Author Topic: grasswire primitive feeds ants to family  (Read 1156 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
grasswire primitive feeds ants to family
« on: January 18, 2011, 06:03:49 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=236x84253

Oh my.

grasswire  (1000+ posts)      Tue Jan-18-11 01:51 PM
Original message

I fed my family ants last night.

Breakfast for supper. Ham and eggs and pancakes. I thought I would use up an old box of pancake mix -- about six months old. We rarely have pancakes and I don't even know why we bought the mix.

Mixed it up -- made the pancakes. Eaten with homemade crabapple jelly. Too carb for me, so I didn't have any.

As I was washing the bowl later, I found a couple of dead ants in the batter. Ack! I checked the last of the mix in the bag. Oh no. Several dead ants in it.

Damn. I fed my family dead ants.

cbayer   (1000+ posts)      Tue Jan-18-11 02:17 PM
Response to Original message

1. Protein

Denninmi  (485 posts)      Tue Jan-18-11 02:43 PM

3. Really, it's NOT a problem.

Ants are actually edible. I took a one-hour nature walk at the local park once about "edible wild foods" -- one of the things we got to harvest and sample were great big, squishy, black carpenter ants crawling on the tree trunks. Not bad, sort of crispy crunchy with an acidic bite from the formic acid with which they sting their prey and their enemies.

Actually, any time you eat any grain product, or much of anything plant based which is commercially prepared, you are getting a certain level of insect residue. The government sets allowable levels of insect contamination in various food products.

I wouldn't worry about it, ESPECIALLY if they don't know. In this case, what they don't know won't hurt them.

You might want to pick up some ant poison bait packs though.

trud  (229 posts)      Tue Jan-18-11 03:35 PM
Response to Reply #3

4. I'd rather have ants in the house than poison bait packs, myself.

Too much poison. Those of you who have heard of Pale Male, the hawk in NY Central Park, may know his mate of some years Lola disappeared a few weeks ago. Probable cause: eating a rodent poisoned with the poison bait the Parks Dept puts out. God forbid they pick up their trash instead of poisoning everything that moves.

Ants in the house? Find where they come in and seal it off.

kestrel91316  (1000+ posts)        Tue Jan-18-11 05:50 PM

5. Just extra protein. I have occasionally baked with buggy flour.

You don't even notice them.

hippywife  (1000+ posts)        Tue Jan-18-11 06:23 PM
MRS. ALFRED PACKER

6. Like everyone else said, I wouldn't sweat it. It won't kill anyone or even make them sick. If I find moths in my flours, I take and sift them out and use it, unless it came that way from the store, then I take it back. I've even told Bill and he has no problem with that. About every five years, I seem to get a moth invasion, I try to keep things well sealed but it's amazing what small spaces they can work themselves into.

Well, considering what hippyhubby Wild Bill eats, of course he has no problem with it.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
Re: grasswire primitive feeds ants to family
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 06:05:49 PM »
We don't have a bug problem, though in the spring we do have an ant problem, but I don't want to take a chance so we keep powdered pancake mix and bisquick in the refrigerator.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 06:09:58 PM »
How about you make some homemade pancakes?  Lazy.

Oh, and EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 06:12:45 PM »
We don't have a bug problem, though in the spring we do have an ant problem, but I don't want to take a chance so we keep powdered pancake mix and bisquick in the refrigerator.

That's a very good idea, one I've used all my adult life.

All foodstuffs that come in boxes or paper, get stashed in the refrigerator.

Cereal.  Flour.  Sugar.  Macaroni.  Spaghetti strands.  Oatmeal.  Corn starch.  Crackers.  Bread.  &c., &c., &c.  

I dunno why I do it; I suspect it's from when I was in college, and lived with some other guys in place that had little white worms that looked like rice haunting the cabinets.

Of course, being a single male with a supersized refrigerator, I got all sorts of room in there.  Sometimes I've even been tempted to stash the dry Friskie's cat food in there too, to keep it clean.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 06:16:44 PM »
That's a very good idea, one I've used all my adult life.

All foodstuffs that come in boxes or paper, get stashed in the refrigerator.

Cereal.  Flour.  Sugar.  Macaroni.  Spaghetti strands.  Oatmeal.  Corn starch.  Crackers.  Bread.  &c., &c., &c.  

I dunno why I do it; I suspect it's from when I was in college, and lived with some other guys in place that had little white worms that looked like rice haunting the cabinets.

Of course, being a single male with a supersized refrigerator, I got all sorts of room in there.  Sometimes I've even been tempted to stash the dry Friskie's cat food in there too, to keep it clean.

I think it keeps it fresh longer also.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline true_blood

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 06:25:13 PM »
That's epic! :nelson:

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 06:44:32 PM »
What is this family she speaks of? DUmmy grasswire, at last report, was still squatting in a charity room over a friends garage, on a quarter acre "farmette" up in Wisconsin, where she has been for the past couple of years. The arrangement, she told us at the time, was to last for 6 months at most. The friend has learned the hard way about the danger of allowing a DUmbass to get its nose under the tent.

So the "family" is her, and maybe a budgie and a stray dog, or perhaps her host family has begun demanding that she serve as a housekeeper in return for the free crib. If it's the latter, she repaid their generosity by surreptitiously feeding them bugs.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 07:44:31 PM »
What is this family she speaks of? DUmmy grasswire, at last report, was still squatting in a charity room over a friends garage, on a quarter acre "farmette" up in Wisconsin, where she has been for the past couple of years. The arrangement, she told us at the time, was to last for 6 months at most. The friend has learned the hard way about the danger of allowing a DUmbass to get its nose under the tent.

