I like West, but I’ll vote Abbott. He picked the wrong time to run.

KC

*Stolen