Author Topic: 'We all quit': Burger King sign goes viral as staff walks out  (Read 735 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215619462

I love these threads.  Only because of the industry I've been in most of my adult life.

multigraincracker (23,649 posts)

'We all quit': Burger King sign goes viral as staff walks out

A photo of a sign outside a Lincoln, Neb., Burger King has gone viral.

The sign, which reads “we all quit” and “sorry for the inconvenience,” was put up by disgruntled staff members trying to send a message to upper management.

The workers interviewed for the story stated that they had been working in a kitchen with no air conditioning for weeks, where temperatures sometimes got above 90 degrees.

ttps://www.marketwatch.com/story/we-all-quit-burger-king-sign-goes-viral-as-staff-walk-out-11626193439?cx_testId=22&cx_testVariant=cx_1&cx_artPos=1&mod=home-page-cx#cxrecs_s

I quit a job and walked out one time. Felt really good.

Ok, some of y'all know I work in an industry where we weld and we build tanks.  Tanks for the oil and gas industry, and it get's hot.  Really, really, hot.   Our lowest paid workers make $15/hour.  Highest close to $40/hour, almost always 10 hours of overtime per week, and 5-6 days of $100 per diem.  Good money.

LifeLongDemocratic (76 posts)

8. Slave Labor

This is the difference between slavery and the American worker. The American worker can leave anytime they want.

Wow.  Guess the slaves didn't have it so bad according to this DUmmie.

Simple question time ... from a DUmmie!

Sympthsical (1,412 posts)

11. Can I ask a question, out of genuine curiosity?

What is an acceptable amount of heat in a grill kitchen?

I worked at McD's as a teen for two years. Heat from the grill was a thing. I started as a cook/assembler, moved on to cashier and drive thru (where I had the best of times ****ing with people - in a friendly way).

But I remember it was never fun, particularly in the summer. You're anywhere near the grill, it sucked. We had ice water. But we'd also go "find" things in the walk-in freezer often. Sometimes it would take us ages to find that box of patties stacked neatly in clear sight. Where could it be?!

Again, I'm making no judgement.

But if you're in a hot kitchen, with grills and things, what amount of heat is considered average/acceptable?

This article says 90 degrees is too much. I mean, it definitely seemed at least that back when I was doing things. Is this considered too much, too far?

Again, genuinely asking.

They can NEVER answer these types of questions!  How much is too much wealth?  What is a living wage?  If we give everyone a house, how big should it be?  LOL

leftstreet (32,744 posts)

14. Probably not acceptable with the technology of air conditioning

If restaurants can cool their serving areas, they can cool their kitchens.

Yes, the electric bill would be higher

16. But grills throw off crazy heat

That's why I'm asking. Even with AC. I mean, the customer eating areas were very cool. But the kitchen? It was always hell.

Is it expected to be a certain temp?

I know people are cheering this, but what was expected? Because, again, the article says 90 degrees. Is that not ok around a grill? I've worked around a grill. That seemed . . . about what you'd expect around a grill.

Is it supposed to be better?

leftstreet (32,744 posts)

21. fast movement and exertion in 90 degrees

feels much, much hotter

Yes, grills get hot. So do stoves and ovens, but a 90 degree home kitchen probably wouldn't be acceptable to most people. They'd turn on their ac.

30. Well, right, in the home

It's summer here. In the 90s regularly. When I cook dinner, I'm around the hot stove, oven, using hot water, etc. I definitely throw on a few fans after. (It's a dry heat here, so this is tenable). If it gets in triple digits, the AC is going on 78. We try to be frugal.

I'm just really trying to understand this story. "The kitchen is 90 degrees." Ok. I worked at McD's for two years. Being around the grill sucked. But did it especially suck in some way? Or did being around a hot grill just suck? Because being around a hot grill in the summer just sucks in general, AC or no. That's kind of the job.

I'm trying to understand this story and why people are cheering it. Was something especially bad here?

:popcorn:

Kingofalldems (33,924 posts)

28. You cannot be serious.

31. I worked in this environment for two years

So, yes, I'm being serious.

Did you work around a hot grill for two summers? Or are you just internet commenting?

Kingofalldems (33,924 posts)

32. Actually 3 and then KP in the army.

Fans were provided.

As a Democrat I stand with the workers. Not sure why you don't seem to support them.

But, how hot is too hot?  If you can't answer that just say so.  Don't be afraid.

33. That's what I'm asking

This article is incredibly short on details. Did they ask for big fans to be brought in and management denied them?

The article doesn't say. It just says, "90 degrees or higher." Which, isn't unusual for a hot grill job.

If they asked for fans, and management said, "No, eff you," I'd get this article.

Alos, @@ about not being with workers. Union now. Union forever. So, @@ to you.