So the "family" is her, and maybe a budgie and a stray dog, or perhaps her host family has begun demanding that she serve as a housekeeper in return for the free crib. If it's the latter, she repaid their generosity by surreptitiously feeding them bugs.

I've never been able to figure out the grasswire primitive's family situation.

She's married, and old enough to have adult children, apparently some of whom are married.

Other than that, ???
apres moi, le deluge

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 07:46:16 PM »
Sounds tasty.

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 10:06:51 PM »
My dad fed me chocolate ants once. I liked 'em.  Sweet & crunchy.  :-)
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 10:20:28 PM »
Ever eat a pine tree?  Many parts are edible.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 10:53:52 PM »
^5 for the new avatar frank! Them was the days of real TV! Hoss is the spittin' image of my Step Dad down to all his expressions! God rest his soul! He was a pretty good 'ol boy after he found the Church.

Oh, and anything dry meal we keep in plastic or glass jars. Just makes sense, since some of that stuff has no expiration. I'll bet I have corn meal over a coupla years old! Still makes excellent corn bread or "mush". Don't know if y'all know what "mush" is, but basically it's breakfast oatmeal only with corn meal.

Keepin' dry goods in a cardboard box! We don't call 'em DUmmies for nuttin'!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 11:17:21 PM »
Hey DUmbasses, how about cleaning your f'n home once in a while?
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 11:36:56 PM »
Ever eat a pine tree?  Many parts are edible.

Euell Gibbons!
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 12:05:57 AM »

No, not until there is a government program that gives the DUmmies funds for a maid.
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 06:59:55 AM »
We just put everything into Tupperware containers. Problem solved.

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2011, 08:44:01 AM »

That is what kills me about this post.  Yeah, a few ants in your food won't harm most people, but who would tell the whole internet that your kitchen is dirty enough to have that many ants and that you didn't even notice them while cooking? 

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2011, 08:58:09 AM »
  who would tell the whole internet that your kitchen is dirty enough to have that many ants and that you didn't even notice them while cooking? 
A DUmmy would, thats who.  I'm sure some how it is all Bush's fault.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2011, 09:08:48 AM »
hippywife  (1000+ posts)        Tue Jan-18-11 06:23 PM
MRS. ALFRED PACKER

6. Like everyone else said, I wouldn't sweat it. It won't kill anyone or even make them sick. If I find moths in my flours, I take and sift them out and use it, unless it came that way from the store, then I take it back. I've even told Bill and he has no problem with that. About every five years, I seem to get a moth invasion, I try to keep things well sealed but it's amazing what small spaces they can work themselves into.
So anyway, what's up with the hateful DUmmy Mrs. Packer having wormy flour? If you believe her claims, she bakes enough to go through at least 25 pounds of flour a week. She must have it shipped in from Somalia.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 09:17:15 AM »
So anyway, what's up with the hateful DUmmy Mrs. Packer having wormy flour? If you believe her claims, she bakes enough to go through at least 25 pounds of flour a week. She must have it shipped in from Somalia.

I dunno if you were around, sir, when I brought over Mrs. Alfred Packer's experience with African goat stew.

Or whatever it was; it was "African" something.

The ingredients were remarkably similar with Greek goat stew and Paraguyan goat stew and Annamese goat stew and Rhode Island goat stew and Nepalese goat stew and Iwo Jiman goat stew.

It was obvious what was going on; Mrs. Alfred Packer wanted to "empathize" with her African brothers across the ocean, share in their sufferings and travails, absorb their sorrows, help carry their burdens and afflictions, and so she and Wild Bill dined upon African goat stew.

Or whatever it was.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline AllosaursRus

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2011, 01:20:50 PM »
I dunno if you were around, sir, when I brought over Mrs. Alfred Packer's experience with African goat stew.

Or whatever it was; it was "African" something.

The ingredients were remarkably similar with Greek goat stew and Paraguyan goat stew and Annamese goat stew and Rhode Island goat stew and Nepalese goat stew and Iwo Jiman goat stew.

It was obvious what was going on; Mrs. Alfred Packer wanted to "empathize" with her African brothers across the ocean, share in their sufferings and travails, absorb their sorrows, help carry their burdens and afflictions, and so she and Wild Bill dined upon African goat stew.

Or whatever it was.

That's just disgusting! The closest I get to goat anything is venison! The stuff is stringy as hall! Not my idea of appetizing! The milk seems to leave an aftertaste, too! Yuck!

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2011, 03:13:18 PM »
Still makes excellent corn bread or "mush". Don't know if y'all know what "mush" is, but basically it's breakfast oatmeal only with corn meal.

We call them Grits round here.  :-)

Offline AllosaursRus

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2011, 03:40:16 PM »
We call them Grits round here.  :-)

Naw! Grits are white, and mush is yellow! Ya have to soak yellow corn meal for a coupla hrs then boil it like ya do oatmeal, to make "mush"! We take the leftovers and refrigerate it, cut it into slices and fry it in butter! Great stuff with butter and syrup!

Online Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2011, 03:45:17 PM »
The ants I wouldn't worry about but old pancake mix can kill you;

What may surprise you, however, is that the mold spores (including penicillin ones) that can grow in exposed, aged, stale pancake mix can also contain penicillin spores (as well as other mold spores or even mites) that can cause an allergic response including anaphylaxis, the most severe allergic response.

You should never eat expired pancake mix.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline AllosaursRus

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2011, 04:17:03 PM »
The ants I wouldn't worry about but old pancake mix can kill you;

You should never eat expired pancake mix.

KC

We use Bisquick! Never lasts long enough to expire!