Author Topic: Harry Potter (Daniel Radcliffe) speaks for gay suicide prevention  (Read 590 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x7804088#7804438

Kadie  (1000+ posts)        

Fri Feb-26-10 08:22 PM
Original message

Harry Potter (Daniel Radcliffe) speaks for gay suicide prevention  
 Harry Potter speaks for gay suicide prevention
By MICHAEL KUCHWARA, AP Drama Writer

Friday, February 26, 2010

(02-26) 16:36 PST NEW YORK, (AP) --

Daniel Radcliffe is explaining why he has just filmed a public service announcement for The Trevor Project, the leading organization focusing on suicide prevention efforts among gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered youth.

Because his parents were both actors, "I grew up knowing a lot of gay men and it was never something that I even thought twice about — that some men were gay and some weren't," the "Harry Potter" megastar said Friday. "And then I went to school and (for) the first time ... I came across homophobia. ... I had never encountered it before. It shocked me.

"I have always hated anybody who is not tolerant of gay men or lesbians or bisexuals," he added. "Now I am in the very fortunate position where I can actually help or do something about it."

The result is a PSA that was filmed Friday at the organization's Wall Street offices. The announcement is scheduled to air sometime this spring.

Radcliffe first became aware of The Trevor Project, founded in 1998 by three filmmakers, while he was appearing on Broadway in the 2008 revival of "Equus." Their movie, "Trevor," which won an Academy Award for best short film, concerned a gay teen who attempts suicide. The Trevor Project allows young people to call in for counseling or just to talk.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2010/0...

How 'tolerant' of young Mr. Radcliffe.   ::)

bobbolink  (1000+ posts)        

Fri Feb-26-10 09:18 PM
Response to Reply #8

10. Now if he would just take up the cause of homeless gay youth!
 Somebody needs to do it!

:lmao:

Yes, yes, because we all know that suicide by homeless gay youth is so much worse than by the 'homed' gay youth!  That shit is funny.  I'm leaning more and more to bobbo the hobo being a mole.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Lord Undies

Re: Harry Potter (Daniel Radcliffe) speaks for gay suicide prevention
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 10:04:46 PM »
"I have always hated anybody who is not tolerant of gay men or lesbians or bisexuals," he added. "Now I am in the very fortunate position where I can actually help or do something about it."

Master Harry sounds a bit hetrophobic.  He HATES anyone who didn't grow up with two actor parents to expose them to perverts and queers all their lives.  If you or I do not share Harry's life experience, which would have allowed us to see the abnormal as normal and the perverted as the usual, we are worthy of his hatred. 

Young Master harry must be a disgusting lefty.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 10:09:20 PM »
Master Harry sounds a bit hetrophobic.  He HATES anyone who didn't grow up with two actor parents to expose them to perverts and queers all their lives.  If you or I do not share Harry's life experience, which would have allowed us to see the abnormal as normal and the perverted as the usual, we are worthy of his hatred. 

Young Master harry must be a disgusting lefty.
Yes, the little bugger sounds like a worthy contemporary for the chinless 'Bama butterball, with the main difference between them being that he has some minimal talent, while poor Ava has none.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
This is the same kid that couldn't wait to turn 18 and perform nude in the stage version of Equus , isn't it?

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 10:36:21 PM »
Yep.

Do NOT let your kids go into showbiz while their still kids.

You end up with messed up people.

Offline jukin

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 12:06:16 AM »
Can a wrist be limp enough to never be able to slice?
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline kenth

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 12:14:07 AM »
Can a wrist be limp enough to never be able to slice?

He probably had a stunt double for the wand holding scenes.

Offline Duchess

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 12:04:13 PM »
Liars, they don't want "tolerance" of queers, they want celebration, to be embraced, to be validated by normal people because deep down in their souls they know they're disgusting and an abomination and they hope that if enough people will validate them, they can get past their self-hate. They won't recognise that even if the whole world "tolerates" them, you can't fool Mother Nature, and they'll still be disgusting abnormal aberrations.