Author Topic: primitive makes a mess of spaghetti sauce  (Read 2505 times)

Offline Inga

• Be Ready
Re: primitive makes a mess of spaghetti sauce
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2013, 12:35:13 PM »
This is the worst spaghetti sauce recipe I've ever heard of.At less they could use a cookbook. Bad!Bad!Bad! Carrots, Garbanzo bean???
There will always be "Battles" to fight.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2013, 01:15:00 PM »
Seriously, why do they always have to **** food up by adding a ton of crap?

Here is my recipe for spaghetti and meatballs. My mom got it from our Italian neighbor when I was a child.

Meatballs

2lbs of ground beef
1 C Parmesan cheese
1 clove of garlic, minced (I use the kind out of a jar because I don't regularly have garlic on hand. I eyeball the amount of garlic, usually double).
Salt to taste (the original recipe called for Accent (MSG), I know DUmmies and some here would cringe at the thought of adding accent to anything but there really is no substitute that works as well. I still use it)
1 C bread crumbs
1/4 C parsley
6 eggs

Mix it by hand, I tried using my kitchenaid mixer and it over mixes the meatballs. Form into ice cream scoop size meatballs. I mean why bother if you can't take an actual bite of the meatballs? Originally you were supposed to brown in oil but I spray Pam on a foil lined cookie sheet, flipping up the sides to catch the grease).

While the meatballs are browning in the oven make the sauce.

2 LARGE cans of tomato paste
Salt to taste
1 tsp of sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 C of Parmesan cheese
Fill extra large pot or Dutch oven 2/3rd full of water (I use tomato juice, a couple of large bottles/cans add water if needed)
Bay leaf (2 large or 3 small) take them out before serving

Add the browned meatballs to the sauce then add fresh mushrooms (not in the original recipe), cover and simmer all day.  I add a lot of mushrooms,  three or four packages. At first they almost make the sauce overflow but they obviously cook down.  About two hours before I serve I take the lid off so the sauce thickens. Stir often all day long.

Serve over mostaccioli
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 01:21:52 PM by BEG »

Offline Inga

• Be Ready
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2013, 01:18:42 PM »

Here is my recipe for spaghetti and meatballs. My mom got it from our Italian neighbor when I was a child.

Meatballs

2lbs of ground beef
1 C Parmesan cheese
1 clove of garlic, minced (I use the kind out of a jar because I don't regularly have garlic on hand. I eyeball the amount of garlic, usually double).
Salt to taste (the original recipe called for Accent (MSG), I know DUmmies and some here would cringe at the though of adding accent to anything but there really is no substitute that works as well. I still use it)
1 C bread crumbs
1/4 C parsley
6 eggs

Mix it by hand, I tried using my kitchenaid mixer and it over mixes the meatballs. Form into ice cream scoop size meatballs. I mean why bother if you can't take an actual bite of the meatballs? Originally you were supposed to brown in oil but I spray Pam on a foil lined cookie sheet, flipping up the sides to catch the grease).

While to meatballs are browning in the oven make the sauce.

Salt to taste
1 tsp of sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 C of Parmesan cheese
Fill extra large pot or Dutch oven 2/3rd full of water (I use tomato juice, a couple of large bottles/cans add water if needed)

Add the browned meatballs to the sauce then add fresh mushrooms (not in the original recipe) and cover and simmer all day.  I add a lot of mushrooms,  three or four packages. At first they almost make the sauce overflow but they obviously cook down.  About two hours before I serve I take the lid off so the sauce thickens. Stir often all day long.

Serve over mostaccioli
Now that's Italian! Thanks Beg,I'm going to try yours if you don't mind. Always looking for a good recipe.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2013, 01:20:28 PM »
Now that's Italian! Thanks Beg,I'm going to try yours if you don't mind. Always looking for a good recipe.

