Author Topic: So, I lied....  (Read 560 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
So, I lied....
« on: July 12, 2021, 10:50:20 PM »
Star Member Sogo (2,312 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215616158

So, I lied....

Today was the day when I finally could get a repairman scheduled for routine maintenance on one of my appliances. It's a fairly new unit, and I purchased an extended warranty on it, which comes with "tune ups."

I live in the corner of a state that borders another state that is major Trump country, and I had a feeling the service area might include a technician coming from that state who likely wouldn't be masked. I put out a mask for when he arrived and met him at the door wearing my mask. Sure enough, he had no mask, so I handed him the mask I had gotten out for him, and asked "if he didn't mind..." At the first hint of a scoffing look at the mask is when the lie kicked in....."Look, I said, I'm just recovering from an illness and have a compromised immune system, so it's rather important." Bingo. He put on the mask with no further hesitancy.

Now, I know you will all say, F him. It's your house; either he complies or you don't let him in. But the fact is that this is the service company that the appliance store contracts, I've already paid for that service with the extended warranty, and in a rural area there are no alternatives. And the fact is that he was very good at his job and explained a lot about how the appliance functioned, so that I won't have the same concerns in the future about it's performance. I'll for sure give feedback to the service company that their technicians should without hesitation comply with any customer's request concerning masks.

The old saying that "you pick your battles," applies here. As a single woman, let me say I feel that I won this particular battle....without confrontation. That's satisfying to me....Sometimes I'm just not up for confrontation....

So... you are not sick. He probably wasn't sick. But you lied because...

You're a DUmpmonkie and that's what you do...

Star Member MineralMan (138,517 posts)

3. So, you lied about your vulnerability?

Is that what you're saying? Are you fully vaccinated?

If you are, you could just keep your distance from the technician and let him fix your appliance.

If that's not what you meant by saying, "So, I lied..." then I misunderstood your post title.

Of course- simply to force someone to do something she wanted. Typical leftist.

Star Member Sogo (2,312 posts)

6. Even though I'm fully vaccinated, the Delta variant is on the rise in both my state and his, and the reports are that my vaccination (Pfizer) has only a 64% effective rate against it. So, without having to get into the whole issue about vax/anti-vax, science/non-science, and all the adjoining politics, I lied about my vulnerability, as you put it.

I had to be in close enough proximity to him to see what he was explaining about the appliance that social distancing was not an option....It worked out marvelously.

As in a earlier post- reported COVID cases and deaths are down across the county. Significantly down.

Star Member SoCalDavidS (4,009 posts)

39. Firemen & Police Officers Are Among The Lowest Vaxxed

Even though they've had access to the vaccines since last December.

It's little wonder why many of them died over the last 17 months.

But, they sure did own us libs.

Oh... I wonder if they have that stat somewhere... how many first responders have died of covid?

odd... there is nothing about that later than November of last year... F/Google search comes up empty..

Star Member cannabis_flower (3,430 posts)

21. You are right but with an *

*Although the Pfizer vaccine has a 64% effectiveness rate against getting the Delta variant, it has something like a 99.6% effectiveness at preventing a case that is serious enough for hospitalization or death.

:whatever:

Star Member Hekate (69,563 posts)

7. All things considered, I think you did the right thing. We are living thru some very bad times here

Last edited Mon Jul 12, 2021, 04:58 PM - Edit history (1)

And by “bad times” I mean not just medically but socially and politically. There’s been a breakdown of social norms.

I, personally, do not want confrontations with strangers in my own home when all I want from them is a transaction of a service in exchange for my paying them. If I have a wide choice of vendors for a given service, so much the better, but the fact is that like you I probably do not.

The fact is, you are vulnerable, in several different ways. How many ways can you appeal to a person’s humanity and indicate your vulnerability? You chose one way of expressing it, and it worked.

Fine with me, Sogo.

Gregory Peccary (350 posts)

8. All Trumpers understand are lies

So you did the right thing

Star Member mountain grammy (23,197 posts)

12. Even though you're fully vaccinated

you have a right to ask a stranger coming into your home to mask up.. Good for you. I think you handled it beautifully and the tech respected you enough to do it.

I am fully vaccinated but still don't mind seeing people wearing masks. I wore one the other day to get blood drawn.

And really... that's all they had to do. Express their nervousness and ask the guy to mask. No big deal. BUT the DUmpmonkie has to make it political... who's to say the guy wasn't a screaming liberal (other than he had a job, I mean)

Star Member multigraincracker (23,629 posts)

14. Good job.

I like to toss a curve ball every once and a while too.