Major Nikon (35,499 posts)

19. I worked in quite a few kitchens when I was in high school

I quit one job because the heat in the kitchen was unbearable. Some are worse than others and some are still worse depending on how close you are to ovens and grills.

The other piece of this is I'm assuming the employees are working for either minimum wage or close to it, which by comparison is effectively much less than people made at these jobs 30-40 years ago. It's not as if these people are well compensated for what they are having to endure.

So?  I'll hire them as unskilled tradesmen and pay them $15/hour.  I lost several of those when the federal government decided to give them an extra $15/hour to sit on their ass.  Don't believe me?  I can prove it.  Not just $15/hour lost, but all the way up to $19/hour, but y'all don't believe that.

20. I'm not questioning that

Fast food workers are underpaid, period.

But people seem outraged about the temperatures.

And my initial reaction to that is, what temperature did you think it was back there? Feels a little classist. "Grills are hot?!" I mean, yeah. It sucked. It's why I went to college. I didn't want to do that all my life. And I feel awful for those who still do and want them paid a lot better.

But this, "It's 90 degrees in a hot kitchen?!" That outrage seems like people who never had to work in those lower jobs.

I'm not sure I'm articulating well what I'm digging at.

hunter (33,271 posts)

12. I've quit several jobs in a similar fashion.

Mostly when I was young, single, and willing to live rough.

For example, once upon a time, I worked for a student housing slum lord who'd only rent his best apartment buildings to women on the theory they caused less damage than males. Which was probably true. He could also rent women-only apartments at a small premium.

One Friday afternoon the water heater in one of those women only buildings burst and he sent me out to shut it off and to knock on doors to tell tenants their hot water wouldn't be back on until Monday late afternoon.

I immediately asked him like "Why Monday?" thinking he would buy a new water heater within an hour and I would install it.

No, he apparently had some connections who could get him a new water heater for free, with free installation, but not on weekends.

Fortunately I landed better work a few weeks later.

True story, truncated.  I had a renter several years ago whose water heater was going out for 2 weeks but he 'kept forgetting to tell me' until his water heater went out ... on a holiday weekend at 4 in the afternoon.  I told him I would have someone out on Tuesday after the holiday to put a new one in and we argued for an extended period of time with me telling him if it was MY house I wouldn't pay weekend, holiday rates for my OWN house.  He could take cold showers or go without.  It wasn't my fault he didn't tell me until it went out.  Finally I agreed to have the water heater installed as long as he was willing to pay the overage from regular hours and pricing to overtime, weekend, pricing.  He declined and actually lived to tell the tale!

mac2766 (632 posts)

29. More! We need to see so much more of this!

People need to stick up to the wealthy bullies.

I made $3.35 when I was 16. That would have been 1980-81. Adjusting for inflation (see link below), that would be $11.05 in todays dollars. One other thing to consider... I was treated pretty reasonably by my bosses.

https://www.in2013dollars.com/us/inflation/1980?amount=3.35

The only reason you think these people are being treated poorly is because that's what they are telling you and it's backed by the media.  I can just about guarantee they aren't treated any worse than you or I were 'back in the day', but they are all special now, because you told them they were.  Oh well.

Lots of fun!

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Old n Grumpy

Re: 'We all quit': Burger King sign goes viral as staff walks out
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 05:28:49 PM »
What if you live in Arizona where it can be 110 or more outside, or even in Florida? I work outside when it 's over 95.

They need to get a job in an ice factory, then they would piss and moan it's too cold.

Or even better get some education or useful skills and get a REAL JOB!!
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 05:44:24 PM »
It's been a while since I've been to a burger King, but I remember they had a conveyor belt char broiler that cooked the burgers.  Put the uncooked  burger in at one end and a cooked burger comes out the other end without anyone slaving over a hot grill.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2021, 05:49:27 PM »
It's been a while since I've been to a burger King, but I remember they had a conveyor belt char broiler that cooked the burgers.  Put the uncooked  burger in at one end and a cooked burger comes out the other end without anyone slaving over a hot grill.

I'm guessing none of them played outside as kids.  I played outside in scorching heat and never got paid a DIME!!!  Bastards.  Been to Disney World a few times in the summer too.  Mexico, Belize, Honduras, Jamaica, Cayman Islands ... nothing.  They didn't have A/C in most of the places I drank cold beer or ate, no A/C on the beach or the dive boats I was on.  NOTHING!  Bastards, all of them.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Delmar

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2021, 06:45:03 PM »
Slaving over a grill in 90 degree heat would be unpleasant but the workers probably didn't complain until they were forced to double mask to prevent the spread of the deadly China virus.
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Online DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2021, 07:45:06 PM »
As someone who has designed climate controls for a living, the OP story of the "workers'" plight stinks to high heaven.

