Author Topic: Mouth Issues  (Read 4296 times)

Offline Minky

Mouth Issues
« on: December 18, 2011, 08:30:00 PM »
I'm sorry if this isn't the right forum. I haven't figured out the different between The Lounge and General Discussion yet.

Anyway, I am suffering greatly with an abscessed tooth right now. I can get into my dentist first thing in the morning, but until then I am not sleeping. The only thing that really comforts me right now is hot tea, which on occasion I will add some spiced rum to. I obviously can't drink hot tea all through the night.

BG suggested a hot tea bag against my gums. I will definitely be trying that. Do any of you have suggestions for the night? Ibuprofen doesn't work and that's the only pain reliever I have and I'm not fit for public and being outside in the cold hurts worse than dealing with the pain here at home. Last night I tried NyQuil and that didn't work either.

I have a HUGE week coming up and need sleep. Thanks in advance!

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
Re: Mouth Issues
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 09:47:28 PM »
Tooth pain is the worst, try the teabag, but only the Dentist is going to relieve your pain, it's not swollen though so that's good.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Minky

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 10:11:02 PM »
So you're saying I will be another night without sleep. Yea, I figured. This week is going to be rough.

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 10:24:55 PM »
Minky, hope you're already managing to be asleep.  If not, I did find this youtube video for home treatment of an absessed tooth.  It's made by a dentist.  Maybe it will help, I hope so!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0PXUZZTQMw
Sneaking into a country doesn't make you an immigrant any
more than breaking into someone's house makes you part of the family.
(Poster bolky from thehill.com blog discussion)

Offline Minky

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 10:27:33 PM »
Watching it now! Thank you, Boudicca!

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 10:32:04 PM »
Watching it now! Thank you, Boudicca!

Gosh, sure hope it helps, Minky!
My hubby read the thread over my shoulder and his recommendation is plenty of booze. :thatsright:

Offline Minky

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 10:38:18 PM »
Blech!

Yea, my abscess is only visible on my xrays, unfortunately. It hasn't bubbled to the end of my tooth. There is nothing to pop. I'm not sure I could do that if it were visible. Ack!

I'm chewing on a hot wash cloth right now. The heat, along with the pressure is a little bit of relief, but it doesn't last very long. I think I will take a shot of NyQuil and pray I can at least get a little bit of sleep. Eight AM can't come soon enough!

Offline Minky

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 10:38:51 PM »
My hubby read the thread over my shoulder and his recommendation is plenty of booze. :thatsright:

I like the way your husband thinks. :)

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 10:56:24 PM »
Blech!

Yea, my abscess is only visible on my xrays, unfortunately. It hasn't bubbled to the end of my tooth. There is nothing to pop. I'm not sure I could do that if it were visible. Ack!

I'm chewing on a hot wash cloth right now. The heat, along with the pressure is a little bit of relief, but it doesn't last very long. I think I will take a shot of NyQuil and pray I can at least get a little bit of sleep. Eight AM can't come soon enough!

Oh, Minky, I'm sorry.

Someone posted this on homeremedies.com

If you are experiencing an abcessed tooth you will eventually need antibiotics. I'm a medical assistant at an urgent care n see ppl in great dental pain. I've been there. I actually ODed on accident on tylenol trying to kill the pain with no relief. When I FINALLY got to the dentist the dental assistant told me to try whole cloves in my gums if the horrible situation ever reoccured. Unfortunately it did :( but this time I tried her suggestion. And it WORKS better than all the over the counter pain killers you can get. Just buy whole cloves from the spice section. The look like tiny brown flower bud bases. Which is exactly what they are. I break off the spiny edges n stick then in my gums near where they are hurting. Subconsciously I've learned to associate the taste of the cloves with pain relief as well so its double the reaction. I hope this works for anyone that happens upon this link in their desperate attempts to kill the worst pain known to man- DENTAL PAIN! Good luck!

I seem to recollect hearing about cloves before, but you may well not have a whole clove just laying around.  I do, but I do alot of baking.

