Author Topic: MLB : instant replay by august 1  (Read 6784 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
MLB : instant replay by august 1
« on: June 14, 2008, 09:04:35 PM »

I already hate it.  it's currently only being considered for home runs, but it will be used
for balls and strikes before you know it.

Managers would not initiate instant replay under current plan

In an instant replay plan currently being considered by Major League Baseball, video review of disputed calls would take place at a central location and would be the responsibility of the umpire crew chief at each game, according to an umpires' union memo obtained by ESPN The Magazine.

Major League Baseball is attempting to institute instant replay on home run calls before the end of this season, according to two sources familiar with those discussions. However, in order to accomplish that, MLB still needs to settle on a replay system that would satisfy everyone involved, from the umpires to commissioner Bud Selig.

An outline of how instant replay might work was detailed in the memo, which was sent to umpires by their union this week. On Friday, USA Today first reported the umpires were advised that instant replay could be in use as soon as Aug. 1.

Major League Baseball officials said Friday that the details of the plan being discussed are still preliminary.

If the replay plan laid out in the memo is adopted, it will differ significantly from what is used in the National Football League, because major league managers would have no power to prompt a replay. In the NFL, head coaches initiate the use of replay, except in the last two minutes of each half, when league officials determine which calls should be reviewed.

According to the memo, the replay will not be done on-site at each ballpark, but in a replay war room at Major League Baseball's Advanced Media offices in New York. The chief of each umpiring crew would have means to communicate with the war room directly.

Specifics at this link

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Re: MLB : instant replay by august 1
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 04:39:23 AM »

I already hate it.  it's currently only being considered for home runs, but it will be used
for balls and strikes before you know it.

Managers would not initiate instant replay under current plan

In an instant replay plan currently being considered by Major League Baseball, video review of disputed calls would take place at a central location and would be the responsibility of the umpire crew chief at each game, according to an umpires' union memo obtained by ESPN The Magazine.

Major League Baseball is attempting to institute instant replay on home run calls before the end of this season, according to two sources familiar with those discussions. However, in order to accomplish that, MLB still needs to settle on a replay system that would satisfy everyone involved, from the umpires to commissioner Bud Selig.

An outline of how instant replay might work was detailed in the memo, which was sent to umpires by their union this week. On Friday, USA Today first reported the umpires were advised that instant replay could be in use as soon as Aug. 1.

Major League Baseball officials said Friday that the details of the plan being discussed are still preliminary.

If the replay plan laid out in the memo is adopted, it will differ significantly from what is used in the National Football League, because major league managers would have no power to prompt a replay. In the NFL, head coaches initiate the use of replay, except in the last two minutes of each half, when league officials determine which calls should be reviewed.

According to the memo, the replay will not be done on-site at each ballpark, but in a replay war room at Major League Baseball's Advanced Media offices in New York. The chief of each umpiring crew would have means to communicate with the war room directly.

Specifics at this link

So, then, could the managers suggest that they go to the replay?  I can see the umps deciding that this will never get used, and the same situations that happened earlier in the year to both the Mets and Yankees happening again.  Neither blown HR call affected the outcome of the game, which was a good thing.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 04:56:07 AM »
As long as Steinbrenner is not allowed anywhere near the war room, I have no problem with instant replay for home runs.    That is sometimes a very tough call to make from their positions on the field (depending on the park), so assistance in this regard is necessary. 

