Author Topic: Why Exercise Won't Make You Thin  (Read 11250 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Why Exercise Won't Make You Thin
« on: March 28, 2011, 08:44:57 PM »
Why Exercise Won't Make You Thin

On average, the women in all the groups, even the control group, lost weight, but the women who exercised — sweating it out with a trainer several days a week for six months — did not lose significantly more weight than the control subjects did. (The control-group women may have lost weight because they were filling out those regular health forms, which may have prompted them to consume fewer doughnuts.) Some of the women in each of the four groups actually gained weight, some more than 10 lb. each.

The findings are important because the government and various medical organizations routinely prescribe more and more exercise for those who want to lose weight. In 2007 the American College of Sports Medicine and the American Heart Association issued new guidelines stating that "to lose weight ... 60 to 90 minutes of physical activity may be necessary." That's 60 to 90 minutes on most days of the week, a level that not only is unrealistic for those of us trying to keep or find a job but also could easily produce, on the basis of Church's data, ravenous compensatory eating.

Last year the International Journal of Obesity published a paper by Gortmaker and Kendrin Sonneville of Children's Hospital Boston noting that "there is a widespread assumption that increasing activity will result in a net reduction in any energy gap" — energy gap being the term scientists use for the difference between the number of calories you use and the number you consume. But Gortmaker and Sonneville found in their 18-month study of 538 students that when kids start to exercise, they end up eating more — not just a little more, but an average of 100 calories more than they had just burned.
Time/CNN

Read this and thought it was interesting.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline thundley4

Re: Why Exercise Won't Make You Thin
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 08:52:38 PM »
It sounds like it would be best to go on a strict diet with little exercise until the desired weight loss is achieved. Then exercise to regain muscle tone.

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 11:30:14 PM »
I lost 30 pounds over one year, but I kept my calorie count down to 1800 or so a day, AND walked roughly 30 miles a week.  Walking did make me hungrier.  I still like to walk, or right now use the stationary bike until my foot heals up, but it's not going to do the trick losing weight.  OTOH I have awesome legs for a middle aged woman.  Or so I've been told.  Plenty of muscle tone going on...mostly I simply love the endorphin rush of exercise.

AFAIC you need both calorie reduction and serious exercise to lose weight in the healthiest and least stressful way.  But that's just me, I know people can and do lose weight in many ways.  The real challenge is keeping it off.  Sadly I've regained 15 of those 30 pounds these past two years. :p  So, it's back to the basic steps again before I outgrow my wardrobe. :bawl:
Sneaking into a country doesn't make you an immigrant any
more than breaking into someone's house makes you part of the family.
(Poster bolky from thehill.com blog discussion)

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 04:25:19 AM »
You know I want to challenge this, but I'm too tired yet :tongue:(why yes, it's my day off and I'm still up this early--ugh, sucks to get use to a waking up time for work :hammer:)

As Boudicca pointed out, exercise offers more benefits then just losing weight anyway. If you lose weight without it, you can bet if you are middle-aged you'll be a skinny, droopy mess(especially if you've carried weight for any length of time before losing). Muscle helps to tighten things and help fill out skin with lean, hard mass instead of droopy skin with pockets of fat. It also helps stengthen muscle, bone, and brings a general feeling of well-being. Weight loss is usually about more then a number on the scale, it's about changing body image(in your head and how your body really looks). Real changes to one's body don't just come from losing numbers on a scale, but from gaining muscle. I can be the exact same weight and my body will look different depending on whether or not I have included physical activity. Strength training and athletic conditioning(of various kinds) help to shape the body and usually bring the results people are looking for as far as what they want to see in the mirror.

I hate articles like this since they fail to point out the other benefits of physical activity. There are health advantages, as well as the ones I mentioned above. I could not survive the depression I've been in over my situational stuff were it not for step or dance or conditioning.

