Author Topic: Diet soda can help you gain weight, have a stroke, heart attack, etc  (Read 7915 times)

Offline RobJohnson

A new study shows people who regularly drink diet sodas are 43% more likely to suffer a stroke, heart attack, and other vascular problems than people who didn’t touch diet soda.

Researchers weren’t sure what exactly in the diet soda triggers that increased vascular risk, but something does.

The study, which appeared in the Journal of General Internal Medicine, interestingly found people who drink regular soda and only have, say, one diet soda each week don’t have these vascular issues.

Now, the take-home from this study is not to engulf Coke and only occasionally have a Diet Coke. I want you to ditch soda, period, whether it’s sweetened with aspartame or high-fructose corn syrup.

Nobody pays much attention when I say diet soda can give you a heart attack or stroke. But mention that  it makes you fat, and suddenly people get all riled up: “But, wait… It’s diet soda. And it has no calories…”

Don’t shoot the messenger. Studies verify diet soda can pack on the pounds and lots worse.
One study, for instance, showed that diet soda drinkers who drank just two cans a day got fatter than people who drank two cans of regular soda. No kidding.

More

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
Re: Diet soda can help you gain weight, have a stroke, heart attack, etc
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 10:05:59 PM »
I never liked diet soda going back to the days of saccharin. Turns out studies showed it to be carcinogenic, and had molecules that broke down in the digestive process to compounds closely related to formaldehyde.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 12:09:51 AM »
I think some people think that just that they have a diet soda in one hand they can have a triple cheese in the other hand and be safe.  :lmao:

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 11:03:49 AM »
I live on Diet Dr Pepper.  Something about it.  I don't drink anything else.  Never liked coffee and will sometimes drink sleepytime tea but that's it.  Those are the only two liquids I drink.

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 11:35:32 AM »
I never liked diet soda going back to the days of saccharin. Turns out studies showed it to be carcinogenic, and had molecules that broke down in the digestive process to compounds closely related to formaldehyde.

Which was later scientifically proven to be completely untrue.......

Just like DDT was supposed to be not only a carcinogen, but caused mass extinctions of wildlife.......thirty years, and 5 million malaria deaths later, it has been determined that DDT (if used properly) does neither........

When anyone cites a "study", always look for the agenda.......in today's environment, one will be there in about 75% of the cases........

doc
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 11:36:50 AM »
Mega doses of saccharin did cause tumors in lab rats.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 11:37:21 AM »

When anyone cites a "study", always look for the agenda.......in today's environment, one will be there in about 75% of the cases........

doc

which is when I hear about how a man HAS to have sex daily, I know there is an agenda out there

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 11:41:35 AM »

Wasn't it equal to something like a person drinking several gallons of diet soda daily?

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 11:44:46 AM »

As did "mega doses" of common sugar, salt, flour, and vitamins A, B, C, D, and E.........the list is endless......animal (and human) immune systems can be compromised by huge doses of many common compounds, which used in moderation are not only completely harmless, but beneficial.

doc

Confucius

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 11:56:43 AM »
Wasn't it equal to something like a person drinking several gallons of diet soda daily?

In the study in question, if the body weight of the lab rats were extrapolated to the weight of an average human, one would have to consume more than 10 pounds of pure saccharin daily to produce the same result.

Remember I mentioned "look for the agenda", the study in question that created all the stir, and the resulting saccharin ban was funded by the sugar cane industry in Hawaii........

The legislative ban was initiated and passed by.......wait for it.......a Democrat controlled congress........Hawaii being one of the most reliably Democratic states in the US.

doc

Confucius

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 11:56:54 AM »
As did "mega doses" of common sugar, salt, flour, and vitamins A, B, C, D, and E.........the list is endless......animal (and human) immune systems can be compromised by huge doses of many common compounds, which used in moderation are not only completely harmless, but beneficial.

doc

that word, "megadoses" reminds me of that old tale about Rod Stewart  :hyper:

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 12:04:05 PM »
which is when I hear about how a man HAS to have sex daily, I know there is an agenda out there

Well...duh............
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 12:05:57 PM »

Well...duh............