Calling someone out at the plate, or strikes and balls, etc. should never be allowed at the umpire has (or should have) a clear unobstructed view to the play/pitch.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 07:11:54 PM »
They'll try to start it out innocently for "controversial calls", but, it'll eventually infiltrate every level of the game from pitch calls, balking, runner ties, etc.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline morningAngel

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 07:18:02 PM »
 :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: and........:yawn:

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 07:20:21 PM »
:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: and........:yawn:

HEY!  this is some seriously earth shattering shit we're talking about.   :hammer: :censored:

:-)

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 07:29:48 PM »
bad idea, umps make the calls 96% of those calls are good - baseball is a freaking long enough game already.
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline morningAngel

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 08:07:01 PM »

HEY!  this is some seriously earth shattering shit we're talking about.   :hammer: :censored:

:-)

:whatever:

Offline Flame

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 08:34:31 PM »
I don't like it, either....games are won and lost by calls on more plays than just homeruns.   It's just not feasible to do replay on all those situations.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 09:14:12 PM »
I don't like it, either....games are won and lost by calls on more plays than just homeruns.   It's just not feasible to do replay on all those situations.

yep.  it seems to me that is a great reason to not do it at all. 

bug selig strikes again.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 05:25:18 AM »
On Sunday night, umpire Bob Davidson, the crew chief, overruled third-base ump Mike Reilly and incorrectly turned Carlos Delgado's three-run home run into a foul ball at Yankee Stadium. Replays indicated that the ball hit the foul pole.

On Wednesday night, Alex Rodriguez had a homer taken away from him when umps called his hit a double. Replays showed that A-Rod's shot hit well above the fence in right-centerfield, off a yellow staircase. And on Monday night at Minute Maid Park in Houston, Cubs catcher Geovany Soto was credited with an inside-the-park three-run home run despite replays showing that it should have been an automatic home run.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/ny-spreplay235699232may23,0,355397.story

Four blown calls in one week.    It happens all the time.     Blown HR calls change the entire dynamic of the game.    In some parks it is very difficult for the umpire to gage where the ball fell. 

Having seen many blown calls hurt the Red Sox I have no problem with this at all.

Selig is against this by the way.  He is backing down though from that position because there are too many blown calls. 

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 07:02:00 AM »
:( If baseball turns to instant replay, guys like me wouldn't be able to go on the internet and bitch all day long that my team really won the game!  And where's the fun in that?

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 11:45:29 AM »
bad idea, umps make the calls 96% of those calls are good - baseball is a freaking long enough game already.

what is the number one priority of MLB ??

#1. make money

#2 maintain image to make more money

they have no choice  but to do replay, since every fan/talking head has a zillion replays at their fingertips after every bigplay/game everyday ... and right now, MLB &  the NBA are looking pretty flaky on officiating....

and w/  MLB going more pay per view &/or having their own networks very soon, they want the games to go longer so they can SELL MORE COMMERCIALS ...

TV networks are going the way of the horse n buggy & will not be able to handle longer MLB games anyway...

they will use full scale replay w/in 10 years  & prolly getting into arbitrary rules changes yearly like the NFL has...

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 11:53:45 AM »

people forget that for every person that is pissed off by a blown call, there is, in theory if not in actual practice, a relieved person that was pulling for the team that got the gift.  it's part of the game.

and MLB has done everything in it's power to shorten games, JCC, including threatening umpires that don't call borderline strikes, in an effort to shorten the game so that it fits into TV broadcast timeslots.  but overall gametime has no effect on commercials in the first place;  timeslots for commercials only occur between innings and half innings.  unless you are proposing that MLB add a half dozen outs to regulation play, you aren't making an impact on commercial airtime.

there is already an MLB network set to launch in 2009.  the fact that cable operators were insisting on making that channel a premium service was part of what had MLB threatening to give directv exclusive rights to their broadcast package, MLB Extra Innings.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 12:05:51 PM »

people forget that for every person that is pissed off by a blown call, there is, in theory if not in actual practice, a relieved person that was pulling for the team that got the gift.  it's part of the game.

Being a Dodgers fan you wouldn't understand this (), but when you are in a pennant race and it's bottom of the ninth and Manny was robbed of a 3 run home run then damn it Skippy, I could care less about the relieved Yankee fan.  (<----- well in all honesty I could care less about the Yankee fan anyway).

Rat bastard Umps need a babysitter.    Where is my pitchfork!!! 