Of course physical activity is not without pitfalls either. I've torn my calf muscle, dealt with rotator cuff and knee pain periodically, and had various pulls and strains all over the place over the years. I anticipate this though. The body rebels sometimes, especially the older you get.  :-)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 09:02:15 AM »
Lotsa good stuff to say about exercise, but I can say with work schedules and other demands on our time, it ain't easy finding time for it.

I really loved it when I had extra time. I'd go to the YMCA, change, run a quick shower, then into the pool. Forty minutes later I'd crawl out after having swum a mile and back into the shower. Total time investiture was about 1 hour 15 minutes.

No way in hell I have that much available time for exercise today.

Moderate exercise helps increase the metabolic rate, sustaining weight loss, but that doesn't mean that the body won't respond by asking for more food. This is the price one pays for feeding beyond the requirement for a period of time. Lots of good ways to fight it -- hot tea is a great appetite suppressant -- but it comes down to simply accepting the fact that one is going to be hungry, that such things are acceptable, and that staving off hunger with short, regular meals (even with relatively healthy snacks) is better than binging on two Whoppers with Supersize fries and a milkshake.

Eventually the stomach shrinks and the cravings subside -- somewhat.

My exercise regimen these days is about 15-20 minutes on the elliptical at about 4:45 a.m. This is going on while the dogs (one at a time) are on the treadmill next to me. At about 5:15 p.m., after I get home from work, I'm back on the elliptical for at least 30 minutes while Belle, our golden retriever is doing her double session as well. That's roughly 45-50 minutes a day of reasonably active cardio -- no weight training yet. I've done that 7 days a week for the past couple months, and I have no idea where and how I find the time for this. But it happens.

Damn, all this talk about food has made me hungry. Time to build a cuppa hot green tea.  :p

« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 09:06:11 AM by Eupher »
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 10:52:23 AM »
As a diabetic, I rely on exercise to balance any carb indulgences I partake in. :-)  In fact, when I was walking 6 miles, I had to bring a snack along so my glucose level wouldn't crash into dangerous territory.  So, eventually I realized that scarfing down that extra 200 calories and 29g of carbs during my 2 hour walk was negating at least part of the benefit, but it still felt awesome to walk that far.  Took me 18 months to get from staggering down to my mailbox, due to issues of severe anemia, to getting that under control and getting to 6 miles in 2 hours.  Right before I broke my toe I'd whittled the 2 hours down to 100 minutes, but now I'm going to have to start slow again.  It's a whole lot easier to ramp  up the exercising than it is for me to decrease my eating, not cuz I'm hungry, but cuz I love food. :drool:
But, eating a snack while walking at least meant when I got back home I wasn't too hungry and all I needed was an early lunch.  Being a stay at home grandma, I have the time to exercise.  Right now, I don't have the physical body to do it though and it's affecting my mental well being.  I have gotten alot more snappish lately.  Miss the endorphins!

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 04:39:25 PM »
OTOH I have awesome legs for a middle aged woman.  Or so I've been told.  Plenty of muscle tone going on

:picsneeded:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 04:41:24 PM »

:picsneeded:

Yeah, well, I am not gonna post any.  Mostly cuz I have no frikkin' idea how to do so.  VERY computer illiterate.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 04:43:38 PM »
Yeah, well, I am not gonna post any.  Mostly cuz I have no frikkin' idea how to do so.  VERY computer illiterate.

You know how to give bitchslaps, dontcha?

Same basic process.

:rotf:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 01:41:19 PM »

Chicken. 

:-)
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 02:03:13 PM »

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 10:56:03 AM »

:bs:
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline HarveyF

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 12:25:48 PM »
While exercise might not make you thin, it will improve your heart and overall health. I agree with many of you in that eating a low-calorie healthy diet along with exercise is probably the best way to lose weight and improve one's health. You could lose weight by eating terrible foods and not exercising but you'll just be raising your risk of a heart attack or stroke or any number of health problems. I've seen plenty of unhealthy skinny people as well as overweight people.