If the air handlers couldn't handle the high ambient temperatures of a commercial kitchen , the waaay over-sized Make-Up Air unit was designed to kick in and make up the difference. If the conditions they discribe were actually obtained, both municipal building code enforcement AND the health department would be tripping over themselves to write citations for the errant owner to pay, in addition to shutting the store down until s/h/it got it fixed.

You telling me that none of these minimum wage/minimum skills "workers" thought to drop a dime on an "unsafe working condition"? Sorry; I may have been born in the morning, but it wasn't THIS MORNING.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline FunkyZero

• ha ha, charade you are
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2021, 08:32:16 PM »
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215619462

I love these threads.  Only because of the industry I've been in most of my adult life.

This one kinda cracks me up too.
If a single one of them had to actually work...   They wouldn't last half an hour baling hay. And I never even got paid at all for it, it just chores man. And God help ya when you had to work in a loft stacking the stuff; the word brutal doesn't do it justice.
I worked in the same field as you for about 11-2 years, was a fitter, and sometimes a welder on green print government jobs. Full leather upper and sleeves/gloves... and chaps, high steel toe boots with tarcel, a hat and hood on your head all day in a shop that got well over 100 degrees during the summer on the bad days... and there were a lot of guy in there with me doing the same. And yea, we bitched and moaned about it sometimes, but we still did it.
Dumpasses wouldn't know real work if it bit them on the di**

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2021, 08:37:13 PM »
Slaving over a grill in 90 degree heat would be unpleasant but the workers probably didn't complain until they were forced to double mask to prevent the spread of the deadly China virus.

And as long as you mentioned China, "My Little Brony James" and Nike have no problem with the Chinese slaves running factories in Uyghur.  But oh these poor college grads with worthless degrees having to suffer through heat and "only" making $10-15/per hour.  :sosad: :sosad: :sosad:
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline DUmpsterDiver

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2021, 10:00:07 PM »
These woke morons were the first ones to evacuate the dining room when we wise closers used bleach and ammonia to mop their sitting area after hours.   They got woke and left...while we workers waited in the kitchen loading empty whipped cream cells with unlimited NO2 until they be gone... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC7BPRyzAME

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2021, 06:37:02 AM »
These woke morons were the first ones to evacuate the dining room when we wise closers used bleach and ammonia to mop their sitting area after hours.   They got woke and left...while we workers waited in the kitchen loading empty whipped cream cells with unlimited NO2 until they be gone... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC7BPRyzAME

:???:  :o :o :o :o Chlorine gas attack.
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline Karin

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2021, 07:27:07 AM »
And they always bemoan how underpaid these guys are.  Our local joints are advertising $14.75 an hour.  A quarter pounder meal deal is now $10.89 before tax.  I skip all this nonsense. 

Offline FunkyZero

• ha ha, charade you are
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2021, 07:51:29 AM »
And they always bemoan how underpaid these guys are.  Our local joints are advertising $14.75 an hour.  A quarter pounder meal deal is now $10.89 before tax.  I skip all this nonsense.

While I do at least agree that working in a 90 degree kitchen all day would totally suck, it's just amusing to watch the DUmp monkeys screech about how this must be some sort of human rights violation.
As a side note and speaking from the perspective of a former fat guy, I'm also having trouble caring much about fast food joints since I had to swear them off several years back.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2021, 08:46:26 AM »
Unpleasant, obviously, but unhealthy? I will guaran-damn-tee many/most DUmmies have eaten some veggie or fruit picked in similar or hotter temps, in full sun, within the past year, and probably within the past few weeks.

A gallon of ice water (as it started out in the morning) is about right for a full day shift in 90-100 heat and full sun. BTDT, wore out the T-shirt.

My guess is that the back-story not included by DUmmies is that A/C service people were temporarily overwhelmed by the many business and residential A/C failures during the recent heatwave, and this BK was going to get service in a week or two.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2021, 09:17:36 AM »
Unpleasant, obviously, but unhealthy? I will guaran-damn-tee many/most DUmmies have eaten some veggie or fruit picked in similar or hotter temps, in full sun, within the past year, and probably within the past few weeks.

A gallon of ice water (as it started out in the morning) is about right for a full day shift in 90-100 heat and full sun. BTDT, wore out the T-shirt.

My guess is that the back-story not included by DUmmies is that A/C service people were temporarily overwhelmed by the many business and residential A/C failures during the recent heatwave, and this BK was going to get service in a week or two.

Roofers and pavement people should only work in the fall I guess.  ::)
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline SVPete

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2021, 10:00:15 AM »
Roofers and pavement people should only work in the fall I guess.  ::)

Not to mention the HVAC people who would repair the BK's A/C.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline old dog 2

• pork eating infidel
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2021, 04:40:22 PM »
Above 90 degrees!  We call that a cool day in the high desert.
Truly, whoever can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.  - Voltaire