Author Topic: I am 72 years old. I have always thought of climate change as a disaster  (Read 686 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Star Member Atticus (11,068 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215587592

I am 72 years old. I have always thought of climate change as a disaster that I would leave my children and grandchildren to confront.

I felt guilty that I sould be dead by the time they would be suffering for my generation's ignorance, apathy and lack of political will. I no longer feel that way.

The drastic adverse effects of climate change are no longer "coming"--- they are here. Barring unexpected fatal illness, I will "share the pain" we have wrought.

:jerkit:

Star Member secondwind (12,568 posts)

1. Sadly, this is true for me as well... You spoke for me, Atticus...

Am 75, and grandkids range from 3 to 22. Ugh

:yawn:

Star Member abqtommy (10,253 posts)

3. I think it's important for us humans to take steps to stop what we do that adversely affects

climate and our environment. But that won't stop the volcano, the earthquake, the hurricane/typhoon
or prevent comet/asteroid strikes on our planet. I'm also 72 and I'm leaving my grandkids the same
situation that I inherited when I was born.

Star Member msfiddlestix (2,317 posts)

4. I'm nearly 71, my grandchildren are actively doing their part...

but the whole weight shouldn't have fallen on their shoulders, nor the consequences of our failure to meet the challenge.

I'm heartbroken over it, as well as the state of our political and social culture.

Star Member Hortensis (46,281 posts)

5. Not me. I've watched it evolve for over 50 years, always thought

the changes would probably force enough action before it got this bad of course, but everything my college physical geography teacher once explained would happen if we didn't stop it has been ever since, including the acceleration we've been living through in recent decades.

Climate/water concerns were actually one thing that made me willing to leave Southern California 20 years ago, not the only ones but on the list. Seven years of drought and increasing temperatures out of the past 9 were not fun for a gardener, and I knew it was only going to get worse.

Btw, all those decades it's always been the left through the Democratic Party that's lead what action has been taken, and conservative-business opposition that's fought ferociously to block it. When Democratic President Johnson officially warned the nation in 1965 that we had to change to meet this giant threat, conservative big business immediately weaponized to fight action, including using the new, modern advertising techniques to swamp the populace with lies that it wasn't happening.

:yawn:

Jedi Guy (1,765 posts)

13. Greed is certainly a part of it, but it's not the entire story.

To some extent it's human nature to close one's eyes to a problem one would just as soon not confront. Not because one is greedy and wants more, but because one doesn't want to upset the applecart of what's familiar and comfortable. "If I don't acknowledge the problem, it'll just sort itself out." Trump's response (heavy sarcasm here) to Covid is a perfect example of this mindset.

There's probably a significant fear component there, as well. Some people are just loath to acknowledge when they're afraid of something, anything. I worked with a guy who was clearly an arachnophobe. If he saw a spider, he was out of the room so fast he left a vapor trail. But he refused to acknowledge that fear and insisted he "just doesn't like them."

Unfortunately, we're fighting human nature in addition to climate change. A friend of mine is fond of referring to humans as "overclocked monkeys" and he's certainly right in that the monkey-brain is still very much present.

::)

Star Member malaise (231,428 posts)

6. Indeed

and if you want proof a hurricane came real close to Barbados on July 2nd.
That simply does not happen.

Oh, no... a hurricane... during hurricane season...

:thatsright:

Star Member Javaman (57,354 posts)

12. Until a hurricane slams into D.C. Nothing of much effort will be done.

And even when and if that happens, the repukes will say that these types of storms that flood and destroyed properties in D.C. have always happened and climate change is a hoax. All the while, while they are standing in ankle deep water in the middle of congress

Pobeka (3,611 posts)

14. Unfortunately, this is just the beginning.

We (humans) are going to have to actively modify the atmosphere very quickly to block a fraction of incoming solar or the planet may be left for the insects...

:mental:

The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Old n Grumpy

The drastic adverse effects of climate change are no longer "coming"--- they are here.

The polar ice caps have melted and polar bears are converting to brown and black bears so they won't be considered racist. :thatsright:

Miami is under water and the fish that were swimming down Biscayne blvd. left because the traffic was to heavy and the lights are out causing chaos. :rant:

The ocean is so hot in Maine the lobsters they catch are already cooked. :panic:

In some areas the solar farms are absorbing so much sun light it is dark most of the day.

:-) :rotf: :rotf: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline SVPete

Star Moron Atticus (11,068 posts)

I am 72 years old. I have always thought of climate change as a disaster that I would leave my children and grandchildren to confront.