Offline Firechild

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 07:07:55 PM »
Love this Thread since I am a physique competitor. 

I started out way too skinny myself.  Then I happened to be in a supplement store when I  saw a picture of a woman that I wanted my body to emulate...I proceeded to buy and read up on bodybuilding and after a short eight months I found myself in my first show.

I worked extremely hard, but it takes a lot of time out of your schedule.  However, I don't have any other responsibilities besides myself. No kids, only work, house and cats, so I had the time to put forth this journey.

Exercise alone won't make you thin, or "in shape", there's cardio and the main thing is "diet"...For me, I eat every three hours...small meals and I pack them wherever I go in my knapsack...Ya have to stoke the fire to keep the metabolism burning.  Great link about metabolism

Our bodies are so amazing...I do personal training and have helped clients from 250-500lbs and take them to a goal that we've set...it's a beautiful experience and journey.....especially after we've trained for months and I show them the "before" pics...

If anyone needs some help, just holler.  I'm a personal trainer.

I always chuckled and felt uncomfortable when I heard people say Liberalism is a mental disorder, but if it walks like a duck talks like a duck and acts like moron it is a moron.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 07:35:47 PM »
Love this Thread since I am a physique competitor. 

I started out way too skinny myself.  Then I happened to be in a supplement store when I  saw a picture of a woman that I wanted my body to emulate...I proceeded to buy and read up on bodybuilding and after a short eight months I found myself in my first show.

I worked extremely hard, but it takes a lot of time out of your schedule.  However, I don't have any other responsibilities besides myself. No kids, only work, house and cats, so I had the time to put forth this journey.

Exercise alone won't make you thin, or "in shape", there's cardio and the main thing is "diet"...For me, I eat every three hours...small meals and I pack them wherever I go in my knapsack...Ya have to stoke the fire to keep the metabolism burning.  Great link about metabolism

Our bodies are so amazing...I do personal training and have helped clients from 250-500lbs and take them to a goal that we've set...it's a beautiful experience and journey.....especially after we've trained for months and I show them the "before" pics...

If anyone needs some help, just holler.  I'm a personal trainer.

Someone may have forgot to mention it, but all new poster are required to show photo ID.  :whistling:

Offline Firechild

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 07:42:05 PM »
Someone may have forgot to mention it, but all new poster are required to show photo ID.  :whistling:
lol, I have no issue with that, 'cept I'm a bit shy...lol

I always chuckled and felt uncomfortable when I heard people say Liberalism is a mental disorder, but if it walks like a duck talks like a duck and acts like moron it is a moron.

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2011, 11:57:36 PM »
Working out does nothing for me.  It's boring.

I'm down to 1,200-1,400 calories a day.  The only workout I get these days is running around at work when I'm breaking the guys at the return lines.  I'm down 10lbs since starting my lower calorie diet.
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2011, 06:36:42 AM »

I'm down to 1,200-1,400 calories a day.  The only workout I get these days is running around at work when I'm breaking the guys at the return lines.  I'm down 10lbs since starting my lower calorie diet.

Screw this shit-----I did hard manual labor for 22 years, never gained or lost  an once once.

Born with a high metabolism I could lay around and eat all day---or work 10 hours a day walking 30 miles in the job--no difference. 

Pregnant I ate everything but the paint off the walls, most I weighed was 110 at birth of my largest baby, 5 pounds.   

People inherit their size and body build from not just parents but grandparents.   Ever see a super thin family with a couple of thin kids and one that has big bones from Grandpa????

Exercise is great for the CVS and inner organs, but there is little one can do with the bone structure that is large and needs outer body to cover it.

Small boned people can gain weight through diet and can loose the weigh with some small changes.

What to do, do we as a family of small boned parents with a child that is also small boned and a child that inherited big bones and is 20 pounds heaver then the thin child, punish the big child for inheriting genes that the rest of the family by passed???