:rotf:

h5

The agenda might be characterized by the phrase, "Honey? I got this problem? It won't go away. Can you help me?"   :evillaugh:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 12:32:41 PM »
that word, "megadoses" reminds me of that old tale about Rod Stewart  :hyper:
The one about his stomach being pumped after a party with a soccer team? :panic: :puke: :puke:
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 01:25:14 PM »
Pepsi Zero everyday (not gallons of it though) and it's getting difficult to find.  :banghead:  I think Pepsi must be phasing it out . . .  :bawl:
Piney Power!!

Grow your own dope -- plant a Democrat!

"We will preserve for our children (America), the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done."  -- Ronald Reagan.

"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you." -- Quest for the Holy Grail

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 02:41:12 PM »
I drink maybe 2-3 4-5 diet cokes or Pepsi's per week. Most of the time I'll drink these when we go out to eat or I snag a bottle of diet coke somewhere.

At home, I drink water, coffee, and green tea (the flavored kind).

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2012, 03:02:31 PM »
I drink maybe 2-3 4-5 diet cokes or Pepsi's per week. Most of the time I'll drink these when we go out to eat or I snag a bottle of diet coke somewhere.

At home, I drink water, coffee, and green tea (the flavored kind).

Oh dear........I drink I know 1 44oz fountain diet coke on way to work, 6 12oz cans of diet dr pepper at work and a 20 oz on way home from work then probably 2 large glasses of Diet DP at home   :cheersmate:

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 03:08:08 PM »
Oh dear........I drink I know 1 44oz fountain diet coke on way to work, 6 12oz cans of diet dr pepper at work and a 20 oz on way home from work then probably 2 large glasses of Diet DP at home   :cheersmate:

Jeezus....With all that consumption goin' on, you've gotta be pissing like a racehorse.  :o

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2012, 03:12:07 PM »
Jeezus....With all that consumption goin' on, you've gotta be pissing like a racehorse.  :o

I have heard that saying from the person in the stall next door  :lmao:

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2012, 03:40:37 PM »
I'm inclined to think that this correlation, not causation. Many overweight and obese people drink diet sodas in an effort lose weight.  I know some slim people who drink diet soda, but most prefer regular soda. Overall food consumption patterns likely have a great deal more to do with their health than the type of soda they drink. 

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2012, 04:10:24 PM »
In the study in question, if the body weight of the lab rats were extrapolated to the weight of an average human, one would have to consume more than 10 pounds of pure saccharin daily to produce the same result.

Remember I mentioned "look for the agenda", the study in question that created all the stir, and the resulting saccharin ban was funded by the sugar cane industry in Hawaii........

The legislative ban was initiated and passed by.......wait for it.......a Democrat controlled congress........Hawaii being one of the most reliably Democratic states in the US.

doc

This was way before anybody's time; I doubt if anybody here's heard of cyclamates.

I know of it because my father was diabetic and drank Fresca soda.

I was a kid when cyclamates were banned in 1971, and remember that my father groused considerably about the substitute fake sugars.

Apparently cyclamates were actually pretty good, but a 4-ounce mouse drinking 100 gallons of it every day for a month or so got cancer.  Or so the story went.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2012, 04:18:08 PM »

Well now, that explains things..........     :-)
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2012, 04:23:02 PM »
Oh my.

I found this.

http://www.acsh.org/news/newsid.381/news_detail.asp

- - - - - - - - - -

The Bitter Truth About a Sweetener Scare           

By Elizabeth M. Whelan, Sc.D., M.P.H.
Posted: Thursday, August 26, 1999

The recent death of Michael Sveda, the chemist who discovered cyclamates, an artificial sweetener, and worked on other industrial chemicals including DDT, brought me back to the pivotal day in my professional career.

On Oct. 18. 1969, holding a can of Tab, I watched Health, Education and Welfare Secretary Robert Finch tell the nation that because the sweetener posed a risk of cancer it would be banned. Just a few days before, I had seen a Food and Drug Administration scientist on television holding up deformed, sickly chicks that had been injected with cyclamates. At the time I was pursuing a doctoral degree in public health and knew that no sweeteners or other food additives had ever been cited as a possible factor in cancer causation. Why all this attention for a phantom risk? Why were we banning safe, useful products under the guise of cancer prevention? I have pursued an answer to those questions ever since.

Sveda was among a little-appreciated group of scientists who dramatically improved the world's quality of life. Sadly, in his lifetime he saw his contributions vilified and rejected as a result of antiscientific, technophobic witch hunts that caused chemicals to be banned at the drop of a rat.