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2008, 12:12:48 PM »
:( If baseball turns to instant replay, guys like me wouldn't be able to go on the internet and bitch all day long that my team really won the game!  And where's the fun in that?

Phillies suck.   Lucky break yesterday.  Red Sox will take the next two games.   

Cough.

What??

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2008, 12:19:36 PM »

Being a Dodgers fan you wouldn't understand this (), but when you are in a pennant race and it's bottom of the ninth and Manny was robbed of a 3 run home run then damn it Skippy, I could care less about the relieved Yankee fan.  (<----- well in all honesty I could care less about the Yankee fan anyway).

some sox fans are priceless.  they suddenly think that the rest of us forgot the 86 years preceding 2004. :whatever: :tongue:
bad calls are a purely random event.  (well, other than in the NBA, where they are a revenue opportunity :-))  they are not specifically targeted at manny.   

Offline Jim

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2008, 12:28:05 PM »
On Sunday night, umpire Bob Davidson, the crew chief, overruled third-base ump Mike Reilly and incorrectly turned Carlos Delgado's three-run home run into a foul ball at Yankee Stadium. Replays indicated that the ball hit the foul pole.

On Wednesday night, Alex Rodriguez had a homer taken away from him when umps called his hit a double. Replays showed that A-Rod's shot hit well above the fence in right-centerfield, off a yellow staircase. And on Monday night at Minute Maid Park in Houston, Cubs catcher Geovany Soto was credited with an inside-the-park three-run home run despite replays showing that it should have been an automatic home run.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/ny-spreplay235699232may23,0,355397.story

Four blown calls in one week.    It happens all the time.     Blown HR calls change the entire dynamic of the game.    In some parks it is very difficult for the umpire to gage where the ball fell. 

Having seen many blown calls hurt the Red Sox I have no problem with this at all.

Selig is against this by the way.  He is backing down though from that position because there are too many blown calls. 

jumbotrons are forcing this especially as the calibre of umping has been on the decline for decades.

put a replay ump in the booth and if he can spot a missed call, he calls it.  if the play procedes and he can't make it in time, too bad.  THAT will shorten games !
My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

What's the difference between Sarah Palin and Barack Obama?

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

The other kills her own food.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2008, 12:34:24 PM »

I would actually suggest that it is rather amazing the number of calls that initially look wrong, but upon slow motion review, are proven right.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2008, 12:35:38 PM »
Well, baseball fans -- your already long and boring game will now be treated to the sight of:

for a goodly part of the game.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2008, 12:46:45 PM »

and MLB has done everything in it's power to shorten games, JCC, including threatening umpires that don't call borderline strikes, in an effort to shorten the game so that it fits into TV broadcast timeslots.  but overall gametime has no effect on commercials in the first place;  timeslots for commercials only occur between innings and half innings.  unless you are proposing that MLB add a half dozen outs to regulation play, you aren't making an impact on commercial airtime.

there is already an MLB network set to launch in 2009.  the fact that cable operators were insisting on making that channel a premium service was part of what had MLB threatening to give directv exclusive rights to their broadcast package, MLB Extra Innings.

yep...

I say MLB execs are gonna copy the NFL PLAYBOOK on how to make THE MOST MONEY of all pro sports in the USA ...

instant replay, more commercial time, less $$$ going to networks & more in their own pockets etc.etc.

baseball fans at stadiums have already become strattified in big markets...meaning, if you ain't got ALOT of extra money &/or seasons tickets, forget going to a baseball game ...

it costs a few hundred bucks to take your family to watch a big market team & enjoy what is offered, so whats another few hundred bucks to watch your favorite team on DTV every season ??

we get the Red Sox as part of the sports package up here on DTV, but, THATS IT.... for the skankees games, my wife has to pay $200 to get the YES network (& I won't let her :naughty:)....