Do we carp on the kid to eat less, try to force them to feel guilty as they do not resemble the rest of the family.    Do we give excuses to family and friends that this one child inherited family genes that rest do not have.??? ----- OHOH the child now feels different from the family, like they were born different from family--  Their fault they do not fit in with the rest of the family.

We are on this big kick to elemate overweight kids and get all kids slim and trim.  Good thinking as no one takes into consideration that mussel weighs more then fat. 

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2011, 07:01:50 AM »
Screw this shit-----I did hard manual labor for 22 years, never gained or lost  an once once.

Born with a high metabolism I could lay around and eat all day---or work 10 hours a day walking 30 miles in the job--no difference. 

Pregnant I ate everything but the paint off the walls, most I weighed was 110 at birth of my largest baby, 5 pounds.   

People inherit their size and body build from not just parents but grandparents.   Ever see a super thin family with a couple of thin kids and one that has big bones from Grandpa????

Exercise is great for the CVS and inner organs, but there is little one can do with the bone structure that is large and needs outer body to cover it.

Small boned people can gain weight through diet and can loose the weigh with some small changes.

What to do, do we as a family of small boned parents with a child that is also small boned and a child that inherited big bones and is 20 pounds heaver then the thin child, punish the big child for inheriting genes that the rest of the family by passed???

Do we carp on the kid to eat less, try to force them to feel guilty as they do not resemble the rest of the family.    Do we give excuses to family and friends that this one child inherited family genes that rest do not have.??? ----- OHOH the child now feels different from the family, like they were born different from family--  Their fault they do not fit in with the rest of the family.

We are on this big kick to elemate overweight kids and get all kids slim and trim.  Good thinking as no one takes into consideration that mussel weighs more then fat. 

Now where were we , kids that may or may not be over weight for their bone structure.

I know of grown men refused by the military as being over weight that countered the rules by proving that the weight was in fact from mussel and to loose weight would mean to loose their mussel mass.

What to do with kids that from exercise build mussel and are told to loose weight.   Do we bring in the Government to test children who weigh pounds over weight to determine what percentage is fat ???

Do we now test their bone structure to find if it is big or small????

This is horse shit at its worse,  people will become ill on the same diet of others, we found that out in Nam when baby's died when given cows milk in hospitals.

This pisses me off, no two kids are alike, some are short some are tall, some are large and some are small, no kid that becomes an adult should feel they are different from others especially their family  because of genetic make up.--------Jack slap Aunt Agathe when she asks why a child in the family is so fat or why the parents don't put them on a diet.

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2011, 06:15:14 PM »

My metabolism was high too when I was younger.  Unfortunately, that "good life" caught up with me when I turned 25 and got pregnant.  Now I have to watch what I eat.  Not like it matters.  We are able to show our daughter good eating habits.
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2011, 06:43:57 PM »
Exercise is like anything else, it takes commitment. It's like work, marriage, or anything else. You don't always get the kind of immediate 'pay off' that makes it worth the effort, but its there and actually, once you get past the initial drudgery, you actually might come to like it and find your 'niche' in it, but it requires trying more then one thing and doing it a few times to get a feel for what that fit is. I love just about every workout activity but love step, dance, and weights...I"m also learning to love running. Maybe I love it so much because my brain works hard all day at work--it's so nice to just expend physical energy in contrast and let the brain rest(unless I'm learning choreo :-))

Anyone who says it does nothing for your body on the outside, hasn't done it long enough or/and done it right. There is a significant difference for me between my body during my 'training periods' and my off time when I get busy with other things and can't commit as much time--I've never known anyone who does it with any commitment who would tell you there is no difference in the way their body looks during training and out of it. Not fat off training, but definitely not as toned as when I'm training. Oh and even though I know some people probably won't see this, adding muscle(ie working out with weights) can help you burn more calories even at rest. You do that and you don't have to cut back so much on your intake. And trust me, at some point, just cutting back won't be enough as you age. You will have to include some kind of workout regimen, maybe even to just maintain your weight. Hormone changes at middle age are a bitch.

