Author Topic: Frozen pizza. Do you enhance it in any way?  (Read 15810 times)

Offline Mr Mannn

Frozen pizza. Do you enhance it in any way?
« on: January 03, 2015, 07:45:58 PM »
Mine looks all skimpy with cheese, so I add 8 oz of shredded Sharp Cheddar. 20 minutes at 400 doesn't seem to bother the cheese at all. Further, there is not enough Peperoni.

Since cooking in an actual oven is new to me, I have to ask.
"How do you make a frozen pizza better?"

When I did Microwave cooking I used Boboli Pizza crust, Classico roasted garlic spaghetti sauce and 8oz of shredded cheese and made fresher pizza. (the pizza sauces were all too sweet for me.)

I'm kinda thinking of going for that combo again, especially if I have to add cheese all the time.

Offline thundley4

Re: Frozen pizza. Do you enhance it in any way?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 09:10:49 PM »
We pretty much skip frozen pizza and do like you said, use a premade crust and add your own toppings.  An alternative to that is buying a loaf of French bread and make our own French bread pizza.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 10:25:10 PM »
I avoid frozen pizza, especially since homemade is so easy to make and dirt cheap.  Homemade pan pizza makes DiGiorno taste like the junk food it is.

I'd like to try Papa Murphy's... I hear good thing about them.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 12:35:18 AM »

I hope they have gotten better since I tried them last. 

Also, how do you set your oven up to bake a pizza at home?  Like, the temperature, rack placement, etc?

Offline Chris_

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 12:43:45 AM »
Baking rack in the upper half of the oven but not on the top rack.  Preheated to 400º and with plenty of space to slide the pan in to.

I use an easy no-knead bread dough, pizza sauce (not "pasta" sauce), pepperoni, and generic pizza-style shredded cheese mix.  The dough takes five minutes to throw together and sits for 24 hours.  Punch the dough down and roll it out.  It doesn't have quite the same gluten structure as a standard dough recipe, but it does fine for pizza baked in a cast-iron pan.  The dough is less than six ingredients -- all you have to do is stir it together.

If you have a tomato garden, it's a great way to use the extra tomatoes.  I spend about $1.50 for a single pizza.

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2013/01/the-pizza-lab-the-worlds-easiest-pizza-no-knead-no-stretch-pan-pizza.html
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 12:46:05 AM by Chris_ »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 12:55:33 AM »
We use one of these for both fresh and the occasional frozen pizza.

http://www.gopresto.com/products/pizzazz/

They have separate elements for top and bottom.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 01:02:31 AM »
We use one of these for both fresh and the occasional frozen pizza.

http://www.gopresto.com/products/pizzazz/

They have separate elements for top and bottom.
I just don't see the benefit in paying for something that only serves one purpose.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 01:09:20 AM »
I just don't see the benefit in paying for something that only serves one purpose.

It doesn't put out heat like an oven does in the summer time.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 11:46:32 AM »
I thought we were getting a discussion of tombstoning.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 12:44:28 PM »
We pretty much skip frozen pizza and do like you said, use a premade crust and add your own toppings.  An alternative to that is buying a loaf of French bread and make our own French bread pizza.
Yep. costs the same and tastes better. Bobboli from now on.

Pizza sauce: what sauce do you use? I never liked any of them cause they are too sweet. I've been using garlic spaghetti sauce.

and what cheese are you using? My standard is sharp cheddar. But I use that with everything.

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2015, 01:15:45 PM »
Y'all are makin' me hungry fer pizza. But I've still got prime rib and cheese taters left to warm up an' eat.....
FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: THE SOAP BOX, THE BALLOT BOX, THE JURY BOX, AND THE CARTRIDGE BOX.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2015, 02:20:20 PM »
Y'all are makin' me hungry fer pizza. But I've still got prime rib and cheese taters left to warm up an' eat.....
Trade ya. Still got one last frozen pizza in the deep freeze.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2015, 02:27:06 PM »
I avoid frozen pizza, especially since homemade is so easy to make and dirt cheap.  Homemade pan pizza makes DiGiorno taste like the junk food it is.

I don't grab one all that often, but the closest Papa Murphy's to me has always been good for take & bake your own.  Sure, more expensive than a Tombstone, but far more fresh.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline thundley4

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2015, 03:02:00 PM »
Yep. costs the same and tastes better. Bobboli from now on.

Pizza sauce: what sauce do you use? I never liked any of them cause they are too sweet. I've been using garlic spaghetti sauce.

and what cheese are you using? My standard is sharp cheddar. But I use that with everything.

We use Ragu pizza sauce, but not a lot of it. We load pizza down with sausage, pepperoni and tons of mozzarella.

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2015, 04:38:52 PM »
Local Wally World sells pizza dough. You can keep it in the freezer. Its not hard to shape. I don't use sauce just crushed tomatoes with lots of oregano, garlic and basil added. Secret is to minimize the tomatoes, to much and the crust won't get done. Lots of shredded mozzarella and parmesan. Always a drizzle of EVOO. 15 min in a hot oven 475. I have one of those pizza pans like a screen so the crust gets nice.  My favorite topping is fresh basil.
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline Belle

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2015, 12:15:52 AM »
There are some good frozen pizzas. Trader Joe's has some imported from Italy.  They also have a gluten free pizza, which is really good.

But the other day I found a pizza shell @ Earth Fare in the refrigerated section.  Of course it can also be frozen.  It comes in white or wheat.  "The pizza gourmet Wood Grilled". Since I'm addicted to pizza & its my favorite breakfast food, I tried it.  & it was really good.  Highly recommend.

http://www.woodgrilledpizzacrusts.com