You won't believe how good your house will smell while it's cooking. Let me know what you think after you try it.  :wink:

Offline Dori

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2013, 01:21:35 PM »

Meatballs

2lbs of ground beef
1 C Parmesan cheese
Salt to taste (the original recipe called for Accent (MSG), I know DUmmies and some here would cringe at the though of adding accent to anything but there really is no substitute that works as well. I still use it)
1 C bread crumbs
1/4 C parsley
6 eggs

While to meatballs are browning in the oven make the sauce.

Salt to taste
1 tsp of sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 C of Parmesan cheese

Add the browned meatballs to the sauce then add fresh mushrooms (not in the original recipe) and cover and simmer all day.  I add a lot of mushrooms,  three or four packages. At first they almost make the sauce overflow but they obviously cook down.  About two hours before I serve I take the lid off so the sauce thickens. Stir often all day long.

Serve over mostaccioli

Sounds good.  I'm going to try your meatballs.   :)  Never thought of using that many eggs.  

Must be what holds them together, which has always been my problem.
“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2013, 01:25:21 PM »
Sounds good.  I'm going to try your meatballs.   :)  Never thought of using that many eggs.  

Must be what holds them together, which has always been my problem.

Yes, I'm sure the health/calorie conscious people will not like my recipe but its not like you eat it everyday or even once every few weeks.

Offline Dori

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2013, 01:36:44 PM »
Yes, I'm sure the health/calorie conscious people will not like my recipe but its not like you eat it everyday or even once every few weeks.

My grandmother lived on a farm and raised her own chickens and pigs.  They had eggs and pork everyday of their lives. She lived to be 93 and didn't have a heart condition.  So I'm not one to buy the food cautionary tales.
“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2013, 01:38:57 PM »
guardian (2,162 posts)    Wed Mar 13, 2013, 04:09 PM

22. Add raw whole potato to absorb acidity. Add raw whole carrot to add natural sweetness. Remove the whole potato/carrot prior to serving. You are making a huge batch. So I don't know how that scales up.

That is what sugar is for.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2013, 01:41:17 PM »
My grandmother lived on a farm and raised her own chickens and pigs.  They had eggs and pork everyday of their lives. She lived to be 93 and didn't have a heart condition.  So I'm not one to buy the food cautionary tales.

Great, I'm the same. Use the 80/20 ground beef then, it adds more flavor. Frank is going to hate me.  :-)

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2013, 01:47:02 PM »

Meatballs

2lbs of ground beef
1 C Parmesan cheese
Salt to taste (the original recipe called for Accent (MSG), I know DUmmies and some here would cringe at the thought of adding accent to anything but there really is no substitute that works as well. I still use it)
1 C bread crumbs
1/4 C parsley
6 eggs

While the meatballs are browning in the oven make the sauce.

Salt to taste
1 tsp of sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 C of Parmesan cheese

Add the browned meatballs to the sauce then add fresh mushrooms (not in the original recipe), cover and simmer all day.  I add a lot of mushrooms,  three or four packages. At first they almost make the sauce overflow but they obviously cook down.  About two hours before I serve I take the lid off so the sauce thickens. Stir often all day long.

Serve over mostaccioli

Forgot the peas.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2013, 01:54:00 PM »
Forgot the peas.

Are you on my Facebook page?   :-)

Offline Inga

• Be Ready
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2013, 02:16:04 PM »
You won't believe how good your house will smell while it's cooking. Let me know what you think after you try it.  :wink:
Will do,Cooking it Sunday.
Thanks.

Offline tiny1

• Probationary (Probie)
  • I love someone with Autism
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2013, 02:32:53 PM »
I know I am a newbie, but I can, and do, make great spaghetti sauce.  First, I make the basic tomato sauce.  I make batches that amount to about 16-18 quarts during garden season.  So all I have to do is grab a jar, and proceed.