Weights lifting and aerobics also offer innumerable benefits to the 'insides'. Stronger bones reinforced by strong muscles around it(and you notice a difference the older you get with that kind of support), better cardiovascular health, and its actually very good for mental well-being. I attribute most people thinking I'm a decade younger then what I am to healthy eating, water intake, and good old physical hard work in the gym and out.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2011, 05:48:47 AM »
Exercise is like anything else, it takes commitment. It's like work, marriage, or anything else. You don't always get the kind of immediate 'pay off' that makes it worth the effort, but its there and actually, once you get past the initial drudgery, you actually might come to like it and find your 'niche' in it, but it requires trying more then one thing and doing it a few times to get a feel for what that fit is. I love just about every workout activity but love step, dance, and weights...I"m also learning to love running. Maybe I love it so much because my brain works hard all day at work--it's so nice to just expend physical energy in contrast and let the brain rest(unless I'm learning choreo :-))

Anyone who says it does nothing for your body on the outside, hasn't done it long enough or/and done it right. There is a significant difference for me between my body during my 'training periods' and my off time when I get busy with other things and can't commit as much time--I've never known anyone who does it with any commitment who would tell you there is no difference in the way their body looks during training and out of it. Not fat off training, but definitely not as toned as when I'm training. Oh and even though I know some people probably won't see this, adding muscle(ie working out with weights) can help you burn more calories even at rest. You do that and you don't have to cut back so much on your intake. And trust me, at some point, just cutting back won't be enough as you age. You will have to include some kind of workout regimen, maybe even to just maintain your weight. Hormone changes at middle age are a bitch.

Weights lifting and aerobics also offer innumerable benefits to the 'insides'. Stronger bones reinforced by strong muscles around it(and you notice a difference the older you get with that kind of support), better cardiovascular health, and its actually very good for mental well-being. I attribute most people thinking I'm a decade younger then what I am to healthy eating, water intake, and good old physical hard work in the gym and out.

At what age do we send kids to the gym or limit their diet when they still have baby fat????

Do we limit a child's food when they are 2 years old and are still chubby from breast feeding or drinking cows milk ???

3-4 years old and still a bit chubby, is this the time to limit their nutritional intake for growth ????

5-8 years old, is this the time to put girls and boys on a diet so they resemble the other kids that just by metabolism be naturally thin???

What to do with a 9 or 10 year old girl that begins to grow boobs, bind them so they look like their classmates. Some girls mature fast and have periods at 10, do we swear them to secrecy as they are different from other class mates?????

Girls that mature slowly do we buy them padded bras so they look like their classmates????    Give them the idea that they are deformed in some way and now have to fake it??????

What the **** are we doing to our kids in trying to make them all look alike by using a Holleywood scale on what is right and wrong????

Give nature a chance to do what is right for the kids, if later on down the line the kids decide to exercise or diet for their own reasons encourage them.

It is child abuse to to try to make over a young child to what you want them to look like.  To insist a child of any size or shape resemble everyone else is horrid, removes self identity and in the end gives us angry and out of control children.

Fancy having parents that are thin, a sibling that is thin and have all of them feeding you rabbit food while they eat meat and potatoes.     The conclusion to the child is that they are deformed, bad or an embarrassment to their family.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2011, 01:04:42 PM »
At what age do we send kids to the gym or limit their diet when they still have baby fat????

Do we limit a child's food when they are 2 years old and are still chubby from breast feeding or drinking cows milk ???

3-4 years old and still a bit chubby, is this the time to limit their nutritional intake for growth ????

5-8 years old, is this the time to put girls and boys on a diet so they resemble the other kids that just by metabolism be naturally thin???

