Author Topic: Sleep Issues  (Read 9215 times)

Offline Eagle Kammback

• Probationary (Probie)
  • It's gonna be big!
Sleep Issues
« on: March 08, 2011, 03:21:33 AM »
Well, been lying in bed trying to sleep for about 5 hours now, this is the worst I've been in a while, I usually can fall asleep within 2 or 3 hours (after taking 2 advil PMs), whihc is long compared to how quickly I should sleep
My mind just doesn't shut down
I used to think it's because I sleep late, sometimes 1PM, but I thought I slept late because I fell asleep late
It's not like I didn't do anything today and now have energy that wants to be used, I woke up around 9 and busted my ass at work most of the day (3-11 shift)
I've tried a bunch of things, I'd rather not take pills (I didn't take the PMs tonight figuring I'd fall asleep quickly because of everything I did today)
I even put on one of my Pat Metheny Group albums (American Garage)
I don't know if it's subconscious nervousness because of a date I have on Saturday, but I don't feel nervous
I had ADHD as a kid, they say I don't now, but I think I still have ADD, though I haven't taken meds for it in several years.
Seriously, I just can't stop thinking, about anything and everything

Does anybody here have any advice
I stand atop a spiral stair
An oracle confronts me there
He leads me on light years away
Through astral nights, galactic days
I see the works of gifted hands
That grace this strange and wondrous land
I see the hand of man arise
With hungry mind and open eyes

Offline catsmtrods

Re: Sleep Issues
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 03:29:16 AM »
Its that shift. When I do that I can't sleep for shit.
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 07:57:22 AM »
May I suggest Melatonin?  It won't knock you out like some of those sleep meds.  It is primarily used for people to overcome jet lag and regulate their sleeping patterns.  You can buy it in the vitamin section of your local drug store.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 08:52:03 AM »
Well, been lying in bed trying to sleep for about 5 hours now, this is the worst I've been in a while, I usually can fall asleep within 2 or 3 hours (after taking 2 advil PMs), whihc is long compared to how quickly I should sleep
My mind just doesn't shut down
I used to think it's because I sleep late, sometimes 1PM, but I thought I slept late because I fell asleep late
It's not like I didn't do anything today and now have energy that wants to be used, I woke up around 9 and busted my ass at work most of the day (3-11 shift)
I've tried a bunch of things, I'd rather not take pills (I didn't take the PMs tonight figuring I'd fall asleep quickly because of everything I did today)
I even put on one of my Pat Metheny Group albums (American Garage)
I don't know if it's subconscious nervousness because of a date I have on Saturday, but I don't feel nervous
I had ADHD as a kid, they say I don't now, but I think I still have ADD, though I haven't taken meds for it in several years.
Seriously, I just can't stop thinking, about anything and everything

Does anybody here have any advice

When my head hits the pillow I'm out like a light, but my Husband is the opposite, not sure if it's hereditary because his Mom is the same way, they tend to worry about so many things that it interferes with their sleeping. I bought 1 of those machines that play nature sounds, sounds like a streaming river, rain etc. but it hasn't worked.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 04:11:29 PM »
Valerian, melatonin, perhaps a pharmaceutical drug.  Everyone is different.  Every night is different, for the same person.  My husband suffers from insomnia.  I did for 20 years until I started taking Benadryl.  I do have allergies, but they're under control from shots nowadays, but without the Benadryl I can't sleep.

Good luck; it's a very common problem, but maddeningly elusive to treat.
Sneaking into a country doesn't make you an immigrant any
more than breaking into someone's house makes you part of the family.
(Poster bolky from thehill.com blog discussion)

Offline Inga

• Be Ready
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 09:52:54 PM »
I like catnip,pretty good stuff and inexpensive.
There will always be "Battles" to fight.

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 09:58:47 PM »
Tense and release works for me, a lot of times I am out before I make it through my whole body.

Sometimes I count too.  I count from 1-33 and try to focus on the numbers, actually see them, and usually I am out by 18.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 10:27:22 PM »
I take a zanaflex and within an hour I am out.  Love that stuff, doesn't make me feel groggy at all and is out of me within 2 hrs

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 10:36:33 PM »
I drink chamomile tea and read a book that doesn't interest me.  When I actually climb into bed, I keep thinking about the boring book, or "put" myself in a pleasant place.  It used to be a mountain meadow, and I had a couple horses and camping stuff along, they were munching grass nearby and I was listening to water run in the stream, etc.  Since I have 5 kids, another good place is a house that only I live in...I'm relaxing in a lounge after doing some gardening or cutting firewood or some hard labor, the sun is warm, I'm all alone with no money worries, no demanding kids, no problems at all.  Even the dogs are quiet and obedient.   :-) :-)

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 02:43:35 AM »
I use raw alcohol and electronic music. Puts me out like a light.

Can't say this will work for you - just throwing it out there.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 04:41:15 AM »
Tense and release works for me, a lot of times I am out before I make it through my whole body.