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onions
2 teaspoons minced garlic (2 cloves)
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 (28-ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes(I used the canned ones, because they are the ripest tomatoes you can find, and simpler.  They use tomatoes that are about to be overripe, since they can them, anyway)
2 (15-ounce) cans tomato sauce
3 tablespoons tomato paste
2 cups water
1 teaspoon sugar
1 (3-inch piece) Parmesan rind
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves

Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, salt, crushed red pepper, oregano and black pepper, and cook, stirring,  about 5-6 minutes. Place the tomatoes in a large bowl and squeeze to break into small pieces. Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, and sugar to the pot with the onion mixture, and stir well. Add the Parmesan rind. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Lower the heat to medium-low, and simmer uncovered for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally with a long-handled wooden spoon, until flavors have come together and sauce is thickened. Stir in the basil.  Preserve as needed.

10 cups homemade tomato sauce, or you can use store bought sauce.

For the meatballs:

1 large egg
1 pound lean ground beef(Sometimes I use 3/4 beef and 1/4 sweet Italian sausage)
1/2 cup chopped yellow onions
1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon chopped  parsley leaves
1 teaspoon  chopped basil leaves
1 teaspoon  chopped oregano leaves
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon creole seasoning
1/2 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano

**Notice, I do not use bread crumbs or other filler.  Why?  The egg, cheese and herbs bind together the meat, just fine.  Meatballs taste better without fillers.

For the Spaghetti:

1 pound spaghetti, cooked according to package directions
Salt, for seasoning cooking water
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

Place the Basic Red Sauce in a large pot. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Place all the remaining meatball ingredients in a large mixing bowl.  Mix well with hands, then form the meat into balls by rolling about 2 tablespoons of meat between your hands. Place meatballs on a plate as they are formed. (wet hands, slightly.  Keeps from sticking)  When all the meatballs are formed, gently place the balls into the sauce 1 at a time using a long handled spoon. Be careful - bubbling sauce splatters! Simmer the sauce uncovered, and allow the meatballs to sit undisturbed for 10 minutes before stirring. Stir the meatballs into the sauce when they rise to the top.

Simmer for an additional 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the sauce from sticking to the bottom of the pan.  You can add mushrooms, peppers, or anything else.

While sauce is simmering, cook the spaghetti in boiling salted water to suit your taste. Strain and toss with the olive oil. Keep warm until ready to serve.
A labor of love.  I have little time in the evenings, so I can the sauce.  When it comes time for the spaghet, I open a jar, and get busy.  Enjoy.

War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over. -- Gen William T. Sherman

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2013, 02:39:58 PM »
I know I am a newbie, but I can, and do, make great spaghetti sauce.  First, I make the basic tomato sauce.  I make batches that amount to about 16-18 quarts during garden season.  So all I have to do is grab a jar, and proceed.

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onions
2 teaspoons minced garlic (2 cloves)
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 (28-ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes(I used the canned ones, because they are the ripest tomatoes you can find, and simpler.  They use tomatoes that are about to be overripe, since they can them, anyway)
2 (15-ounce) cans tomato sauce
3 tablespoons tomato paste
2 cups water
1 teaspoon sugar
1 (3-inch piece) Parmesan rind
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves

Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, salt, crushed red pepper, oregano and black pepper, and cook, stirring,  about 5-6 minutes. Place the tomatoes in a large bowl and squeeze to break into small pieces. Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, and sugar to the pot with the onion mixture, and stir well. Add the Parmesan rind. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Lower the heat to medium-low, and simmer uncovered for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally with a long-handled wooden spoon, until flavors have come together and sauce is thickened. Stir in the basil.  Preserve as needed.

10 cups homemade tomato sauce, or you can use store bought sauce.

For the meatballs:

1 large egg
1 pound lean ground beef(Sometimes I use 3/4 beef and 1/4 sweet Italian sausage)
1/2 cup chopped yellow onions
1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon chopped  parsley leaves
1 teaspoon  chopped basil leaves
1 teaspoon  chopped oregano leaves
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon creole seasoning
1/2 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano

**Notice, I do not use bread crumbs or other filler.  Why?  The egg, cheese and herbs bind together the meat, just fine.  Meatballs taste better without fillers.

