Author Topic: Evidently the only dollars that belong in space are tax dollars (+ Will Pitt)  (Read 633 times)

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
Star Member jalan48 (11,883 posts)

Billionaire Tax Cheat Travels to Space for a Few Minutes [View all]
It isn’t often that we see a New York Times paragraph so freighted with syrup and honeyed goo, but there it was on Sunday afternoon, like something you’d order at IHOP to beat back a hangover: “Soaring more than 50 miles into the hot, glaringly bright skies above New Mexico, Richard Branson at last fulfilled a dream that took decades to realize: He can now call himself an astronaut.”

Better lede: “Fulfilling his desire to beat a fellow billionaire into the lowest verge of space, notorious tax cheat Richard Branson burned some of the money he owes his home country in order to fling himself past the troposphere so he could experience weightlessness for as much time as it takes to make a decent bowel movement. An achievement that will go down in corporate history, Branson now holds bragging rights over the guy whose monopolies are eating the economy alive.”

Space travel used to be about “us,” a collective effort by the country to reach beyond previously unreachable limits. That was the Cold War propaganda, anyway, and it had an unavoidable allure. Now, it’s about “them,” the 0.1 percent who hide their fortunes and use those revenues to give their egos a televised tongue-bath in zero-g, followed by a gala event suffused with celebrities. Space exploration is now a plaything for those who already exist in an alien atmosphere. I’m pretty sure Chuck Yeager would not be impressed.

William Rivers Pitt

The DUmp rage at a private citizen visiting the edge of space is a curious thing, but I think I have it figured out.

Whenever the slightest mention is made of NASA, or some other government or university-funded space research center, they get all doe-eyed. Space exploration mixes two of their favorite things, after all: spending vast amounts of public dollars, and getting not much to show for it. Somehow, some way, and despite the inconvenient truth that most of space programs have been bid out to the private sector, DUmmies and liberals demand that NOTHING happen in space without the government being in charge of it somehow.

Myself, I could not care less whether Branson went to space, or Branson went to Branson and had fried chicken.

Anywho, this is our periodic reminder that Will Pitt still exists, MANY business hours after we murdered Andy.

NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

a certain percentage of DU is depressed and has other mental issues.

Offline BamaMoose

The whole discussion reminds me of the angst experienced when Naval Shipyards were shutdown during BRACs in the 70's and 80's. Costs in the Navy Yards were 30 to 40 percent higher for similar work at private yards, took more time, experienced more delays and relied on private firms to do the more specialized work.  The press keep parroting that this impacted our military readiness, while ignoring the fact that very few ships were actually built at Navy Shipyards and the majority of new construction, maintenance and repairs were performed by private corporations.  Closing the Navy Shipyards just streamlined the workflow between the Navy Area Commands and the people who actually did the work.   NASA is one of the few organizations where public-private ventures have actually been successful, however, NASA, as it exists today, primarily coordinates efforts by multiple private entities to further space exploration.  Certainly the scientists at NASA add value to the discussion, but at the end of the day the private sector is leading in the push to expand our understanding of outer space.

And people keep saying that Branson's flight didn't break any new barriers, which is true.  But any time you push engineering boundaries, you open the door to new knowledge.

But, you wouldn't expect an alcoholic 2nd-rate writer raging from his mother's basement to appreciate how technological advances are actually achieved.

Offline SVPete

"Billionaire Tax Cheat"

While Branson was convicted and jailed for tax evasion in 1971, he was probably not even a millionaire at that time, let alone a billionaire. Since then, no convictions and no prosecutions, just whining that Branson minimizes his taxes by how he structures and locates his business ventures.

Not that facts matter to WRP.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
"Billionaire Tax Cheat"

While Branson was convicted and jailed for tax evasion in 1971, he was probably not even a millionaire at that time, let alone a billionaire. Since then, no convictions and no prosecutions, just whining that Branson minimizes his taxes by how he structures and locates his business ventures.

Not that facts matter to WRP.

To DUmmies, taxes are, all at once, a social responsibility, a means of economic "justice," and plain old fashioned punishment. Recall that anytime anyone other than a prominent Dem has a windfall, one of the first things they demand is that said person we taxed to the hilt. Lottery threads are the best for this - whenever it gets way up there and someone wins, the first thing they say is that no one deserves that much money, and even MORE of it should be taken away by the government. DUmmies measure their happiness by how much money the government has. Weird.
NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Wee Willie Pitt didn't wear out his liver yet?  Wonder who will really pass away first: Omaha Steve, Cal Piggy, Drunken Aunt Nancy, or the Pitt-stain.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Some things never change. The pittster still can’t write.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline I_B_Perky

Wee Willie Pitt didn't wear out his liver yet?  Wonder who will really pass away first: Omaha Steve, Cal Piggy, Drunken Aunt Nancy, or the Pitt-stain.

My money is on PittStain. OS has been dying for like 10 years and will be dying for the next 20.  Cal Piggy is one of those people that the Grim Reaper refused to pick up because neither heaven nor hell wanted that stupid bitch. Nancy is already dead and will never go away.... she is just a zombie at this point  that will try to eat your brain.

PittStain, however, is like the cockroaches.  Just when you think you killed them all... Bzzzzzzttt!!! They're back!!!!

:cheersmate:
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline landofconfusion80

I give his liver 24 business hours
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline BamaMoose

Don't forget Pam, she's been on death's door for decades.

Offline DUmpsterDiver

The PittSh1t said ... " I’m pretty sure Chuck Yeager would not be impressed."

How about you get your wimpy lame a$$ down here and bring that subject up in person.   You may need a robot whisky holder after such a foolish move.  Pitt gives Yankee a bad name.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Am I reading this right? He's butt hurt because he wants space exploration to be strictly government based?

Seeing as Obama killed NASA manned space launches when does he imagine the US will be able to return to its own program?

Why wouldn't private exploration benefit society as a whole?

I feel like he's just bitching to bitch.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
Am I reading this right? He's butt hurt because he wants space exploration to be strictly government based?

Seeing as Obama killed NASA manned space launches when does he imagine the US will be able to return to its own program?

Why wouldn't private exploration benefit society as a whole?

I feel like he's just bitching to bitch.

I think liberals feel entitled to space - like it's theirs or something, and the only way anyone can go up there is on their terms. Whatever.
NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running

I think liberals feel entitled to space - like it's theirs or something, and the only way anyone can go up there is on their terms. Whatever.

I know they definitely take Star Trek with its fabricators eradicating material needs and wants - and with them, money and the need to work for a living - as some sort of prophecy to be striven for.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."