Author Topic: Insurers mine social networks for fraud  (Read 793 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Insurers mine social networks for fraud
« on: January 26, 2011, 11:54:56 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x278109

When I saw the thread title I thought ... So?  Then I remembered these are DUmmies we're dealing with;

The Straight Story  (1000+ posts)        Wed Jan-26-11 12:29 PM
Original message

Insurers mine social networks for fraud

CHICAGO, Jan. 25 (UPI) -- Insurance companies are using Facebook and other social networking sites to find evidence of fraud, although experts say they are cautious.
Peter Foley, vice president of claims at American Insurance Association, said investigators should automatically do "a quick scan of social media to check for contradictions," the Chicago Tribune reports. Foley said, however, that a Facebook picture of someone claiming disability running a race is a signal to investigate further, not automatic proof of dishonesty.

Nathalie Blanchard of Quebec learned the hard way about what can happen. She had taken a leave of absence from IBM because of severe depression and then lost her benefits after investigators for Manulife Financial Corp. found pictures of her on Facebook on a beach and drinking at a pub.

Blanchard is now suing to get her benefits reinstated. Her lawyer, Tom Lavin, said people tend to present a rosy picture on Facebook.

http://www.1310wdtw.com/cc-common/news/sections/lifesty...

Uben  (1000+ posts)        Wed Jan-26-11 12:35 PM
Response to Original message

1. Another good reason I don't do social networking.....

I wonder how many more industries are catching on?

Initech (1000+ posts)        Wed Jan-26-11 12:39 PM
Response to Reply #1

2. I don't use it either, and this is another good reason not to.

KC

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline true_blood

Re: Insurers mine social networks for fraud
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 11:59:16 AM »
Uben  (1000+ posts)        Wed Jan-26-11 12:35 PM
Response to Original message
1. Another good reason I don't do social networking.....I wonder how many more industries are catching on?
No need to worry about it primitive. You need a job to get fired from first. :wink: :tongue:

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 12:06:04 PM »
So not only do these asstards fake injuries and illness they apparently feel the need to brag about it so strongly they have to keep off public channels.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 12:12:33 PM »
So not only do these asstards fake injuries and illness they apparently feel the need to brag about it so strongly they have to keep off public channels.

The only place to hide must be the DU panic room.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Karin

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 12:21:30 PM »
"Catching on."  Interesting choice of words. 

When I lived in Maine, and worked at a paper mill, bilking the workers comp system was a beloved art form amongst the unionized.  We had PI's going full time, tracking these guys and girls.  They were supposed to be flat on their backs, but were photographed putting up a log cabin. 

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 12:21:37 PM »
I have no problem with that at all.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 12:22:21 PM »
DUmmies, if that picture of you smiling and partying it up in a bar is from during the period you're claiming to be "depressed", that's fraud.  If the picture was from a trip you took five years ago (and I have older pictures than that on my FB), that's another story.

Memo to DUmmies--timing is everything.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 12:44:50 PM »
DUmmies, if that picture of you smiling and partying it up in a bar is from during the period you're claiming to be "depressed", that's fraud.  If the picture was from a trip you took five years ago (and I have older pictures than that on my FB), that's another story.

Memo to DUmmies--timing is everything.

Any pic of me on net is at least 10 years old, maybe more. I doubt anyone would recognize me, but then again, ya ain't gonna find pics of me runnin' no race! Not even if they were 20 years old!!!!!!!! That's what the hell they make cars for!

I might get a little shit over the one with me teachin' one of my grandsons to walk, but, I had a 50 lb limit, and I don't think he was quite there yet! LOL!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline jukin

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 01:03:04 PM »

It sure isn't like someone would be video taping them at some kind of work.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 01:09:02 PM »
DUmmies, it's not like these companies do not hire private investigators to check up on your claims if they received evidence that you're not really disabled.  This has been going on before Facebook even showed up on the radar.
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 01:10:14 PM »

When I lived in Maine, and worked at a paper mill, bilking the workers comp system was a beloved art form amongst the unionized.  We had PI's going full time, tracking these guys and girls.  They were supposed to be flat on their backs, but were photographed putting up a log cabin. 

The best story I ever got on anyone I investigated, was the one we busted bowling.  Not only were they bowling, but they just hit a high league score.  They were awarded with a plaque, and their picture hanging in the bowling alley.   :whatever:
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 01:10:16 PM »

Good, you hit on it.

I did a really quick scan of the thread before posting. 
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 01:55:47 PM »
It sure isn't like someone would be video taping them at some kind of work.

Excellent! I just had a brainstorm! Think I'll contact a few insurance companies and Workman's Comp and off my services for exposin' these asshole that make it so hard for me to document an obvious physical disability!

I think my daughter has a pretty decent cam corder! I won't ask for a dime unless we bust one of these thieves and only then negotiate a percentage.

Man's gotta make a livin' after all and i got some time on my hands before I can manage my next surgery!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline blitzkrieg_17

• The harder they come, the harder they fall
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 05:38:27 PM »
Excellent! I just had a brainstorm! Think I'll contact a few insurance companies and Workman's Comp and off my services for exposin' these asshole that make it so hard for me to document an obvious physical disability!

I think my daughter has a pretty decent cam corder! I won't ask for a dime unless we bust one of these thieves and only then negotiate a percentage.

Man's gotta make a livin' after all and i got some time on my hands before I can manage my next surgery!

And yet I spent the better part of 36 months trying to convince the state that I *didn't* have a disability. They seem to have it bass-ackwards.
Caught somewhere in time

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2011, 06:48:55 PM »
Seems reasonable to me. If you are on disability and you have pics showing you doing things only an able bodied person can it is reasonable for them to check it out. The article didn't say the picture alone will get you the axe it said it will trigger an investigation.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2011, 07:35:05 PM »
Any pic of me on net is at least 10 years old, maybe more. I doubt anyone would recognize me, but then again, ya ain't gonna find pics of me runnin' no race! Not even if they were 20 years old!!!!!!!! That's what the hell they make cars for!

I might get a little shit over the one with me teachin' one of my grandsons to walk, but, I had a 50 lb limit, and I don't think he was quite there yet! LOL!

Me, 2005 Los Angeles Marathon.  30 KM (19 mile) mark.  Don't ask me why I was smiling.  Haven't run an official marathon in 4 years.  Have to work back up to it.

“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2011, 07:38:08 PM »
DUmmies, it's not like these companies do not hire private investigators to check up on your claims if they received evidence that you're not really disabled.  This has been going on before Facebook even showed up on the radar.

You kiddin?  The Boston Herald has at least 2-3 stories a month of those "selfless" public sector workers scamming the system for disability to the tune of 100K a year each.  One that sticks in my mind was a firefighter who claimed he was injured on the job but amazingly enough was well enough to train and enter a bodybuilding contest while on disability.

And the union said they would, "Look into it."

Offline true_blood

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2011, 12:29:30 PM »
You kiddin?  The Boston Herald has at least 2-3 stories a month of those "selfless" public sector workers scamming the system for disability to the tune of 100K a year each.  One that sticks in my mind was a firefighter who claimed he was injured on the job but amazingly enough was well enough to train and enter a bodybuilding contest while on disability.
And the union said they would, "Look into it."
I remember that story. Dude was ripped, all jacked up and was being video taped by someone at the bodybuilding contest. So much for that back injury, huh?! ::)