MLB's new generation of fans have proven that they can get lied to, overcharged & overtaxed, all to watch their favorite junkie steroid freaks hit a pumped up ball over short walls, so, anything else the MLB execs need to do to squeeze the very compliant fan base out of more money, is a go....

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2008, 12:48:44 PM »

yep...

I say MLB execs are gonna copy the NFL PLAYBOOK on how to make THE MOST MONEY of all pro sports in the USA ...

instant replay, more commercial time, less $$$ going to networks & more in their own pockets etc.etc.

baseball fans at stadiums have already become strattified in big markets...meaning, if you ain't got ALOT of extra money &/or seasons tickets, forget going to a baseball game ...

it costs a few hundred bucks to take your family to watch a big market team & enjoy what is offered, so whats another few hundred bucks to watch your favorite team on DTV every season ??

we get the Red Sox as part of the sports package up here on DTV, but, THATS IT.... for the skankees games, my wife has to pay $200 to get the YES network (& I won't let her :naughty:)....

MLB's new generation of fans have proven that they can get lied to, overcharged & overtaxed, all to watch their favorite junkie steroid freaks hit a pumped up ball over short walls, so, anything else the MLB execs need to do to squeeze the very compliant fan base out of more money, is a go....

it's a thousand wonders that you haven't been abducted by aliens yet.

:whatever: :whatever: :whatever: :whatever: :whatever:

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2008, 01:10:55 PM »

yep...

the goal of ALL business is to make money...

the goals of the largerst is to find any & all ways to make THE MOST MONEY...

MLB is one of  the largest & what I've laid out here is the path here to the most obvious business plan available that seems the most logical...

you seem to forget that fan bases of the 80's-early 90's gave MLB the FINGER for losing seasons &/or even the thought of primadonnas controlling the game...

MLB was losing their ass's & the stadiums were empty....yet it only cost 1/4 of what it does today to enjoy a game at the stadium & it cost NOTHING to watch big market teams on TV a couple times per week...

today, not the case ....

fans are paying more than ever & even one scandal after another, they fill the stands & buy more stuff year after year....

the texas rangers are no better today than they were 20-25 years ago in their podunk stadium ....and yet 'THE NEW' ranger stadium is packed all the time these days.,..... not the case 20-25 years ago...

the only time we went to those games was if the rangers had a breath of life in them or, they were playing the yankees/dodgers ....that was it...
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 01:15:56 PM by john c calhoun »

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2008, 01:26:00 PM »

yep...

the goal of ALL business is to make money...

the goals of the largerst is to find any & all ways to make THE MOST MONEY...

MLB is one of  the largest & what I've laid out here is the path here to the most obvious business plan available that seems the most logical...

you seem to forget that fan bases of the 80's-early 90's gave MLB the FINGER for losing seasons &/or even the thought of primadonnas controlling the game...

MLB was losing their ass's & the stadiums were empty....yet it only cost 1/4 of what it does today to enjoy a game at the stadium & it cost NOTHING to watch big market teams on TV a couple times per week...

today, not the case ....

fans are paying more than ever & even one scandal after another, they fill the stands & buy more stuff year after year....

the texas rangers are no better today than they were 20-25 years ago in their podunk stadium ....and yet 'THE NEW' ranger stadium is packed all the time these days.,..... not the case 20-25 years ago...

the only time we went to those games was if the rangers had a breath of life in them or, they were playing the yankees/dodgers ....that was it...

I was wrong.  even if you were abducted by aliens, they would just give you right back.  and then probably leave our solar system forever.

:-) :-)

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2008, 02:50:50 PM »

some sox fans are priceless.  they suddenly think that the rest of us forgot the 86 years preceding 2004. :whatever: :tongue:
bad calls are a purely random event.  (well, other than in the NBA, where they are a revenue opportunity :-)they are not specifically targeted at manny.   

Two words -- Joe. West. 

You don't have to post an apology in the thread, I will take it by PM to save you some face.