Author Topic: 800mg Motrin?  (Read 9474 times)

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
800mg Motrin?
« on: June 10, 2011, 10:05:19 AM »
Anyone know how long you can take this much Motrin before it really starts doing a number on your liver?
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Re: 800mg Motrin?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 10:22:38 AM »
I'm no doctor, but I'd say that each person is different.

800 mg is prescription strength. Drugs.com says that much Ibuprofen can not just do a number on your liver, but also on your heart. Bypass patients (before and after) need to avoid it like the plague.

The short answer is, I don't think you're going to get a straight answer on that question. About the best you'll get is "check with your doctor."

Personally, I don't take more than 600 mg at a whack, unless the doc prescribes it.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 11:04:45 AM »
800Motrin is the same as 4 Advils. I took that every night and often 2 at a time during the day.

It took years before it happened, but I can't take it anymore. Don't know what it's done to my liver, but I think it started to burn a hole in my esophagus. I was having terrible heartburn, to the point I was vomiting blood, when I had it. I quit taking it about a year ago. Of the two or three times, I've had heartburn since...it's been when I've tried taking Advil again.  :bawl:

I went with BEG's suggestion of Excedrin Migraine, and am only taking it when I have a severe headache.

The rest of the time, I just accept that my neck hurts.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 11:20:41 AM »
Thank you both for responding. I have achilles bursitis in one leg and it takes that much motrin to touch it so i can walk normally! Thinking about maybe going into the docs and possibly asking for regular cortisone shots. Not looking forward to having needles put into my foot but this sucks! :banghead: :(
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 09:34:17 PM »
One of my past Doctors in MN said as long as I didn't exceed 3200 mg/ day, it'd be OK. My Doctor here doesn't want me on the stuff at all. However...... it does work for some of my problems and my liver function tests are OK. I'm staying pretty much at 1600 mg/ day right now. I've been taking Ibuprofen at the 1600+ mg/ day for well over a decade.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline SaintLouieWoman

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 09:11:13 PM »
Thank you both for responding. I have achilles bursitis in one leg and it takes that much motrin to touch it so i can walk normally! Thinking about maybe going into the docs and possibly asking for regular cortisone shots. Not looking forward to having needles put into my foot but this sucks! :banghead: :(
I had an orthopedist who told me to try to not take too many painkillers, as it masks the pain and cause me to do something that could hurt my knee without feeling that pain. Of course he probably was a masochist.  :-)

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 07:49:23 AM »
I had an orthopedist who told me to try to not take too many painkillers, as it masks the pain and cause me to do something that could hurt my knee without feeling that pain. Of course he probably was a masochist.  :-)

That would be "sadist". I've had Docs tell me the same thing.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 09:35:54 AM »

I had a cortisone shot when I fell after my ankle surgery and broke my toe.  The needle looks scary, but it doesn't hurt and the relief is just about immediate. 

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 06:57:36 PM »
I had a cortisone shot when I fell after my ankle surgery and broke my toe.  The needle looks scary, but it doesn't hurt and the relief is just about immediate.  

I had a cortisone shot in my knee 5 years ago for reactive arthritis. I could barely walk into his office and could walk normally after the shot.  It helped so much so quickly that I would do it again if I had to.

Also Ibuprofen, I am almost 100% sure, caused my tinnitus. I popped high doses of it like candy for two years before my stroke because I was in pain every single day, then used it frequently after my stroke until I started having the tinnitus (1/2009).  I was also on prescription anti inflammatory meds which I think also contributed. When I was diagnosed with tinnitus I found out long term use of ibuprofen can cause tinnitus.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 06:59:41 PM by BEG »

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 07:09:18 PM »
Make sure you don't drink when taking high doses of Motrin or Advil because of the alcohol's effects on the liver combined with the Motrin.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 07:09:56 PM »
I had a cortisone shot in my knee 5 years ago for reactive arthritis. I could barely walk into his office and could walk normally after the shot.  It helped so much so quickly that I would do it again if I had to.

Also Ibuprofen, I am almost 100% sure, caused my tinnitus. I popped high doses of it like candy for two years before my stroke because I was in pain every single day, then used it frequently after my stroke until I started having the tinnitus (1/2009).  I was also on prescription anti inflammatory meds which I think also contributed. When I was diagnosed with tinnitus I found out long term use of ibuprofen can cause tinnitus.

M has tinnitus and has had for 30 years or more.

I just read somewhere, maybe it was something you posted here, BEG about the ibuprofen making it worse. He has cut back on taking Advil since. It isn't really better, but he doesn't seem to have as many episodes of it being so bad he can't hear anything.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 07:13:28 PM »
I have tinnitus too, maybe I had 1 ear infection when I was a kid, had a benign tumor removed a couple of years ago and have had nothing but ear problems since including tinnitus, the tinnitus gets worse when I have ear issues going on.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 11:40:59 AM »
I've had bouts of tinnitus. However, they started LONG before Motrin even came into existence. I still have those same bouts. It's a about a  4 KHz tone that starts in my ear and lasts for five to ten seconds and then goes away. Never had much of an interest in finding out why because it is only occasionally bothersome.

Offline SaintLouieWoman

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 03:56:40 PM »
I took 1200 mg of ibuprofin when I had the periodontal surgery on the left jaw two weeks ago. It pretty much relieved the pain from the jaw, but then just one day of it flared my gastric reflux and I had those shooting pains up my back. The nest day I only took 2 of the nsaid pills, then toughed it out.

Had cortisone shots in the shoulder from a rotator cuff strain caused by my poor old dog, Blue, who panicked at something and ran really fast while I was holding the leash. I hate needles, but those shots really helped.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 11:14:17 PM »
I've had bouts of tinnitus. However, they started LONG before Motrin even came into existence. I still have those same bouts. It's a about a  4 KHz tone that starts in my ear and lasts for five to ten seconds and then goes away. Never had much of an interest in finding out why because it is only occasionally bothersome.

My tinnitus is constant, everyday, every waking moment.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 11:43:41 PM »
My tinnitus is constant, everyday, every waking moment.

It sucks, doesn't it?

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2011, 12:02:46 AM »
It sucks, doesn't it?

Yes, sometimes if I'm really busy I can tune it out. Then if a commercial for tinnitus or a sound that reminds me of it will make bit suddenly appear again.  Normally it's always there and trying to go to sleep is the worst as far as volume goes.

Offline RonBush

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2011, 10:50:39 AM »
I stopped taking it completely about 5 years ago.  I had major digestive problems caused by it.  Now I figure I can just live with some minor aches and pains.