Back, right after Biden won, I was talking to an old guy about a car he had for sale in his yard. We were having a nice talk when he said he was kind of worried about having Biden for a President. I said, you know what like about Biden? He said no what? I said "I haven't seen his wife naked". He started laughing and couldn't stop.

Star Member Demobrat (7,307 posts)

26. As another single woman living alone I have a different take on this.

You didn’t just protect yourself against Covid.

When you let a male who can physically overpower you into your home when you’re alone you don’t make him angry. No matter who it is. And I don’t want to hear - from anybody - that it shouldn’t be that way. It’s how it is.

So you lied to get him to wear a mask without risking your health - or your safety.

Good job.

:thatsright:

Star Member Skittles (136,034 posts)

46. hey, those ****ers LIVE a lie

seems appropriate, doesn't it, that you had to lie to make him behave like a decent human being

jaxexpat (2,015 posts)

56. Play these suckers however you need to to get your paid work from them.

No need to go into any introspection when they're at your door and start smirking about you in your own home. Someday they may be accepted back into the brotherhood of man but these days are not so generous.

:bird:

joshcryer (61,777 posts)

55. Ironically, that is exactly the kind of interaction they want.

They want to be lied to, they want to lie to each other. They respected her wish over the lie, they may have even been able to tell it was a lie, but because it was a lie, it became the de facto way to interact with their client.

:mental:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Aristotelian

Re: So, I lied....
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 05:34:03 AM »
How about saying, "I'd feel safer if you wore a mask - do you mind?"

It's not really that difficult. I often have to go into people's houses for work purposes, I carry a muzzle because some of them might want me to wear it; why do DUmmies insist on deciding the worst about everybody outside of their little tiny bubble before even meeting them?

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 06:16:12 AM »
How about saying, "I'd feel safer if you wore a mask - do you mind?"

It's not really that difficult. I often have to go into people's houses for work purposes, I carry a muzzle because some of them might want me to wear it; why do DUmmies insist on deciding the worst about everybody outside of their little tiny bubble before even meeting them?

I'm more convinced than ever that leftists's default method of persuasion is "how can I lie to get this person to do what I want?"
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 08:18:08 AM by ADsOutburst »

Offline Delmar

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2021, 06:31:01 AM »
let me say I feel that I won this particular battle

You won the battle of the mask.  What an awe-inspiring triumph.  Bask in the glory.
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2021, 08:19:13 AM »
Star Member multigraincracker (23,629 posts)

14. Good job.

I like to toss a curve ball every once and a while too.

Back, right after Biden won, I was talking to an old guy about a car he had for sale in his yard. We were having a nice talk when he said he was kind of worried about having Biden for a President. I said, you know what like about Biden? He said no what? I said "I haven't seen his wife naked". He started laughing and couldn't stop.

Thank f*** for that!

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2021, 08:31:44 AM »
You won the battle of the mask.  What an awe-inspiring triumph.  Bask in the glory.

Nice line. :cheersmate:

Really don't understand this bizarre mask fetish of liberals especially.  Of course I understand if one has underlying health issues.  But don't shame everyone else for not wearing that damn AIDS ribbon.  Symbolism over substance.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2021, 09:31:58 AM »
And the fact is that he was very good at his job and explained a lot about how the appliance functioned, so that I won't have the same concerns in the future about it's performance

here's a few more facts.  Things eventually fail and when you call the service company and hope this capable technician is dispatched to resolve the problem, he will see your address on the work order and suddenly claim illness and turn the job over to a less qualified technician who will tell your the appliance is past it's useful lifespan and it's time to drop some more $$$ on a new device.

Well done.  How does that "victory" feel now?
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2021, 09:33:41 AM »
Nice line. :cheersmate:

Really don't understand this bizarre mask fetish of liberals especially.  Of course I understand if one has underlying health issues.  But don't shame everyone else for not wearing that damn AIDS ribbon.  Symbolism over substance.
I rose to take the bait on this one...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iV8X8ubGCc
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2021, 10:48:47 AM »
why do DUmmies insist on deciding the worst about everybody outside of their little tiny bubble before even meeting them?

Because,.............................inclusion?
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2021, 02:07:06 PM »
So... you are not sick...

There's sick, and then there's DUmp Monkey sick.

Every last one of the non-mole denizens of Skinner's Island is so sick they think the dementia-addled #JoeThePretender is a brilliant choice for POTUS...
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2021, 02:36:40 PM »
I rose to take the bait on this one...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iV8X8ubGCc

Haven't seen that episode in ages, but it pretty much sums up the mask theater mindset of liberals.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender