Author Topic: Tyson replaces Labor Day with Muslim Eid al-Fitr  (Read 2499 times)

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
Tyson replaces Labor Day with Muslim Eid al-Fitr
« on: August 02, 2008, 09:00:48 AM »
By Bob Unruh
© 2008 WorldNetDaily

Food workers at the Shelbyville, Tenn., plant for Tyson Foods, which boasts on its corporate website that it strives "to honor God," will have time off for Eid al-Fitr, the Muslim holiday closing the month of Ramadan, instead of the American tradition Labor Day.

Officials with the company told WND the labor union representing the 1,200 plant workers, including about 700 immigrants from Somalia who largely are Muslim, sought the holiday change in the new five-year contract, and the company agreed.

Officials with the Retail, Wholesale and Department Store Union issue a press statement about the new "contract [that] creates an additional paid holiday, [Eid al-Fitr,] a Muslim holiday that occurs toward the end of Ramadan."

A spokeswoman at the union's office told WND no one was in the office today who could comment on the request.

To the Shelbyville Times-Gazette, Gary Mickelson, Tyson's media chief, said there is no new holiday, but at the union's request the company agreed to discontinue the Labor Day holiday and implement Eid al-Fitr.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=71218
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
Re: Tyson replaces Labor Day with Muslim Eid al-Fitr
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 09:04:09 AM »
Holy Bat **** Crazy
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 09:12:21 AM »
I saw this the other day in the local paper and considered posting it.  I suppose setting up a voluntary, floating holiday would have been too much trouble for the union.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 09:14:21 AM »
I saw this the other day in the local paper and considered posting it.  I suppose setting up a voluntary, floating holiday would have been too much trouble for the union.

The workers demanding the change wouldn't have settled for that IMHO.

It's typical of the Muslim religion and outlook on life..."do it our way...or else."

Looks like I'm going to have to consider switching brands of chicken I buy at the Commissary.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 09:18:30 AM »

It's typical of the Muslim religion and outlook on life..."do it our way...or else."

Looks like I'm going to have to consider switching brands of chicken I buy at the Commissary.

My aunt stopped buying Tyson some time in the 90's after they supported Clinton's election campaign.  I generally don't buy them.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 09:19:26 AM »
Between this and all the illegals they've been busted for hiring, is there any reason left to patronize this company?
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 09:27:02 AM »
^Nope no reason at all.

But here's what I want to know. How did a small group of muslim employees manage to bully an American corporation and a labor union into replacing a secular holiday paying homage to the American worker....with a religious holiday honoring Allah.

This is how it all started in Europe.  They've got a huge muslim population they fail to recognize as a potential problem hoping if they don't see it...that it will go away.

And there are certain factions and a political party in this contry hoping for the same thing.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 09:27:09 AM »
How about calls to prayer from a minaret to replace coffee breaks as well? Hell, just level the factory and turn it into a mosque.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 09:28:48 AM »
How about calls to prayer from a minaret to replace coffee breaks as well? Hell, just level the factory and turn it into a mosque.

Wasn't there a meat processing company in the south recently that was having trouble with muslim employees because they were demanding to be allowed to leave the processing line for their daily prayer calls?

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 09:28:54 AM »
^Nope no reason at all.

But here's what I want to know. How did a small group of muslim employees manage to bully an American corporation and a labor union into replacing a secular holiday paying homage to the American worker....with a religious holiday honoring Allah.

About $4/hour plus benefits difference between what they're paying the Mooselimbs and what they'd have to pay Americans.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 09:34:06 AM »

Wasn't there a meat processing company in the south recently that was having trouble with muslim employees because they were demanding to be allowed to leave the processing line for their daily prayer calls?

Yeah, but, it was in Omaha, NE.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2007/07/22/muslim_workers_in_neb_allege_harassment/
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2008, 09:34:57 AM »

About $4/hour plus benefits difference between what they're paying the Mooselimbs and what they'd have to pay Americans.

Here Lies The United States of America 1775 - 2011

She Sole Her Soul and Sacrificed Her Liberty

For Minimum Wage Workers

:thatsright:

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2008, 09:37:22 AM »
I wonder if the people who get upset over things like prayers before a football game and hanging the Ten Commandments in a courtroom will get upset over this?

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2008, 11:14:34 AM »
More proof that unions have outlived their usefulness.

I have no problem with businesses respecting religious holidays. Everywhere I've ever worked has been understanding or had some kind of policy. I've worked with Jews who took off for certain holidays. They would volunteer to work Good Friday and Christmas in exchange though. I'm not saying that has to be the case though.

I wouldn't be troubled by this if it weren't strikingly similar to a pattern we see in other countries. They really do fit the whole "give them an inch, they take a mile" thing. It's not about respecting religious beliefs in general or taking advantage of American religious freedom. It's about taking over. That's what I'm bothered by.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Jim

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2008, 01:07:55 PM »
Tyson ?  I would have thought Cinco De Mayo would be a bigger deal.
My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

What's the difference between Sarah Palin and Barack Obama?

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

The other kills her own food.

Offline Willow

• Limousine
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2008, 05:41:59 PM »
More proof that unions have outlived their usefulness.

I have no problem with businesses respecting religious holidays. Everywhere I've ever worked has been understanding or had some kind of policy. I've worked with Jews who took off for certain holidays. They would volunteer to work Good Friday and Christmas in exchange though. I'm not saying that has to be the case though.

I wouldn't be troubled by this if it weren't strikingly similar to a pattern we see in other countries. They really do fit the whole "give them an inch, they take a mile" thing. It's not about respecting religious beliefs in general or taking advantage of American religious freedom. It's about taking over. That's what I'm bothered by.

I have no problem with it either Dixie except for the fact that major business' in the USA have refused to recognize Christmas, they now want a Holiday! Everybody says they want "inclusion" which is BS as evidenced by replacing the 4th with a religious holiday!

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2008, 09:05:51 PM »
^yes, I know the whole "holiday vs. Christmas" thing is stupid. I was speaking more in generalities and working off the assumption that it's done fairly.

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline djones520

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2008, 03:36:26 PM »

Well, they do make up the majority of the workers.  Nearly 60% of them.  Aren't we always saying that the majority should dictate terms?  That we shouldn't pander to the minorities?

Granted, Labor Day is a federal holiday, while whatever day is just a religious holiday, but if the majority of the workers preferred this, then alright.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2008, 03:40:31 PM »
^Where my father works, there was debate about taking MLK day off or taking Robert E. Lee's birthday off. The state of MS officially declared Jan 30 the observation for both a few years ago.

I think it really depends on the region and the majority. Again, it doesn't ease my mind that a larger agenda is at play because it's a Muslim holiday.