Sometimes I count too.  I count from 1-33 and try to focus on the numbers, actually see them, and usually I am out by 18.

I run through square numbers from 1-99, but lately have been working into the three digit numbers.

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 05:05:32 AM »
What is this 'sleep' you speak of? 
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 02:49:59 PM »
Mrs E is perplexed and envious about my ability to fall asleep.

She's gone so far as to put a timer on me. Within 40 seconds, usually, I'm out after having put the Kindle down or having come back from the bathroom.

No sleep aids, no tea, no alcohol, no counting, no sheep ---- oh, wait....... :rotf:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 06:39:56 PM »

She's gone so far as to put a timer on me. Within 40 seconds, usually, I'm out after having put the Kindle down or having come back from the bathroom.

No sleep aids, no tea, no alcohol, no counting, no sheep ---- oh, wait....... :rotf:

Hey Eupher??

:bird:

I consider myself lucky if I get 2½ hours of sleep at a time. You wouldn't BELIEVE all of the crap I take to get to sleep.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 09:08:18 PM »
Hey Eupher??

:bird:

I consider myself lucky if I get 2½ hours of sleep at a time. You wouldn't BELIEVE all of the crap I take to get to sleep.

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I can't sleep longer than 4 hours at a time -- the bladder gets me up. And it'll get worse as I get older.

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 05:08:49 PM »
Well, if it makes you feel any better, I can't sleep longer than 4 hours at a time -- the bladder gets me up. And it'll get worse as I get older.

Don't know if it would help you, Eupher, but I've ALWAYS been plagued by bladder issues.  Until very recently I would be awakened a minimum of 3 times a night.  Then, for a separate health issue, my doctor prescribed Neurontin.  It didn't do squat for my fibromyalgia but it did seem to quiet the bladder nerve endings enough for me to sleep like a baby a minimum of six hours now.
Sneaking into a country doesn't make you an immigrant any
more than breaking into someone's house makes you part of the family.
(Poster bolky from thehill.com blog discussion)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 07:59:08 PM »
Well, so far I'm getting up only once. Later on when I have to get up 2-3 times a night, I'll give the doc a call and request a built-in catheter.  :rotf:

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2011, 05:29:31 AM »

If I sleep longer than 4 hours, dang kids wake me up checking to see if I'm breathing. I sleep about 6 hrs once a week.
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Offline whiffleball

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2011, 06:06:27 AM »
I feel for you.  I've struggled with insomnia for years.  I'll feel sleepy, but as soon as I begin to drift off my mind starts to whirl like a hamster wheel on steroids.

There are some good suggestions here that are worth a try.  Someone said upthread that everyone's body is different and that's excellent advice to keep in mind.  I know I've tried everything mentioned here with no results.  The only thing that helps me without a hangover is Xanax. 

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2011, 09:51:01 AM »
Well, so far I'm getting up only once. Later on when I have to get up 2-3 times a night, I'll give the doc a call and request a built-in catheter.  :rotf:

I tell ya what........ I'm REAL close to asking for a Foley Catheter......  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Scoobie

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2011, 08:58:17 PM »

Since last Sunday, I've only had about 16 hours of sleep, total.

It has definitely affected my mood and mental clarity.

Tylenol PM here I come.   :yawn:

When we are motivated by goals that have deep meaning, by dreams that need completion, by pure love that needs expressing -- then we truly live life.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2011, 09:09:30 PM »

LOL, my head hits the pillow and I'm sound asleep, hubby is the opposite. 1 night he was having a tough time sleeping and asked me to rub his head, I said sure, so I'm rubbing his head for about a minute then my hand stops, right before I fell asleep I hear him say "I asked you to rub my head so I can fall asleep and you fall asleep" LOLOL!
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2011, 09:11:17 PM »

Slacker!

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2011, 11:03:54 PM »
LOL, my head hits the pillow and I'm sound asleep, hubby is the opposite. 1 night he was having a tough time sleeping and asked me to rub his head, I said sure, so I'm rubbing his head for about a minute then my hand stops, right before I fell asleep I hear him say "I asked you to rub my head so I can fall asleep and you fall asleep" LOLOL!

:-)

Yeah, isn't it funny how our spouses can be completely annoyed at us because we, uh, well, zzzzzzzzzz

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2011, 11:06:17 AM »
:-)

Yeah, isn't it funny how our spouses can be completely annoyed at us because we, uh, well, zzzzzzzzzz

Sleep is weird for some of us, once I get to sleep I have very vivid dreams, when I was on the nicotine patch I had a hard time knowing if I was a sleep and dreaming  I was awake, or awake and thinking I was still dreaming.

We have sleep Labs that get into the workings of sleep and even they do don't know why even goldfish dream.

What about people that never remember their dreams at all???     Then there are us who have recurring dreams that may be a subconscious warning.

I wonder what my pets dream of they yip, yelp and their legs move, my cats keep a stoic stance, never let anyone know what is going on.