What to do with a 9 or 10 year old girl that begins to grow boobs, bind them so they look like their classmates. Some girls mature fast and have periods at 10, do we swear them to secrecy as they are different from other class mates?????

Girls that mature slowly do we buy them padded bras so they look like their classmates????    Give them the idea that they are deformed in some way and now have to fake it??????

What the **** are we doing to our kids in trying to make them all look alike by using a Holleywood scale on what is right and wrong????

Give nature a chance to do what is right for the kids, if later on down the line the kids decide to exercise or diet for their own reasons encourage them.

It is child abuse to to try to make over a young child to what you want them to look like.  To insist a child of any size or shape resemble everyone else is horrid, removes self identity and in the end gives us angry and out of control children.

Fancy having parents that are thin, a sibling that is thin and have all of them feeding you rabbit food while they eat meat and potatoes.     The conclusion to the child is that they are deformed, bad or an embarrassment to their family.

My ex's older sister is small boned, about 5'4", when we were in our 20's (when I first met her), she was obsessive about her weight and lived on coffee, TAB and cigarettes. (Her husband, father, uncles, brother are all doctors). She was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease in her early 30's. Since she was treated with steroids, which made her "blow up", she became even more obsessive with her weight. About the only thing that changed in her "diet" was she switched out the TAB for Diet Coke. From pictures I have seen of her, that my kids have had, she's still very thin, and I think she has quit smoking.

Her husband, 30 years ago, was a short, stubby, husky guy. Maybe 5'6" on a tall day, and close to 180 or so. He has thinned down over the years, at some point decided he would start running and has stayed fairly trim for someone with a larger bone structure.

Their oldest child is a boy. He is built just like his mother, only is a bit taller, but thin and never had to worry about weight. Very bright, a doctor, married with twins. Yeah...he's PERFECT.  ::)

Their second child - a daughter - died of SIDS at 5 weeks.

Their third child is Kate. Kate was my flower girl when I got married. She was two and a half, and quite cute but also quite chubby. She has her father's bone structure.

I was a member of that family, for 15 years. In all that time, I never ever remember anyone in that family saying a complimentary thing about Kate.

She was "fat". She "has the biggest, ugliest hands and feet". She "has terrible hair". She's "a slob". She's "not very bright". She "has fat thighs". My ex mother in law, was absolutely hateful about that child. Her own mother wasn't much better.

A month after Kate turned 15, she attempted suicide. Thank God, she was found in time. She spent the next 60 days in a psych hospital in Omaha, then was packed off to MN to boarding school to repeat her sophmore year of high school, and stay there until she graduated from high school. Couldn't have her in their small town, and sully the family reputation you know.  :censored:

I've seen her picture on facebook because both of my kids are "friends" with her.

She is now 36, divorced with 3 beautiful children, a teacher, and a truly beautiful blonde woman. Slender, about 5'2 or 3", and from what my kids say, she's a super terrific person.

They also have said that she doesn't spend much time with her parents. Gee, I wonder why?

Kate's a perfect example of the damage a child's own family can do, when the child doesn't look just like them.

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Firechild

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2011, 11:24:21 PM »

I eat over 3000 calories a day and I can eat just about anything...so sorry that working out is boring to you...I find it exhilarating and it gives me more energy, but everyone's going to have different views.  I respect yours and good luck (:    I'm 5'8 and 150 lbs, but in a size 5...muscle is way denser than fat.  Soo, I really don't think about weight loss, I think about muscle to fat ratios iow's body composition

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2011, 04:52:36 AM »
I eat over 3000 calories a day and I can eat just about anything...so sorry that working out is boring to you...I find it exhilarating and it gives me more energy, but everyone's going to have different views.  I respect yours and good luck (:    I'm 5'8 and 150 lbs, but in a size 5...muscle is way denser than fat.  Soo, I really don't think about weight loss, I think about muscle to fat ratios iow's body composition

Hi 5! My size is smaller too when I have more lean muscle mass at the same weight.