Author Topic: Will Bobo move out of her Buick?  (Read 952 times)

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
Will Bobo move out of her Buick?
« on: May 17, 2011, 09:30:13 PM »
No one asks the obvious question here - Will Bobo take advantage of this new and wonderous "housing" herself? Or does she prefer the role of martyr, forever tooling her house along the mean streets and boulevards of this land and remaining symbolically homeless on behalf of all the winos and meth heads across the USA?

Personally, I think she lives in a nice brick-and-stucco ranch in a suburb on the outskirts of Denver, and all the rest is just an affectation. But whatever.

bobbolink  (1000+ posts)        Mon May-16-11 03:22 PM
Original message
Denver's New "Green" Lofts For Homeless People
 For all of you talking about taking over old abandoned buildings, and empty homes, this is important to think about, including that is used both public and private funds:

Making Denver's East Colfax Avenue better (but not too much better)
The street's best new designs bring hope, but respect the urban realities
By Ray Mark Rinaldi
The Denver Post
Posted: 01/28/2011 03:28:16 PM MSTUpdated: 01/31/2011 01:50:25 PM MST

(snip)

At Pearl Street, rethinking the affordable. The latest Colorado Coalition for the Homeless project aims to change lives while fitting in. The $17 million building uses the latest green technology.

Lofts for the homeless? Yes, and plenty of windows to let in the light, picturesque views of the cathedral next door, brightly painted hallways, 10-foot ceilings, a shared computer lab and on-site counselors. The roof is covered with energy-converting solar tubes, and hyper-efficient elevators, and mechanical systems keep utility bills low for residents who need that the most.

Floor-to-ceiling windows in the hallways frame views of the Basilica of the Immaculate Conception nearby.

The goal is to integrate homeless people into the community and for the building itself to provide a "revitalizing uplift" to the neighborhood, coalition president John Parvensky said. While half of the units will be reserved for coalition clients, the rest will lease to folks who make $35,000 or less a year. Rents will range from $250 to $600 a month

Designed by Humphries Poli Architects, the building links to the sidewalk through five storefronts where retail tenants get a rent discount if they offer jobs or training to residents. Due first: an outlet of the trendy, earth-friendly Pizza Fusion chain.

Design-wise, the building tries to accomplish a lot. On three sides it is a modern loft development, with exterior sections of stucco, corrugated metal and composite siding — an uncomplicated box that adds a touch of this era to a street that has developed in various styles over a century.

Rooftop photovoltaic tubes will generate electricity for the building. The lofts were constructed to current green standards with energy-efficient elevators and appliances.

More at the link, including the new LGBT Center next door
http://www.denverpost.com/entertainment/ci_17221050

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x1113198

So outside of the "green" technology, what makes this different from any other low-to-no-income housing project we see in other cities, and what's to keep it from becoming the same ill-kept, run-down, drug-and-crime-infested-shithole most of them become?

CTyankee  (1000+ posts)      Mon May-16-11 03:27 PM
Response to Original message
1. Unbelievable! Something progressive and humane for the poor!
 Treating people like human beings!

What a concept!

Subsidized housing! How come no one thought of that before?

bobbolink  (1000+ posts)        Mon May-16-11 03:37 PM
Original message
It can be DONE, in hard times, when people think BIG, and are determined.
 I hope this lights a few fires around here!

NO to tents.. YES to HOUSING!

When will you be moving in, Bobo?

maryf  (1000+ posts)        Mon May-16-11 09:25 PM
Response to Reply #52
61. Needs for all first!
 housing, health care, food, water, warmth...recreation even?

Don't forget clothes, appliances, transportation, TV, and internet service. Oh, and sex, too. That's a need. Taxpayer-funded prostitutes for the poor. None of those ugly ones, either. The poor deserve to get laid with goodlooking partners just as much as anyone. :bouncy:

bobbolink  (1000+ posts)        Mon May-16-11 10:35 PM
Response to Reply #52
62. "housing should be a human right along with health care. " This is our task now. It MUST be.
 While I understand why people are saying it, continuing to repeat that homeless people should be in the empty houses really isn't an answer. As a matter of fact, it puts us further behind.

Those homes, abandoned or not, have OWNERS, and trying to change that will waste money time and effort.

On the other hand, working to build nice buildings like this will be a BENEFIT. These apartments will now remain low-income, and this can be done in every locale if progressives care enough to make it a priority.

That's right, the poor don't want that used shit. Set them up in something new or forget it. I'll bet every dollar spent on free housing will bring a $1.81 back into the community, too.

Are you moving in there, Bobo?

ceile  (1000+ posts)        Mon May-16-11 03:34 PM
5. Incredible!
 Wonderful concept- living, jobs and counseling all in one place.