That is some of the rankest, most putrid, most grossly obvious, :bs2flag: I've seen from DU in a while!

I'm a few years younger than Star Moron Atticus, old enough to remember that the Enviros' Climate-Panic at Earth Day and for several more years in popular-level "Science" magazines was that humans were bringing on a new Ice Age!

The first response to Star Moron Atticus should have been to call out his lie, but as of a minute ago, no DU member was that honest. But, This, is DU, a den of ignorance, deception, and deceit.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 09:39:06 AM by SVPete »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline J P Sousa

• We Built Our Business - IN SPITE OF GOVERNMENT
  • I love the smell of gun powder in the morning
Meanwhile;

Physicist: Upcoming Grand Solar Minimum Could Wipe Out Global Warming for Decades

https://www.climatedepot.com/2020/10/05/physicist-upcoming-grand-solar-minimum-could-wipe-out-global-warming-for-decades/

Northumbria University’s Valentina Zharkova, a researcher who’s published several papers on sunspots and grand solar minima, has linked the minima to a drastic falloff in the sun’s internal magnetic field. The roughly 70% downswing in magnetic field from its average value is part of a 350- to 400-year cycle arising from regular variations in behavior of the very hot plasma powering our sun. 
John Wayne: "America Why I Love Her"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5ZGz7h0epU

Get Over It! We Are Not All Created Equal ~Capt Katie Petronio

Obama Wiretapped The Trump Tower...FACT

The reason there are so many stupid people is because it's illegal to kill them.
~John Wayne

Offline DLR Pyro

I felt guilty that I sould be dead by the time they would be suffering for my generation's ignorance, apathy and lack of political will. I no longer feel that way.

and yet you have no problem with the government going so far into debt doling out countless $$$  under the ruse of "covid relief bills" that your grandchildren's grandchildren will still be paying for all the "free" money you think you deserve.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
Man, DUmbasses are the most weak willed, timid, thin skinned, gullible bunch of idiots I've seen assembled in one place on this planet.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
A few things.

I’m sorry the Atticus primitive has children and grandchildren. They deserved to have a father and grandfather that was a man and not a sniveling pool of worthless urine like they got.

I’m happy to see that the primitives are of advanced physical age as they will no longer be among the living in short order. It’s a shame that mentally they never even came close to reaching maturity.

And I see that many of them are quite upset over the “climate change” they’ve told everyone over and over and over again should have killed the planet decades ago. Any time lefties are miserable, they’re in their happy place, and that whole thread is just bursting with happiness.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?

Then how have you not noticed that the disaster keeps getting pushed back, and that the proposed solutions give governments more power, make their buddies more money, and ignore the worst polluters, China and India?
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

Offline SVPete

Man, DUmbasses are the most weak willed, timid, thin skinned, gullible bunch of idiots I've seen assembled in one place on this planet.

Sheeple
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
How many years do we have left on AOC’s 12 year ‘death clock’?

I’ve been too afraid to sleep. Don’t want to miss a minute I have left before ... whatever she thinks is going to happen in 12 years.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
But they don't feel an ounce of pity for sticking future generations with crushing debt so long as these aging commies get their social security and Medicare.

And what better way to help those future generations cope with that debt than crushing economic and social regulations.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
As a 51 year old, I've NEVER thought about "global warming" or "climate change" as any sort of disaster.  Simply a ruse to control idiot lemmings on the left.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Ferrance

• Signing the Blue State Blues
This whole DUmp thread is nothing but we're all gonna die!!!!  :panic: Admittedly it's fun to watch them freak out over something that really isn't worth the tears :lmao:
The Democratic party is longest running racist organization in the country. Going strong for over 200 years.

Offline SVPete

As a 51 year old, I've NEVER thought about "global warming" or "climate change" as any sort of disaster.  Simply a ruse to control idiot lemmings on the left.

Young pup! :-)

By the time I heard of Global Warming - in the late 80s - I was already inured to Enviros' wolf-crying lies. It doesn't take great brilliance to spot their repeated pattern of lies, just paying attention.

Offline landofconfusion80

Young pup! :-)

By the time I heard of Global Warming - in the late 80s - I was already inured to Enviros' wolf-crying lies. It doesn't take great brilliance to spot their repeated pattern of lies, just paying attention.
I heard the switch from "global warming" to "global climate change" on the radio one morning when headed to work. My first thought was guess global warming didn't work out like they wanted.
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline ADsOutburst

There was a time when a famous democrat demigod to the left said "We have nothing to fear but fear itself."
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 12:57:30 PM by ADsOutburst »