Author Topic: Black players cheer Obama's historic win  (Read 1560 times)

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
Black players cheer Obama's historic win
« on: June 07, 2008, 07:29:35 AM »
Black players cheer Obama's historic win
By Matt Gelb, Todd Zolecki and Ashley Fox

Inquirer Staff Writers

Jimmy Rollins is ready and willing to lend a hand to Barack Obama's campaign for president.

"He can wear my jersey and take batting practice," the Phillies shortstop said yesterday. "Heck, yeah."

A day after Obama secured enough delegates to become the first African American to be a major party's nominee for president, several black Philadelphia athletes reveled in the history of the moment.

"This was something a lot of us won't really understand the significance of this period, probably for some years now," Eagles safety Brian Dawkins said yesterday. "To think we had a woman and an African American running for a party, you give me five years ago, 10 years ago, 20 years ago, that's absolutely totally unheard of, to have so-called minorities running for that office. This is a huge, huge day and time."

Obama's challenger for the Democratic Party nomination is Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (N.Y.). She has not yet conceded the race, but Clinton aides said she would endorse Obama and bring a close to her campaign at an event Saturday in Washington.

Obama, who represents Illinois, will face the presumptive Republican nominee, Sen. John McCain (Ariz.).

Rollins said Obama has superstar appeal, much like Ronald Reagan, and thinks the American public is ready to elect a black man as president.

"It's just time," Rollins said. "America is so much different than it was in light of everything that has happened. People want something new. This has been going on for so many years and, at this point, it's getting worse, so why not try something new? Maybe Barack can be that answer."

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/19558029.html

Noooooooo!!!!  :bawl: :banghead:  These are two of my all-time favorite players!  Why Dawkins and Rollins, huh?  Why not Terrell Owens and Rodney Peete?  Goddammit!!  :banghead:

:lalala:  I'm not listening  :lalala:

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: Black players cheer Obama's historic win
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 08:59:51 AM »
Another reason why I don't give athletes (regardless of party) much credence unless and until they get their heads out of their asses and into a book.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 01:28:03 PM »
Noooooooo!!!!  :bawl: :banghead:  These are two of my all-time favorite players!  Why Dawkins and Rollins, huh?  Why not Terrell Owens and Rodney Peete?  Goddammit!!  :banghead:

T.O. and Peety, LOL   :rotf: :rotf:

Meh. Sounds like some jack-a$$ reporter went out and sought these opinions for an article the reporter wanted to write anyway. Fark him and his paper. Some 90% of blacks are for BHO. I'm sure that includes many of my own favorite athletes and other role models/heroes etc. I could not care less. IMO it's just typical biased reporting by the Inquirer.

However, if my man Walter Jones or even LeBron James were to go out making speeches and doing ads for that Commie Obama I'd be greatly disapointed. Vote for the man if you must, send him your money if you wish, but your political opinions mean jack-$hit to me.

"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 02:09:29 PM »
Jimmy Rollins is ready and willing to lend a hand to Barack Obama's campaign for president.

"He can wear my jersey and take batting practice," the Phillies shortstop said yesterday. "Heck, yeah."

The man can't even bowl a 300 game.  I really don't think he's up to hitting a home run in a major leauge ball park.  :rofl:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Tantal

• Right Wing Hardliner
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 01:57:38 PM »
This will all sound great until they find themselves paying a few hundred thousand a year more in taxes. There's nothing more likely to turn someone into a conservative than working hard for something only to have it confiscated by Uncle Sam.
Never demand that which you are incapable of taking by force, DUmmie.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 02:01:30 PM »
If I were black, and Barack's the best my race had to offer, I'd be pretty pissed off. Hell, I'm already pissed off McCain is ours. ...then again, I don't care what color the person is so long as they share my views.  :whatever:
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site