Uh-oh. You said a bad word.

bobbolink  (1000+ posts)        Mon May-16-11 05:22 PM
Response to Reply #5
41. For most, the counseling won't be necessary. I hope they aren't hounded.
 It is downtown, so there are jobs in that area. It was a good way to spark up an old neighborhood, and create low-income housing and please environmentalists, all at one time!

eridani  (1000+ posts)         Mon May-16-11 09:10 PM
Response to Reply #41
56. Agreed. Seems to me that it's more likely that homeless people with mental problems--
 --have those problems BECAUSE homelessness can drive people crazy. Fix the homelessness, and sanity returns. Those who have mental health issues that cause homelessness are a minority, I suspect.

You said a bad word, too.

bobbolink  (1000+ posts)        Mon May-16-11 09:13 PM
Response to Reply #56
57. "mental health issues that cause homelessness are a minority, I suspect." NONE of it CAUSES
 homelessness.
THere are plenty of seriously mentally ill people who are NOT homeless.... the difference is MONEY.

As for the other side.... yes, you are right.. it is a minority.

Sixteen percent. 16%.

Yet, people want to keep equating homelessness with mental illness. Everytime Thom Hartmann does that, I want to throw something at the radio! Get. Educated. Thom!

Bullshit. If you're so dysfunctional from untreated mental illness that you can't hold down a job and have no other income then that is definitely homelessness caused by mental illness. I'll bet Bobo The DUmbass doesn't even realize that, by being in such vehement denial, she's perpetuating the same stigma attached to mental illness that people have worked for decades to erase.

leftstreet  (1000+ posts)        Mon May-16-11 04:00 PM
18. "on-site counselors" is that subsidized? private for profit?
 Do you know?

bobbolink  (1000+ posts)        Mon May-16-11 04:02 PM
Response to Reply #18
19. THAT is the part I don't like. It bolsters the idea that homeless people are "Flawed" and need to
 be fixed.

MYTH. And one that hurts.

According to the article, it is a mixture.

Here's a newsflash, sweetie: Everyone is flawed because we are human beings. The differences are merely matters of degree, and some people are indeed homeless because of their personal flaws. Heaven forbid they should admit that and get some help for it, though.

Oh BTW, are you moving in there, Bobo?

I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Will Bobo move out of her Buick?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 09:33:33 PM »
You could enshrine her Buick on a golden pedestal in the center of a magnificent full-service manor and she would still hate it.  Forget her.

Although her smack-down in the last CC call-out thread was hilarious.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 09:37:35 PM »
She'll do nothing to improve her station. It's gives her the morality cudgel to beat the rest of them down. Her "misery" is her one over-arching joy.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline longview

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 09:40:43 PM »
Oh yipee skipee.  East Colfax will now have non-homeless homeless people.  Yay.  I'll change my itinerary and drop by.  Sheesh.

I don't buy the whole bobo "i'm homeless" schtick either.  Her objection to mental health treatment is rather convincing, though.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 09:42:20 PM »
She'll do nothing to improve her station. It's gives her the morality cudgel to beat the rest of them down. Her "misery" is her one over-arching joy.

10 bucks says she lives in a nice pad in Superior. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 09:48:21 PM »
It won't take long after the winos and gangbangers move it until it's Denver's answer to Cabrini Green.
Those solar doodads on the roof will probably have lots of $4 a pound copper.
And then a wino will pass out while smoking and that'll be the end of the place.
These people didn't become smelly vagrants because of the housing situation.

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 09:51:31 PM »
I read it earlier in the evening and wondered why no one bothered to ask her.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline jukin

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 10:02:46 PM »
It won't take long after the winos and gangbangers move it until it's Denver's answer to Cabrini Green.
And then a wino will pass out while smoking and that'll be the end of the place.

Spot ON!

My solution for the homeless involves mobile homes and trailer, the desert, a perimeter fence, and government cheese, rice, and beans.  I'm sure it will work at about $2/day-hobo when amortized over 15 years.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Online DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 10:14:19 PM »

You're assuming of course that the winos, meth heads and other assorted vagrants remember to keep their head down long enough for all the rest of that to happen.  Colfax Ave. and Pearl St. isn't exactly downtown Beirut, but then, neither is Detroit.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline thundley4

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 10:37:36 PM »
bobo will never move into one of those places.  She gave herself away when she said that area is where the jobs are. Why would she want to go there?

Online DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 10:43:42 PM »
bobo will never move into one of those places.  She gave herself away when she said that area is where the jobs are. Why would she want to go there?

There are only 3 job types in that area presently: "sex workers" (crack whores), recreational pharmaceuticals distributors (drug dealers), and "local customs enforcement officers" (gang bangers).  The only jobs I might foresee moving INTO that area might "community organizer", IF ACORN decides to put an office there.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 11:03:00 PM »
What is the total number of homeless people who will be able to live there?  Will they have rules they will have to follow to live there?  If they do then it won't work. If they could/would follow the rules of society they wouldn't be homeless.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 11:07:52 PM »
If they could/would follow the rules of society they wouldn't be homeless.
It's as simple as that.

