Author Topic: Should a governor be allowed (SoCalDem)  (Read 390 times)

Offline CC27

Should a governor be allowed (SoCalDem)
« on: June 20, 2011, 12:17:09 PM »
SoCalDem Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Mon Jun-20-11 12:54 PM
Original message
Should a governor be allowed to sell assets of the state they govern?

Edited on Mon Jun-20-11 01:01 PM by SoCalDem
Years ago when Indiana sold the toll road to Spain, I posted the article, it drew little interest, but now people are starting to pay closer attention.

It's not only sales to foreign countries (like the Dubai parking lot/meters sale/lease in Chicago). Local officials sell off parks, buildings, power plants, etc. too.

These elected officials are transitory people in the lives of a community/state, but the long-term/permanent damage they do can last forever, and is often irreparable.

People elect others to do a job for the community/state , NOT to hold a fire-sale, auctioning off assets to the highest bidder so they can plug holes in a budget mess they caused themselves.

Would Mom & Dad "sell/lease" the bathrooms of your home, and install a coin-slot so you had to pay every time you entered the bathroom?

Infrastructures require maintenance, upgrading, and taking federal (or state tax) money to build them, then ignoring them for decades and then offering them up "for sale" ( a 75 -99 yr lease might as well be a sale), is not helping the community.

One person (often serving only 4 yrs) should NOT have the power to sell off assets built & paid for by the people they claim to "serve".

They should have to put stuff like that up for a special vote, and the details should be spelled out in 6th grade language so that anyone could understand exactly what the result of such a thing would be..

Finding out what a prior governor (or city council, or county commission, or whatever) did with community/state assets, too late to undo it, is ridiculous.

there is a place for private ownership and there is also a place for community/state ownership. Ask anyone who lives in a place where they once had municipal ownership of services, and then they were sold to private companies, how much "better-worse" their services are now. You can choose to not use a toll road or to not park in Chicago, but you often have NO choice about which company delivers your water, power, natural gas, trash pick up, sewer service etc. If a community owns & operates these services the cost will almost always be less than when a private entity buys & operates them.

Somewhere along the line, people forgot that there is an expense to upkeep, and selling off an aging "whatever" to the highest bidder is not an effective way to solve that problem. It may solve the problem for right now, but upgrades/rebuilding WILL be done by the private owner, and the costs passed on to you through higher prices & lost community/state revenues...and in the end you lose because you pay higher prices, and the money goes NOT TO YOUR COMMUNITY/STATE, but to a private company or foreign country..

I'm not gonna allow you to allow me anything DUmmie. Whats that i hear? A phone ringing? Must be a call from your son from prison...

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x1332408

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Should a governor be allowed (SoCalDem)
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 12:35:09 PM »
SoCalDem Donating Member (1000+ posts) 
Mon Jun-20-11 12:54 PM
Original message

I don't see why not.

I wish Haslam would sell all the liberals, but nobody would buy one.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 12:52:29 PM »
Would Mom & Dad "sell/lease" the bathrooms of your home, and install a coin-slot so you had to pay every time you entered the bathroom?

I didn't read the entire DUmmie post. I stopped at the above quoted line. That line displays one of the biggest problem with the DUmmie thought process. They really do view the government as "Mom & Dad". There to take care of all of their needs.
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 01:06:21 PM »
SoCalDem Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Mon Jun-20-11 12:54 PM
Original message

Typical DUmmie attitude. Can't figure out that some "assets" are a drain on their economy and the money gotten from selling them will help provide services for their community. If you're convinced it belongs to you, buy it yourself.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline jukin

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 01:09:53 PM »
A governor must do whatever it takes to make sure that PEU members can retire at 50 with 100% of their highest salary, free Cadillac health care plans, and COLAs.

It's the Public Employee Union Way!!!!
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 01:13:25 PM »

I've been thinking about this for awhile now.  I would use that money as a "cleaning fee" since no one in this home knows how to clean the bathroom, except me.  It's my bathroom and you don't have to use it.  So if I charge a $3 service fee for 24 hours of use, what's the big deal?
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 01:22:56 PM »
I've been thinking about this for awhile now.  I would use that money as a "cleaning fee" since no one in this home knows how to clean the bathroom, except me.  It's my bathroom and you don't have to use it.  So if I charge a $3 service fee for 24 hours of use, what's the big deal?

Lots of people rent out an extra room in their home to make extra money. I'm assuming bathroom privileges come with the rent.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline RockMan

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 01:35:41 PM »
When governments give away everything of value, I'm glad to see at least someone trying to monetize things before giving them away.
Proudly using the world's slowest internet connection since 1986.