For the Spaghetti:

1 pound spaghetti, cooked according to package directions
Salt, for seasoning cooking water
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

Place the Basic Red Sauce in a large pot. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Place all the remaining meatball ingredients in a large mixing bowl.  Mix well with hands, then form the meat into balls by rolling about 2 tablespoons of meat between your hands. Place meatballs on a plate as they are formed. (wet hands, slightly.  Keeps from sticking)  When all the meatballs are formed, gently place the balls into the sauce 1 at a time using a long handled spoon. Be careful - bubbling sauce splatters! Simmer the sauce uncovered, and allow the meatballs to sit undisturbed for 10 minutes before stirring. Stir the meatballs into the sauce when they rise to the top.

Simmer for an additional 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the sauce from sticking to the bottom of the pan.  You can add mushrooms, peppers, or anything else.

While sauce is simmering, cook the spaghetti in boiling salted water to suit your taste. Strain and toss with the olive oil. Keep warm until ready to serve.
A labor of love.  I have little time in the evenings, so I can the sauce.  When it comes time for the spaghet, I open a jar, and get busy.  Enjoy.

Doesn't matter if you are a newbie, new posters (especially those with recipes) are always welcome.

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2013, 02:40:33 PM »
Now I don't feel so bad over my spaghetti mush.

Offline Inga

• Be Ready
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2013, 02:42:47 PM »
Sounds like the battle of the spaghetti sauces. Tiny1 I'll make yours the following Sunday. Sounds good. But I'm pretty geared up for Beg's.

Offline tiny1

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2013, 02:51:43 PM »
Sounds like the battle of the spaghetti sauces. Tiny1 I'll make yours the following Sunday. Sounds good. But I'm pretty geared up for Beg's.
Its good sauce.  That said, I have tried may that I like as well, or better.  That is just how I learned to make it.
Make sure as you simmer, to taste frequently  and when the spices/herbs "marry", stir in the basil and quit cooking.  Fresh herbs don't stew well.  Takes away some flavor.
Have a nice weekend.
War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over. -- Gen William T. Sherman

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2013, 02:52:35 PM »

The meatballs cooking all day in the sauce are what gives the sauce it's flavor. I hope you like it.

Offline tiny1

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2013, 02:55:01 PM »
Doesn't matter if you are a newbie, new posters (especially those with recipes) are always welcome.
Thanx, bunches.  I have some good'uns.
They call me Tiny, because I am not.  I didn't get this large, eating Peanut Butter and Jelly.  I am a fairly good cook.  I love cooking, and enjoy eating, as much or more.
I appreciate the welcome.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2013, 02:55:48 PM »
Now I don't feel so bad over my spaghetti mush.

What is your spaghetti mush again?

Offline Inga

• Be Ready
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2013, 03:15:04 PM »
The meatballs cooking all day in the sauce are what gives the sauce it's flavor. I hope you like it.

I'm sure I will. I heard you were a good cook. My mouth is watering just thinking about them. I love Italian. With red wine of course.

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2013, 04:58:25 PM »
What is your spaghetti mush again?
angel hair pasta left too long in boiling water becomes one big pile of mush/porridge. tastes the same, but slides down way to easy. 

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2013, 04:27:20 AM »
I've never really been good at making meatballs. Sometimes I cheat and buy them already made. Or just use ground beef, sausage, or tofu.

I have noticed some ladies are able to make perfectly round meat balls, they must have a delicate touch.  :whistling:

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2013, 04:58:59 AM »
All the poo poo over jarred sauce to throw in canned tomatoes. You would think the food snob wanted everything fresh. And cilantro? In spaghetti sauce? Ummm please pass the ragu instead in that case. Yuck!

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2013, 05:01:41 AM »
OK, the one question I have is:  Why is struggle4progress going to all the bother of making tiny meatballs (which is quite a chore for a batch that size), only to crumble them up?  What's the point? 

I find nothing wrong with the rubbish from jars.  Not only that, I'm astounded at the grocery store when I see a jar of Rao's homemade (NYC) selling for $8.99/jar, and then see Franscesco Rinaldi for $1.50/jar.

Because she's too liberal refined to throw the ground beef in a pan and just crumble and brown it. That caught my attention too. Why?