It was serendipity that led to Sveda's discovery of the sweetener. In 1937, while doing laboratory research, he brushed some loose tobacco shreds from his lips and inadvertently tasted one of the chemicals. "It was sweet enough to arouse my curiosity," he later said. That taste prompted him to do more research and seek a patent. Cyclamates were introduced in the 1950s, primarily as a drug for the obese, but were soon reclassified as a food additive. Between 1963 and 1970 national consumption of cyclamates--in soft drinks, canned fruits, candy, salad dressings and other foods--soared to 21 million pounds annually from 5 million.

All was well until October 1969, when FDA scientist Jacqueline Verrett appeared on the "NBC Nightly News" with her cyclamate-injected, malformed chicks. (She did not mention that injections of salt, water or even air would probably have had the same effect.) A few days later the manufacturer of cyclamates, Abbott Laboratories, released a study showing that eight out of 240 rats fed a mixture of saccharin and cyclamates--at levels equivalent to humans ingesting 350 cans of diet soda per day--developed bladder tumors. Finch announced the ban shortly thereafter.

Many scientists immediately criticized Finch's decision. The pathologist who examined the tumors, Stephen Sternberg, now at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York, pointed out that there were two chemicals involved. Why were cyclamates singled out? An editorial in the international medical journal Lancet noted that "never have so many pathologists been summoned to opine on so few lesions from so humble a species as the laboratory rat." The journal Nature warned that "it would be all too easy for public apprehension to be raised to the pitch where a fever of vegetarian faddism drives everything but mothers' milk from the market," adding in another editorial that the evidence against cyclamates was "about as solid as candy floss."

In subsequent years, dozens of other studies reported no cancer risk in rats, mice, dogs, hamsters and monkeys. By the mid-1980s professional health organizations from around the world agreed with the National Academy of Sciences that "the totality of evidence from studies in animals does not indicate that cyclamate (or its metabolite) is carcinogenic." More than 50 countries, including Canada, have now approved or reapproved the use of the sweetener. Abbott Laboratories, submitting evidence that cyclamates were the most studied component of the human diet, asked the FDA in 1974 to reconsider its decision, but its appeal was denied. A new request for reapproval filed in 1985 is still pending.

Sveda's obituaries said he was not bitter about the banning of cyclamates, but in fact he was. He claimed that the original FDA decision was based on a combination of bad science and "sugar politics" (he thought the sugar industry was behind the health charges against cyclamates). He accused the FDA of a "massive coverup of elemental blunders," and believed that the American public was due an apology for withholding an alternative to sugar.

Sveda also worked on DDT, which when introduced during World War II became the single most important pesticide responsible for maintaining health and garnered its inventor, Paul Muller, a Nobel Prize in Medicine. In 1970 the National Academy of Sciences declared that "in a little more than two decades, DDT has prevented 500 million human deaths due to malaria." But this cause for celebration was forgotten when another 1969 study found tumors in mice fed DDT. Soon environmentalists lobbied for DDT's ban. And in 1972, ignoring advice from experts, Environmental Protection Agency administrator William Ruckelshaus banned it for virtually all uses.

As Sveda discovered, self-appointed consumer activists are capable of bringing great pressure on regulatory agencies to "protect" health by purging the environment of hypothetical risks. Those who rationalize the bans speak of the "precautionary" principle, banning things "just in case" and arguing that "there are alternatives" and we can "live without it."

These arguments are naive at best and sinister and manipulative at worst. DDT saved lives. Cyclamates offered choices. As risk hyperbolists succeed in chipping away at our country's technological arsenal--pesticides, food additives, pharmaceuticals, industrial chemicals--they threaten our enviable high standard of living while offering no health benefits in return.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline thundley4

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2012, 04:28:35 PM »
This was way before anybody's time; I doubt if anybody here's heard of cyclamates.

I know of it because my father was diabetic and drank Fresca soda.

I was a kid when cyclamates were banned in 1971, and remember that my father groused considerably about the substitute fake sugars.

Apparently cyclamates were actually pretty good, but a 4-ounce mouse drinking 100 gallons of it every day for a month or so got cancer.  Or so the story went.

I vaguely remember cyclamates.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2012, 04:29:49 PM »
I vaguely remember cyclamates.

Apparently they were actually the very best sugar-substitute created, ever.

apres moi, le deluge