Author Topic: weird lamp  (Read 12876 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
weird lamp
« on: October 30, 2014, 07:53:26 PM »
Because it’s starting to get darker earlier, this evening for the first time since last winter, I turned on the three-way lamp in the living room.  The living room’s rather large, and needs more than two ceiling lights during winter.

This was the first time I’d used this particular lamp, which I’d gotten at a garage sale last spring.  I’d chosen it because it’s rather aesthetic, made of fake marble and crystal, and about as heavy as lead.

However, I forgot to pay attention to one little detail.

The “marble” and the lamp-shade are dark green, almost black.

And so now I’m wondering; what is the purpose of a lamp whose shade is so dark hardly any of the light from the bulb shines out?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: weird lamp
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 07:58:05 PM »
That's funny.

I think WalMart and Hobby Lobby sell individual lamp shades.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 07:59:39 PM »
That's funny.

I think WalMart and Hobby Lobby sell individual lamp shades.

Well, yeah.

But I'm curious as to why a lamp-shade would be dark in the first place.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 08:00:44 PM »

And so now I’m wondering; what is the purpose of a lamp whose shade is so dark hardly any of the light from the bulb shines out?

Mood lighting. Bainesbane will love it...
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Chris_

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 08:40:09 PM »
Well, yeah.

But I'm curious as to why a lamp-shade would be dark in the first place.
Because they match?

I've had a couple of lamps like that.  They were nearly useless.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Dori

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 09:12:17 PM »

Probably why it was put into the garage sale.   :-)

Just get a new shade, but try to replace it with one that has the same attachment feature.  There are a lot of differences in shades.

“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 09:23:23 PM »
Probably why it was put into the garage sale.   :-)

Just get a new shade, but try to replace it with one that has the same attachment feature.  There are a lot of differences in shades.
Really? :???:

I thought they were nearly universal with the post hole in the center that you screwed the nut on to hold it in place.

Offline longview

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 09:26:26 PM »
Aren't the lamps with dark shades for reading?  To focus more of the light only downward where it is needed without lighting up the whole room? 

I can see where that would be useful if one had it in the corner of their bedroom, by a chair.  They could read without disturbing their husband/wife who was sleeping.

Offline Dori

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 09:33:39 PM »
Really? :???:

I thought they were nearly universal with the post hole in the center that you screwed the nut on to hold it in place.

You would think, but I've learned the hard way they don't always fit.

There are some that just clip right onto the bulb, or the post hole part sits to high or low or not wide enough for the style of lamp.

“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline Chris_

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 09:34:54 PM »
Ooh.  I'm accustomed to the first type (washer/reflector).  Guess I don't do enough estate sales.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 09:35:57 PM »
Aren't the lamps with dark shades for reading?  To focus more of the light only downward where it is needed without lighting up the whole room? 
I think I know what I'm getting my mom for Christmas.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 10:00:46 PM »

I can see where that would be useful if one had it in the corner of their bedroom, by a chair.  They could read without disturbing their husband/wife who was sleeping.

Just before coming back here, I'd taken the green ceramic three-way lamp with the big white shade out of the bedroom, putting that into the living room, and placing this other one on the bedside table in the bedroom.

You're right; it deflects the light downward, illuminating what one's reading in bed.  And by fortuitous chance, the height--the bedside table, the lamp, the bed--are exactly the optimal heights.
apres moi, le deluge