Author Topic: I bet the day comes when if your 401k is worth too much you lose SS!  (Read 731 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x50624

Oh this ought to be good!

This one is newly lit but it'll bear watching!

KansasVoter  (1000+ posts)       

Tue Dec-21-10 12:30 PM
Original message

I bet the day comes when if your 401k is worth too much you lose SS!

I am getting a sense that that is an option on the table. I hope I am wrong but i think it is coming.

dionysus  (1000+ posts)       

Tue Dec-21-10 12:34 PM
Response to Original message

2. honest question... do you just imagine the worst thing possible off the top of your head,

and assume that's what obama is going to do?

I thought all the DUmmies wanted to make sure the EVIL RICH didn't get their hands on SS money.  Sounds to me like if you have too much in your 401k to participate then you are, by DUmmie definition, EVIL RICH!  You shouldn't NEED the SS money that needs to be passed around to those beneath you.

hehe.  This one could get interesting.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline true_blood

Re: I bet the day comes when if your 401k is worth too much you lose SS!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 11:45:15 AM »
Democrats_win  (1000+ posts)   Tue Dec-21-10 12:42 PM
Response to Original message
5. Hey, someone has to pay for the mistakes of the bush pResidency. If the filthy rich refuse to pay, guess who's next in line? The working class with their 401ks sticking out! It's not right that the people who benefited enormously from the failed bush presidency aren't paying for it. Worse, the working class and the poor WILL be paying for it. Obama guaranteed that with his Rotten Deal tax compromise.
And,....of course. It's Bush's fault.
Primitives = EPIC FAIL!

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 02:54:40 PM »
Well waddya expect ya stupid dumpmonkey? Your blessed federal government has made a habit of rewarding irresponsible behavior so that Bubba down the road, that guy that spends his entire paycheck on steaks, beer, flat screen TV's and the like, will be taken care of while the rest of us, that sacrifice and save, get screwed out of the money that was taken from us by force.

Personally... I would be elated if I got out of SS exactly what I put into it. Ain't gonna happen but then I don't leave my survival up to the government either. When I retire, I am gonna be able to do what I want and have the money to do it. I put the max in to the 401 and I also invest another 10-15 percent in other investments. My goal is to replace my salary 120 percent and I do not factor in SS.

The day that happens is the day I retire.
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 03:08:30 PM »
Well waddya expect ya stupid dumpmonkey? Your blessed federal government has made a habit of rewarding irresponsible behavior so that Bubba down the road, that guy that spends his entire paycheck on steaks, beer, flat screen TV's and the like, will be taken care of while the rest of us, that sacrifice and save, get screwed out of the money that was taken from us by force.

Personally... I would be elated if I got out of SS exactly what I put into it. Ain't gonna happen but then I don't leave my survival up to the government either. When I retire, I am gonna be able to do what I want and have the money to do it. I put the max in to the 401 and I also invest another 10-15 percent in other investments. My goal is to replace my salary 120 percent and I do not factor in SS.

The day that happens is the day I retire.

One problem is that the DemonRats want control of private pensions so they can redistribute them.

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 03:42:48 PM »
Exactly! Bobo would get 80% and you'd get 40.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 03:55:21 PM »
Well, I don't have a 401K, but an analogous sort of program.  But if I did, personally I'd think that was fantastic, it would mean my 401K was fabulously, impossibly successful beyond my wildest dreams of avarice, and the SS was an unnecessary bit of icing on the cake.

Seriously, even a means-tested SS benefit in this scenario (Which is what the muddy-thinking dope is really talking about) would be tested year-to-year, and if it was even possible for this to happen in a given year, it wouldn't last indefinitely and the dope would be right back at full SS benefit as soon as the 401K payout was exhausted or dropped to a more normal level.

However, multi-component benefit systems like FERS for Federal employees joining since the mid-80s incorporate a very modest defined benefit, a participatory plan, AND SS as part of the entire retirement package, and it is therefore unlikely that a 401K itself would preclude SS (though in means-testing, multiple retirements or other earned or passive income might), since the whole concept of the 401K is that it's supposed to complement and supplement SS, not compete with it.   
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 04:04:19 PM »
Exactly! Bobo would get 80% and you'd get 40.

She gets the gold mine, you get the shaft.

On your mark, get set, bend over, cause here it comes again.  Once they get means testing of social insecurity next up will be the fair and equitable redistribution of the profits from the greedy 401k owners who reaped their rewards (profits) on the back of the needy like bobo the hobo. Wait for it. 

It isn't even that novel anymore, in fact the dims are late to the party.

Or this one might be of interest as another example...
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline jukin

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 06:22:10 PM »
Anybody under 58 that thinks they will be getting what is promised them in SS is sadly mistaken.

Just imagine what you could have done with 12.8% (6.4% you, 6.4% your employer) of your earning over 45 years. Now add the magic of compounding interest. Granted not as good as a government employee that puts in NOTHING and gets 90% of their highest salary...and pays NO FICA TAX but still better than plain old SS by a mile. And unless the communist democrat party gets their way, you could pass that on to your spouse and children.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 06:54:56 PM »
KansasVoter  (1000+ posts)       
Tue Dec-21-10 12:30 PM

I bet the day comes when if your 401k is worth too much you lose SS!
I fail to see why this DUmmy is upset.  This is exactly the sort of "progressive" taxation liberals have been advocating for decades.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 07:37:45 PM »
Anybody under 58 that thinks they will be getting what is promised them in SS is sadly mistaken.

Just imagine what you could have done with 12.8% (6.4% you, 6.4% your employer) of your earning over 45 years. Now add the magic of compounding interest. Granted not as good as a government employee that puts in NOTHING and gets 90% of their highest salary...and pays NO FICA TAX but still better than plain old SS by a mile. And unless the communist democrat party gets their way, you could pass that on to your spouse and children.

Ummm...federal employees do pay into SS and are covered under FERS. You are thinking of the old civil service retirement plan which was phased out back in the 80's. At that time those in it were given the choice to stay in it or switch to FERS. Just a head's up. Another fallacy...federal employees pay no health insurance premiums. The premiums are actually available online if you know where to look...they are not 'free' and are comparable to private company plans--including the copays associated with them. 

Offline jukin

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 09:20:04 PM »
Ummm...federal employees do pay into SS and are covered under FERS. You are thinking of the old civil service retirement plan which was phased out back in the 80's. At that time those in it were given the choice to stay in it or switch to FERS. Just a head's up. Another fallacy...federal employees pay no health insurance premiums. The premiums are actually available online if you know where to look...they are not 'free' and are comparable to private company plans--including the copays associated with them. 

IIRC, in kalifornia our city/county/teachers do not pay into SS.  Some may get it because they have enough quarters before they went into government service.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 09:37:13 PM »
IIRC, in kalifornia our city/county/teachers do not pay into SS.  Some may get it because they have enough quarters before they went into government service.

Many municipalities, that is still standard, especially for teachers. My father has been with an agency 25+ years and was grandfathered in under the old civil service retirement. And yes, it is service, but it is important to remember that many veterans warm the chairs of those federal government jobs, continuing a long career in service to country.  Veterans are in fact given preference, as are their spouses, in federal hiring. I'm about to start the civil service journey to and proudly as a support vehicle for our servicemen and women and their infrastructure. Very exciting. :cheersmate: (PS I will be paying SS :-) or maybe I should post this: me beating SS--> :hammer: :-)

What I'll give you is that federal employees probably do get more of that money back that they put into SS at retirement.