The county jail isn't anything but a hotel to them.  They do not care.  I checked on someone I used to know when I lived near NCSU.
Tant has been picked up 210 times and spent more than 2,000 nights in jail at a taxpayer cost of $93,000.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/116764/

I don't spend that much in rent... nowhere close to it.  I can buy a condo for that kind of money.

When the Democrats were in charge of the city council, they tried to fund some homeless hi-rise here.  Thank God someone put an end to that shit.  Thanks for nothing, Howard Gentry.  I can't stand Diane Neighbors, but thank God that piece of shit Gentry is out of our city politics.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 11:13:51 PM by chris_ »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline sybilll

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 11:53:38 PM »
I have not followed for long what the CC people have found out about the primitives.  But, I do have mental images of what certain primitives look like.  To me, Bobbo is either living in the burbs as you suspect, and is an undiagnosed Aspberger (sp) patient who cringes at seeing soap and a loofa, or truly is living in a car, and was featured on "True Life" on MTV before checking out of society (because Capitalism made her).

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 03:10:39 AM »
Crap, long lead-in.
Short answer.
No.
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline Skul

• Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 03:19:23 AM »
Longmont.
She does have values.
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 07:39:14 AM »
Oh yipee skipee.  East Colfax will now have non-homeless homeless people.  Yay.  I'll change my itinerary and drop by.  Sheesh.

I don't buy the whole bobo "i'm homeless" schtick either.  Her objection to mental health treatment is rather convincing, though.

I was always worried about my mom when she lived not too far from there.  Total shit neighborhood.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2011, 08:15:08 AM »
bobbolink  (1000+ posts)        Mon May-16-11 10:35 PM

Response to Reply #52

62. "housing should be a human right along with health care.

I'm so f'n sick of this entitlement mentality bullshit. Housing should be a human right? So you have a right to force someone to build your home for free? Have a right to force someone to furnish it? Have a right to someone's earnings, earnings that will be used to pay the utilities?

You do have a right. You have a right to get off your worthless ass, get a job, and provide housing for your damn self. Idiots like you should become victims of Darwinism. You contribute NOTHING to society.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline JohnnyReb

• In Memoriam
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2011, 08:32:43 AM »
I hear Extreme Home Makeover is going to cut BoBo's BUICK in half, stretch it into a limo and put in a sunroof.
“The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of ‘liberalism’, they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened.” - Norman Thomas, U.S. Socialist Party presidential candidate 1940, 1944 and 1948

"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold: its patriotism, its morality, and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Stalin

Offline Skul

• Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2011, 12:09:34 PM »
I hear Extreme Home Makeover is going to cut BoBo's BUICK in half, stretch it into a limo and put in a sunroof.
No jacuzzi?
Wait, wait, wait.  In which direction are they cutting it in half?

Offline JohnnyReb

• In Memoriam
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2011, 12:14:28 PM »
No jacuzzi?
Wait, wait, wait.  In which direction are they cutting it in half?

Well, there was going to be a jacuzzi but the plans were changed to a goldfish pond....and then BoBo stocked it with carp.
“The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of ‘liberalism’, they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened.” - Norman Thomas, U.S. Socialist Party presidential candidate 1940, 1944 and 1948

"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold: its patriotism, its morality, and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Stalin

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2011, 12:49:23 PM »
Well, there was going to be a jacuzzi but the plans were changed to a goldfish pond....and then BoBo stocked it with carp.

That's "koi."  It's in the script, remember? :tongue: :fuelfire:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Karin

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2011, 12:53:19 PM »
  :lmao: :lmao: dandi...I never watched your little sigline animation all the way through till now..... :lmao:

I can't stop laughing!  He throws chum in his face.... :rotf: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

anyway,

Who likes the thought of a solar powered elevator?  12 winos stuck on board a stranded car?  What could go wrong?    

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2011, 01:03:39 PM »
bobbolink  (1000+ posts)        Mon May-16-11 05:22 PM

Response to Reply #5

41. For most, the counseling won't be necessary. I hope they aren't hounded.
 It is downtown, so there are jobs in that area. It was a good way to spark up an old neighborhood, and create low-income housing and please environmentalists, all at one time!

When in the HELL have housing projects EVER sparked up ANY area? Face it, you bums won't own it, and using history, won't f'n take care of it. It'll be a drug-infested, crime-ridden hellhole in NO time. You leeches don't take pride for anything and NO area where there are a ton of jobs is going to openly allow a bunch of projects for bums anywhere NEAR their places of business without some form of protest. Normal people do their best trying to avoid you leech panhandlers as it is.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2011, 02:18:44 PM »
If anything emerges from Bobo the Hobo's ponderously long posting history, it is the fact that NOTHING that could be offered to her could or would ever be enough, or even prove satisfactory to her from the git-go...and that's aside from the obvious effect on the desirability of the new digs six months after all the assorted bums move into the new BumTel. 
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.