Someone else posted

I'm up at 4 am. I'm on vacation in orange beach Alabama of all things. My boyfriend is coming to propose to me in two days. I always find out surprises... Anyway while I'm supposed to be enjoying my dinner at 'bubbas' tonight I can barely eat from pain. In our condo we don't have clove oil or vanilla extract. But I did bring listerine and my tooth brush. Rinse with listerine and gently massage the tooth and gum area with the brush. It helped me so much. Also when you're laying down to sleep try laying directly on your back and not tilting your head to the sides to even the blood flow on both sides if that makes sense. Also ice helped me numb the pain. And ibuprofen!

Scanning the thread, others posted about slicing raw garlic or onions, peppermint teabags, baking soda. 

Anyway, here's the thread if you want to read about fellow sufferers' temporary home remedies.

http://www.myhomeremedies.com/static/abcessed-tooth.html

Offline Minky

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 11:16:15 PM »
I have cloves AND fresh garlic!! Yay! I'm going to try the cloves now. I did two shots of Captain Morgan and a dose of NyQuil, so I'm gonna try to head to bed with cloves between my teeth, one on each side of the abscessed area.

I can barely type.....

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 08:05:53 AM »
I have cloves AND fresh garlic!! Yay! I'm going to try the cloves now. I did two shots of Captain Morgan and a dose of NyQuil, so I'm gonna try to head to bed with cloves between my teeth, one on each side of the abscessed area.

I can barely type.....

Depending upon your time zone, you may already be at the dentist's office.  Sure hope you got some sleep last night, and some relief this morning. 

Offline Minky

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 12:25:55 PM »
I was able to get a little bit of sleep last night, Boudicca. Thank you!

I am feeling MUCH better today. My very back tooth had to be extracted and now I have antibiotics and Loritab. I will definitely be sleeping tonight. Thank God!

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 07:22:35 PM »
Be careful smoking, you don't want to get a dry socket. Also did they tell you to rinse with a solution of water and salt?
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Minky

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 09:47:36 PM »
Oh yea, and I did a couple times today.

Right now I feel like someone socked me in the jaw, but I don't have a lot of bleeding at all. I'm drinking hot tea right now. My son's girlfriend brought me decaffeinated! Yay! Right now she's making me garlic mashed potatoes too. She's spoiling me rotten! LOL

I took a Lortab, and I will probably be in bed in the next hour or so. I'm exhausted.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 07:25:08 AM »
How are you feeling?

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2011, 06:33:43 PM »
I was able to get a little bit of sleep last night, Boudicca. Thank you!

I am feeling MUCH better today. My very back tooth had to be extracted and now I have antibiotics and Loritab. I will definitely be sleeping tonight. Thank God!

Awesome, Minky, it'd suck to not be able to enjoy Christmas dinner. :cheersmate:

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2011, 06:08:52 AM »
I can think of nothing as painfull as an abscess tooth------outside of a dry socket.

Few so called minor problems can be as dangerous as an abscess anywhere on the body.    Nothing to fool with, if one has to wait 24 hours to see a dentist, go to an emergency room and get an RX for antibiotics as soon as possible.

Don't try to mess with this yourself for a day or two,  I have seen patients given a huge dose of Demoral IM and still be in pain as the Doctors try to figure out what is wrong with them.

Root Canals cost the earth, if it is a back tooth tell the Dentist to pull the sucker.

My heart goes out to you and all that get this problem, there is a reason for the pain, the infection is spreading into the bone and brain or heart. 

Put it this way, if one has a pain in their chest as bad as an abscessed tooth, you would be in the ER in minutes.

Offline Minky

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2011, 10:24:30 AM »
Well, I am MUCH better now. I have no more mouth pain and I continue to take the antibiotics even though the pain is gone.  I am so glad I was able to enjoy my prime rib meal on Christmas Eve. :)

Thanks for all the help here though! I appreciate the support!

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2011, 07:50:01 PM »
Well, I am MUCH better now. I have no more mouth pain and I continue to take the antibiotics even though the pain is gone.  I am so glad I was able to enjoy my prime rib meal on Christmas Eve. :)

Thanks for all the help here though! I appreciate the support!

So happy for you, Minky, and I'm glad you are following the doctor's orders re the antibiotic.  If not taken the full ten days, or however long the dentist allocated, it's very possible the infection returns and you end up with a boatload of misery again.  That would suck.