Author Topic: Why Exercise Won't Make You Thin  (Read 11251 times)

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
Re: Why Exercise Won't Make You Thin
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2011, 09:10:35 AM »
I eat over 3000 calories a day and I can eat just about anything...so sorry that working out is boring to you...I find it exhilarating and it gives me more energy, but everyone's going to have different views.  I respect yours and good luck (:    I'm 5'8 and 150 lbs, but in a size 5...muscle is way denser than fat.  Soo, I really don't think about weight loss, I think about muscle to fat ratios iow's body composition

It's just not fun.  I will play Just Dance 2 on the Wii and that gives you a great work out, but I don't play it as often now that it's in triple digit heat.

I've lost enough weight just by eating less and healthier.  At work, we have to park far from the entrance because of the way the property is set up.  And then running around all day.  I lose at least 1.5-2lbs a week on good weeks.  I'm not large.  My BMI is in the normal range.

What I'd like to do is muscle/strength training.  But I need to find a friend at work who will go with me.
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2011, 09:12:40 AM »
It's just not fun.  I will play Just Dance 2 on the Wii and that gives you a great work out, but I don't play it as often now that it's in triple digit heat.

I've lost enough weight just by eating less and healthier.  At work, we have to park far from the entrance because of the way the property is set up.  And then running around all day.  I lose at least 1.5-2lbs a week on good weeks.  I'm not large.  My BMI is in the normal range.

What I'd like to do is muscle/strength training.  But I need to find a friend at work who will go with me.

I need to get a Wii.  For real.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2011, 12:08:00 PM »
I need to get a Wii.  For real.

Get the Xbox connect, no need to hold anything in your hand. My daughter has one and gets a heck of a workout from it. I, on the other hand, can't use it, bone spurs in my feet and ankles prevent it. I stick with yard work, hiking, fishing, woodcutting, that sort of thing.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2011, 12:20:57 PM »

Get the Xbox connect, no need to hold anything in your hand. My daughter has one and gets a heck of a workout from it. I, on the other hand, can't use it, bone spurs in my feet and ankles prevent it. I stick with yard work, hiking, fishing, woodcutting, that sort of thing.

I thought about that, but I have a problem with the size of my living room.  It ain't that big.  8 feet away from the TV would put me in the garage.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2011, 02:23:23 PM »
While this is technically correct it is true that muscle burns calories more efficiently. So the more muscle you have the more calories you burn. Weights are also an easy way to ease into exercising because even with a light pair of dumbbells you can see results fairly quickly. Besides, I love the looks on people's faces when I, a 51 year old woman, 5'1" and 107 pounds, picks up a full roll of barbed wire. Being strong is a high.

And losing weight is as much psychological as it is physical. If you think exercise is helping it probably is. When people believe what their doing is responsible for their success they'll keep doing it. You can also eat more calories when you exercise increasing your chance of success. Exercise also releases endorphins which help fight stress & depression (two things that can severely sabotage your efforts at losing weight).

I do think certain types of exercise burn fuel more efficiently. Very intense interval training burns a boatload of calories. And you can't beat the feeling afterwards when you've pushed your body harder than you thought you could.

Of course if exercise doesn't matter it doesn't explain how the military manages to take some rather soft human beings and turn them into lean, muscular fighting machines! It's not like mess hall food is going to win any awards. Boot camp is literally weeks of near-constant PT.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline Firechild

« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2011, 10:29:11 PM »
Hi 5! My size is smaller too when I have more lean muscle mass at the same weight.
You go girl!

That's what I do 5x a week.  Once you get started, you'll be amazed at the transformation (:   I used to train with someone on occassion, but I found that training alone was much faster.  I also bought a book, this may be a good one for you also "Now or Never" by Joyce Verdal. GL!!

I always chuckled and felt uncomfortable when I heard people say Liberalism is a mental disorder, but if it walks like a duck talks like a duck and acts like moron it is a moron.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2011, 05:30:02 AM »
You go girl!
  That's what I do 5x a week.  Once you get started, you'll be amazed at the transformation (:   I used to train with someone on occassion, but I found that training alone was much faster.  I also bought a book, this may be a good one for you also "Now or Never" by Joyce Verdal. GL!!

This reminds me of a young girl on our street that at 15 gave birth and her parents raised the baby while she was in highschool.

This young lady had problems with her weight after the birth of the baby, her friends, school and parents encouraged her to loose weight, nagged at her so she signed up for school sports.

All was well until a family member introduced her to dieting pills, powers and placed her on some kind of quack diet.   By now she was 16 years old and still growing, poor girl after a year just as she turned 17 she died of a heart attack running track.

She never got to go to her Junior Prom or watch her child grow up due to an extra 40 pounds she was encouraged and pushed to loose for her " health ''.

As one of he neighbors told me, no problem for the child, they didn't know her anyway, she was gone from them so much of the time involved with  school,sports and the Gym, the grandparents had become mommy and daddy and the mother some thing of a sister to them.

Makes me think of Caylee and mother that never bonded as mother and child.  Grandparents refused to allow the mother to grow up and become a mother to the child.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2011, 07:34:59 AM »
You go girl!

I love it, firechild. I was training for my personal training and group fitness cert before the sh*t hit the fan here with the marriage and such. I still plan on doing it, but I have to get some other things rolling first. I think it is exhilerating and yes, it does pay off.  :cheersmate:

Offline Firechild

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2011, 02:38:38 PM »
This reminds me of a young girl on our street that at 15 gave birth and her parents raised the baby while she was in highschool.

This young lady had problems with her weight after the birth of the baby, her friends, school and parents encouraged her to loose weight, nagged at her so she signed up for school sports.

All was well until a family member introduced her to dieting pills, powers and placed her on some kind of quack diet.   By now she was 16 years old and still growing, poor girl after a year just as she turned 17 she died of a heart attack running track.

She never got to go to her Junior Prom or watch her child grow up due to an extra 40 pounds she was encouraged and pushed to loose for her " health ''.

As one of he neighbors told me, no problem for the child, they didn't know her anyway, she was gone from them so much of the time involved with  school,sports and the Gym, the grandparents had become mommy and daddy and the mother some thing of a sister to them.

Makes me think of Caylee and mother that never bonded as mother and child.  Grandparents refused to allow the mother to grow up and become a mother to the child.

Aww, that's so sad Vesta...I've seen so many people get so sick on diet pills, diets, et al, just to lose weight and ya know, when you look at any media these days, it's all about skin, how you look, how thin, beautiful flowing hair, perfect teeth, the stress teens or anyone that may feel inadequate in some way, it's just shameful what society places upon us.   :mental:

I love it, firechild. I was training for my personal training and group fitness cert before the sh*t hit the fan here with the marriage and such. I still plan on doing it, but I have to get some other things rolling first. I think it is exhilerating and yes, it does pay off.  :cheersmate:
   :cheersmate:  GL I'm sure things will work out for the best!  :cheersmate:

I always chuckled and felt uncomfortable when I heard people say Liberalism is a mental disorder, but if it walks like a duck talks like a duck and acts like moron it is a moron.